Rumours doing the rounds again

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
stearmaster

Rumours doing the rounds again

Post by stearmaster »

Rumours, rumours, rumours, seemingly the Henry one has died down but now it’s Cesc-talk again and sadly I don’t see an end to this crap, our players will be "linked" constantly from now until the start of the new season. Fine, transfer rumours are part and parcel of the off season....but at least have something to really back up the rumours...with something concrete! Because every season we have these rumours pop up and eventually the rumour spreading sites and even the tabloids, end up in a "pissing in the wind" scenario.

The frustration for me, is when one looks for decent articles on newsnow, one always has the crap from tribalfootball and some other shitty sites filtering through. Where they get their info from is beyond me. Do they hire mediums, have writers with ESP....???

You take various transfer rumours, Van Persie to Bayern, Robin is one of the many top talents on display at Arsenal at the moment. Moving to the Bundesliga, which is not a league to rival the Premiership, La Liga and the Serie A, then when you take into account, Bayern have only qualified for the UEFA CUP, it boggles the mind. Yes, we still need to qualify for the Champions League Proper but do you see Van Persie swapping clubs, a club that has surged him into the Dutch national squad for Bayern Munich? In the last 3 weeks alone, Bayern Munich, desperate to get back into winning ways next season, have been snubbed by Robben (Chelsea), Sneijder (Ajax), Diego (Bremen), Van der Vaart (Hamburg) and the list continues. When I heard on German telly the fee that was talked about, 8m Pounds, I thought April Fool’s Day, came around again.

The rumour of Henry to Barcelona, a case of, "same old, same old", thought this rumour would run itself dry last season already. The guy has signed a 4 year deal at the club, meaning IF and it is a HUGE IF, he ever was supposed to leave, do you believe Arsenal will sell this club icon for peanuts, as some sites and Spanish media would suggest getting Henry on the cheap. Sometimes I do feel sorry for Henry, since I remember in an interview on SKYSPORTS when he mentioned, , "I don't know what to say any more or what to do - maybe having a T-shirt on me saying I'm staying at Arsenal and walking around London is the only thing I can do," to put an end to these rumours.

The rumour of Cesc and Real Madrid. In October, Fabregas, signed a....not a 4 year, not a 5 year, hell not even a 7 year but an EIGHT YEAR Contract. How Madrid, a team regularly in debt with their "massive" signings, will ever be able to buy him out of a bumper contract like the one he has at Arsenal ? We all also know how the mighty Real Madrid struggled to pay even the "measly" instalment sum of 4m Pounds a year for Nicolas Anelka’s services. If there was any truth in this rumour, expect quite a few Madrid players going the other way....then again...never going to happen.

Ah and finally the rumour of the Arsenal away kit for next season. In the last few weeks alone, I have seen 2/3 different kits of our "white" kit. It is a case with people with too much time on their hands....fiddling around with PhotoShop. Think the only time I will believe, which kit it will be, is when Arsenal FC put the damn thing on their official website. Lets be patient and see what Nike has cooked up for next season with the launch on the 5th of July.

When I think of the load of trash dug up and we not even in June yet, can you imagine what the next 2 months are going to be like!!!! Think if you want to bank on a few Arsenal players that will leave...without a doubt, is Reyes, Flamini and Aliadiere, hopefully their departures could add to Wengers transfer kitty for the upcoming season.

What do you think? Leave your view!!!!

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

I think its just lazy journalism (fed by greedy agents) with too much time on their hands now that the season has finished. For every player supposedly leaving us, there is another coming here - so that's another set of supporters asking the same questions! I'd be surprised if 1 in 50 of the "rumours" ever come true, so probably best to sift through them & look out for the one's which appear to have more foundation. Of the current crop I think that probably that Reyes, Baptista & Aliadiere will go, but I don't think anyone has much of a clue as to who knows who will come in....!! Good to see us sign a keeper though.

CraigPollard

Post by CraigPollard »

Is it just me, or do we all support the most frustrating in the world when it comes to transfers!

I love the fact that Arsenal keeps things behind closed doors up and until they are ready to announce what is going on, but at the same time i hate it!! We really need to add to this squad, and there are a fair few players currently in it who are being made to look better than they actually are by the more outstanding players of the team. The media know this, and they know they will never hear whats going on at Arsenal on the sly. This explains why they have a list of 11+ players that are being sold off in this transfer window, and a list probably 3 times that of players coming to us.

My personal view (AND DONT SLATE ME FOR IT) is that we need at least 4 great players coming to us. A centre back for one! Toure/Gallas is quality, but when any of them are out AW seems to resort back to swiss tony (Who never deserved the number 6 shirt!!!!!!!!!!), and lets face it, the bloke is a defensive liabilty. He is white, bald and crap in defense, Remind you of anyone???

Then we need winger, 2 of them. Ok, ok, we have loads already, but Freddie aint the player he used to be, and dont be suprised to see him pull on a pompey shirt next season, Hleb....Great on the ball, but no end product. Rosicky looks class, but we seem to get 3 games out of him, then he is out for 3 with injury. That leaves us Theo, I really do rate Theo, and i think he will be class, but i dont think he should have sole responsibilty just yet. We threw Cesc in at the deep end 3 years ago, and luckily he excelled, but it may not happen like that with different players.

Last but not least, we need that crucial goalscorer. I fuckin hated Adebayor when he joined, and for a long time after. I have since warmed to him, but when compared to TH/RVP, he doesnt come close. He seems to have a ratio of about 1 in 7, we need either him, or to get someone in who can hit about 1 in 3. A fox in the box kind of player, someone that WILL score an ugly goal, if and when its most needed!!!!

I dont know how other people feel about all this, but when you see the **** strengthening their shit excuse for a squad, and the liverpool owners saying they will pay any money to land Eto'o, and every team linked with Owen, it would just be nice to see the Arsenal appear on Sky Sports news after making some signings.

Mr Wenger, you are an Arsenal God, but exactly how long is this team going to be in transition? Do you find 2 consecutive 4th place finishes acceptable, and do you really believe that this team as it is can find an extra 21 points next season??????

Just my 2 cents........

Thanks for readin

Craig

proudtosaythatname

Post by proudtosaythatname »

Agree with Craig. We need to try a Darren Bent/Bennie McCarthy type any finisher/fox in box etc. I know Frannie didn't work but no one's perfect. My vote would be Fernando Torres, quoted at £27m but with TV revenues for the top sides it's peanuts if he does the job.

CraigPollard

Post by CraigPollard »

Glad someone agrees with me and as much as i would love to see us splash out 27 million on a player, will it ever happen????

Arsenal would be more likely to spend that on 4/5 players, all of which no one has heard of, and which need to prove themselves upon arrival.

Signing a player that already knows his trade, and which the current squad know about, would help him fit in with the other players, the crowd instantly know what to expect, and you never know, he may already have a chant!!!!

Does anyone remember when a certain Mr. Dennis Bergkamp joined us? Even Wrighty admitted he thought we had no chance of signing him, then he saw him and his wife on a motorway services and went running up to him like a fan.

Dennis didnt do too badly did he................. ;o)

Craig

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

Dennis was World class, we paid big buck for him. This is the sort of signing we need.

stearmaster

Post by stearmaster »

now we are after bellamy???

CraigPollard

Post by CraigPollard »

Once again, my point proven, the press will link us to anyone. I remember seein in the January transfer window, on the last day, a broadsheet newspaper plastered all over the backpage that we were on the verge of signing 2 argies, namely Teves and Mascherano. The same day that went to press, they both signed for West Ham!!!

What a great bit of journalism...........

Im much more of a tabloid reader, the stories, and lets face it, thats all they are are much more amusing, even more so than Dear Deidre.

Did anyone catch Liam Brady's comments in his column? It was posted on ArseBlog a few days ago, saying that we need about 2/3 players, and that AW is looking at more experienced players than the unknowns. This looks promising, an actual voice of reason to listen too.......

Lets not forget guys, Henry has been leaving for the past 3 seasons, Cesc, who is a Catalan through and through, and not to mention the small fact of a 8 year contract with The Arsenal, is to join Real Madrid every other week. Oh yeah, lets not forget for 4/5 years reading every May that Paddy Vieira was leaving, and that arsenal had to sell him and cash in on them while we could. Then the minute we sell him all of a sudden the papers slate us saying they cant believe that we sold him, and how will we cope without him, blah blah fuckin blah.

Id be less suprised if they linked us with Maradona to partner Thierry, oh wait, TH14 is leaving isnt he?????

LOAD OF BALLACKS!

Craig

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

THANK CHRIST SOMEONE HAS MENTIOMED BENNI McCARTHY.HE HAS PROVEN HIMSELF AT EUROPEAN LEVEL WITH PORTO AND WAS 2ND TOP SCORER IN THE PREMIERSHIP. I WAS SUPRISED A BIGGER CLUB THAN BLACKBURN DIDN"T SNAP HIM UP.I THINK WE COULD GET HIM FOR £12 MILLION.

GunnerTino

Post by GunnerTino »

Great reading some of the comments by you guys,have to say just as annoyed with all the "phoney war" crap that comes out of the papers.
Although it must be said that sometimes there is a "no smoke without fire"kind of scenario to some of the stuff they write.
Latching on to the Cesc to Madrid rumours,I do think that is crap but I have to say my gut instinct is that he will go back to Spain before he's 26,which is annoying considering that could see the very best from him.
I can't see Arsenal going out and spend big in the summer,just won't happen.Few reasons for this but ultimatley the board just won't release big bucks for major transfers and won't pay top,top wages.
I had a gut full of Fiszman,Endleman etc,spouting out the old chestnut of the new stadium allowing us to compete with the giants of European football,but the whole thing just sounds like a load of spin given out to encourage ticket sales!

I know I'm sounding like a right misery but thats just the vibe I seem to be picking up.I sincerly hope I'm proved totally wrong and end up with shit loads of egg on my face!

Only time will tell.

Fabregas_Is_My_Hero

Post by Fabregas_Is_My_Hero »

ok, now I've heard it all!

there were rumours saying that Arsene was trying to buy British this summer - Alright, fairplay, that's believeable

his potential british targets:
M Richards (Man City) - Believable, and would be an upgrade over Philippe 'Cygan in disguise' Sederos
Owen (NUFC) - he's being linked with everyone, so it's hardly surprising to hear, but still, it's not going to happen
AJ (Everton) - probably not going to happen, and Arsene made some derogatory remarks about him in the papers in October, but I would welcome this signing as he is a proven goal scorer in the Prem, and would be an upgrade over Aliadiere and Baps
Reo-Coker (WHU) - why would we want another DM with 'potential' when we already have Diaby, and Gilberto (for now)
Joey Barton (Man City) - Are you having a laugh???

on the subject of foreigners, there have been many names thrown around in the media.

I for one don't think Eto'o will be signed, as he has character issues and would be a distraction to the team.

Eric Abidal (the Lyon LB) will definitely NOT be signed, as we have Clichy, who has been the most improved member of the squad over the past year, and Traore is developing, and also Abidal is not an out-and-out LB, he is more like Gallas.

I heard the Torres rumours, and £27M is a lot of money, and this would be a high risk-High reward signing, not a typical wenger move, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and 2 consecutive 4th place finishes from a team capable of much better is pretty desperate.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

CraigPollard wrote:Does anyone remember when a certain Mr. Dennis Bergkamp joined us? Even Wrighty admitted he thought we had no chance of signing him, then he saw him and his wife on a motorway services and went running up to him like a fan.

Dennis didnt do too badly did he................. ;o)

Craig
We also got Charlie Nicholas against all odds and, apart from a lovely knack of being able to score against the spuds, he didn't set the world alight. I'm sure the chavs were delighted at getting Ballack & Shevchenko last season....but look what happened to them! Much as buying star players creates a bit of excitement, it is no guarantee of success - so I'm happy to leave it down to the judgement of Arsene.

If last seasons squad all stay (apart from Ali & Beast of course) & are all fit then there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to challenge.

PS a Liverpool colleague of mine says that bookies on merseyside have stopped taking bets on Henry joining them. Apparently he has already been up there looking at schools. Just see how daft some of these rumours are!!

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

The press make idiots of themselves. I was reading in the Mirror a few weeks back how Arsene confirmed that his first job once the season had finished would be to go to Madrid to sort out the futures of Reyes and Baptista. I then read in the same paper two days later that Arsene had been spotted in Madrid talking with Real which of course could only mean that he was negotiating the sale of Cesc. You just have to laugh at them at times!!

It also amuses me how they link us with 30 players, they then finally get one right and then do the old classic "We told you so" exclusive!!

Completely agree with all that you guys are saying. However the last time the Board really spent big they splashed out on Reyes. Maybe that has put them off?

goonermc

Post by goonermc »

MK Gould wrote:I think its just lazy journalism (fed by greedy agents) with too much time on their hands now that the season has finished. For every player supposedly leaving us, there is another coming here - so that's another set of supporters asking the same questions! I'd be surprised if 1 in 50 of the "rumours" ever come true, so probably best to sift through them & look out for the one's which appear to have more foundation. Of the current crop I think that probably that Reyes, Baptista & Aliadiere will go, but I don't think anyone has much of a clue as to who knows who will come in....!! Good to see us sign a keeper though.
'I think it's just lazy journalism' MK, that sentence is short and sweet but quite possibly the six truest words i've read for a long time. :!: :!:

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

Saw this in the People today and it made me laugh. The article refers to the fact that Arsene not signing a new contract and they linked it to Rosicky moving to Athletico Madrid. lol

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where the fuck did that come from?