The ''no one is coming'' Transfer Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
BFG4

Re: Is it time for a Summer Transfer Window Thread Yet?

Post by BFG4 »

When you look at our squad, its actually decent. We have two quality CB'S in Koscielny and Mustafi. We have a ball playing mid-fielder in Xhaka, and a worse class playmaker in Ozil(not to mention Sanzhez on the wing). Its up front that we have real issues. I hope Perez turns out to be a decent signing, but it reeks of a panic buy. We were only interested in him, when we had fuck all other options. It's pathetic to think that Henry left in 2007, and we still haven't replaced him.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BFG4 wrote:When you look at our squad, its actually decent. We have two quality CB'S in Koscielny and Mustafi. We have a ball playing mid-fielder in Xhaka, and a worse class playmaker in Ozil(not to mention Sanzhez on the wing). Its up front that we have real issues. I hope Perez turns out to be a decent signing, but it reeks of a panic buy. We were only interested in him, when we had fuck all other options. It's pathetic to think that Henry left in 2007, and we still haven't replaced him.
It's what makes last season so infuriating. Even with what we had in defence and midfield we had the guts of a decent side. If he'd signed a striker in January we could have won the PL. Must go down as one of the biggest missed opportunities in history. :roll:

enjibenji

Post by enjibenji »

just on the mustafi signing, did anyone see arsenal and mustafi call out that twat on twitter last night with his "ill pay everyone 20 pound if we sign mustafi and you re-tweet this" bollocks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

BFG4 wrote:When you look at our squad, its actually decent. We have two quality CB'S in Koscielny and Mustafi. We have a ball playing mid-fielder in Xhaka, and a worse class playmaker in Ozil(not to mention Sanzhez on the wing). Its up front that we have real issues. I hope Perez turns out to be a decent signing, but it reeks of a panic buy. We were only interested in him, when we had fuck all other options. It's pathetic to think that Henry left in 2007, and we still haven't replaced him.

Agree but decent doesn't win you league titles - I think that by and large kos is top quality, ozil is world class and sanchez is quality too (but not world class), but after that we have a mixture of good, unproven and decent players and when there are decent players in your starting 11, then you know that you are in trouble :( Currently we have giroud and wally in our starting 11 and neither are good enough, cazorla and cech are on a downward slide, and truth be told we should be looking for better than monreal at left full - too many sub-standard players to be serious contenders in what will be a very competitive league this season

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

OneBardGooner wrote:
the playing mantis wrote:think mustafi will be ok, but not sure hes top draw by any means

very dissapointing if gnabry is sold, when he came in to the side he looked very good beating playings scaring them by running at them and being direct. i think could be a big mistake letting him go.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

WHAT!!!???

Wenger make a mistake how dare you burn the traitor burn him I say!!!! :lol: :wink:

What is irksome and worrying is that there are still posters on here than Cannot See that regardless of who we sign - It is Wenger That IS The Problem. He is Passed It as a manager/coach - He is No Longer able to meet the demands of the Managerial Role at Arsenal (or any other club for that matter). He shies away from change and tactics - even though it is blatantly obvious to one and all that it is the ability to change and adopt new methods and approaches - regardless of the sphere one finds oneself - that makes it possible to succeed and achieve success at the highest levels.

Besides all these 'things' He has no regard or respect for the fans, he is a manipulator of the facts and truth, he is a despotic figure who wields his authority and power with utter disdain for anyone who dares speak out against him, he is a coward hiding behind the position he has created and manipulated for himself. It is we who pay the price....besides which he's a cun.t.
Well said sir!! :lol:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
the playing mantis wrote:
Nos89 wrote:So, Arsenal have bought a £30m defensive midfielder, a £35m centre back and a £17m striker. Thats a new spine to the outfield team. We supporters wanted a CB, a DM and a striker thats what we've got.
Can't argue about Mustafi and Xhaka...Perez is an unknown quantity to us the supporters, so will be equally unknown to the Premier League defences.
If we could pull out the bag the signing of Draxler or Rodriguez then it would be the best transfer window ever.

all are unknown and unproven at the highest level.
spin it as you will but none have proved them selves at big clubs or in the CL. Yes mustafi played for Germany, but I don't think he was an automatic choice before injury to others was he? regardless tye big German coward played many time for them so it means nothing.

Yes it's encouraging but none strike me as players of sufficient ability to be able to make us contenders against the best. they all seem to be just enough players to get 4th place and placate the fans. they may prove and develop into top top players but on paper they don't.

ignoring the fact they should have been signed months ago to integrate and not leaving us short for the first games of the season they will still be coached by the idiot in charge and fit in his inflexible system.

but then you won't actually blame the manager will you for any of this, simply spin it so he's done nothing wrong :? :roll:
Really? I won't blame the manager. He's got what we need, what we've been asking for all summer. I still think the board had something to do with the delays.
Mustafi replaced BFG in the world cup winning German team. We got a striker who outscored Sanchez and Giroud, whilst playing for a team that struggle to create opportunities. And a DM with a disciplinary record Vieira would be proud of, and seems like a no nonsense player.
No I don't think we'll get Draxler or Rodriguez but they would make fantastic additions to the squad.
Mate, that is stretching horsehit to its limit! :lol:

The facts tell a different story. He "outscored" Giroud in the league once over the last 4 seasons (since Giroud joined us). Giroud scored 11, 16, 14, 16 to Perez's 8, 9, 6, 17 in the corresponding seasons. If Giroud doesn't score enough and is not good enough (he doesn't and he ain't) then how is Perez "what we need" based on ONE season?? :|

Hopefully he will come good and be the striker we need, but as is he is NOT the proven 20+ PL goal a season striker that we actually udo need. So for me Wenger has not delivered that requirement at all. He has delivered a long shot, a possibility, and nothing more. :roll:
I was talking about last season. Using the stats in your post I'd say Perez goalscoring return is increasing whilst Giroud has flatlined and in decline. I'd agree about Perez being a long shot and I did say he's an unknown quantity. Sometimes a bit of optimism helps.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
Nos89 wrote:So, Arsenal have bought a £30m defensive midfielder, a £35m centre back and a £17m striker. Thats a new spine to the outfield team. We supporters wanted a CB, a DM and a striker thats what we've got.
Can't argue about Mustafi and Xhaka...Perez is an unknown quantity to us the supporters, so will be equally unknown to the Premier League defences.
If we could pull out the bag the signing of Draxler or Rodriguez then it would be the best transfer window ever.

spin it as you will but none have proved them selves at big clubs or in the CL. Yes mustafi played for Germany, but I don't think he was an automatic choice before injury to others was he? regardless tye big German coward played many time for them so it means nothing.

Yes it's encouraging but none strike me as players of sufficient ability to be able to make us contenders against the best. they all seem to be just enough players to get 4th place and placate the fans. they may prove and develop into top top players but on paper they don't.

ignoring the fact they should have been signed months ago to integrate and not leaving us short for the first games of the season they will still be coached by the idiot in charge and fit in his inflexible system.

but then you won't actually blame the manager will you for any of this, simply spin it so he's done nothing wrong :? :roll:
Really? I won't blame the manager. He's got what we need, what we've been asking for all summer. I still think the board had something to do with the delays.
Mustafi replaced BFG in the world cup winning German team. We got a striker who outscored Sanchez and Giroud, whilst playing for a team that struggle to create opportunities. And a DM with a disciplinary record Vieira would be proud of, and seems like a no nonsense player.
No I don't think we'll get Draxler or Rodriguez but they would make fantastic additions to the squad.

So you are saying that we have signed the proven top quality players that we badly need then ? Perez is a player with just ONE great season in his career and has zero international caps (for a country that has capped the likes of Llorente :oops: ) and at 27 years of age that is worrying at best. Mustafi is not proven at the top level either and has a total of just TWELVE international caps, and a record of playing for mid-table sides like Valencia and sampdoria
Finally, please don't compare xhaka to PV4 cos it is nothing short of blasphemy - xhaka is 23 years old and had previously played for clubs the size of gladbach. Yes he is only 23 years old, but he is a long way from top quality
The ONLY comparison I made with PV4 was his awful disciplinary record...hardly a compliment.
Steve Bould greatest achievement before coming to Arsenal was captaining the worst ever top league side to get relegated. He didn't turn out too bad for us.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

The facts tell a different story. He "outscored" Giroud in the league once over the last 4 seasons (since Giroud joined us). Giroud scored 11, 16, 14, 16 to Perez's 8, 9, 6, 17 in the corresponding seasons. If Giroud doesn't score enough and is not good enough (he doesn't and he ain't) then how is Perez "what we need" based on ONE season?? :|

Hopefully he will come good and be the striker we need, but as is he is NOT the proven 20+ PL goal a season striker that we actually udo need. So for me Wenger has not delivered that requirement at all. He has delivered a long shot, a possibility, and nothing more. :roll:
I was talking about last season. Using the stats in your post I'd say Perez goalscoring return is increasing whilst Giroud has flatlined and in decline. I'd agree about Perez being a long shot and I did say he's an unknown quantity. Sometimes a bit of optimism helps.
Yeah, absolutely nothing wrong with optimism, mate. And I do genuinely hope Perez turns out to be the new Wrighty or Henry. I won't pre-judge Perez on his stats as a fresh start at a new club can be all a player needs to go stratospheric (eg Bergkamp / Henry) but we needed a proven PL 20+ striker in this window, and all Wenger delivered was a possibility. To me that's him once more not successfully addressing our need. :|

MrT

Post by MrT »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Hopefully he will come good and be the striker we need, but as is he is NOT the proven 20+ PL goal a season striker that we actually do need. So for me Wenger has not delivered that requirement at all. He has delivered a long shot, a possibility, and nothing more. :roll:
It was Perez' first season as the main striker. His stats could be a lot different had he been playing there several years ago.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Nos89 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

How is Giroud in decline when he scored more than the previous season?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

MrT wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Hopefully he will come good and be the striker we need, but as is he is NOT the proven 20+ PL goal a season striker that we actually do need. So for me Wenger has not delivered that requirement at all. He has delivered a long shot, a possibility, and nothing more. :roll:
It was Perez' first season as the main striker. His stats could be a lot different had he been playing there several years ago.
Could be, should be, would be, yadda yadda. What difference does that make to the basic point - that point being we needed a proven 20+ league goals a season type striker to replace Giroud and Wenger went and bought an (as yet) unproven striker. I'm all for building a squad, and Perez may be a good addition to a squad, but you also have to address the urgent needs of the first team as well. Our most urgent need is that top striker we lack.

I'd also question your assertion that it was his "first season as the main striker". What position was he playing in during 17 league games in 2013 and 32 league games in 2014 and 21 league games in 2015?

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
the playing mantis wrote:think mustafi will be ok, but not sure hes top draw by any means

very dissapointing if gnabry is sold, when he came in to the side he looked very good beating playings scaring them by running at them and being direct. i think could be a big mistake letting him go.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

WHAT!!!???

Wenger make a mistake how dare you burn the traitor burn him I say!!!! :lol: :wink:

What is irksome and worrying is that there are still posters on here than Cannot See that regardless of who we sign - It is Wenger That IS The Problem. He is Passed It as a manager/coach - He is No Longer able to meet the demands of the Managerial Role at Arsenal (or any other club for that matter). He shies away from change and tactics - even though it is blatantly obvious to one and all that it is the ability to change and adopt new methods and approaches - regardless of the sphere one finds oneself - that makes it possible to succeed and achieve success at the highest levels.

Besides all these 'things' He has no regard or respect for the fans, he is a manipulator of the facts and truth, he is a despotic figure who wields his authority and power with utter disdain for anyone who dares speak out against him, he is a coward hiding behind the position he has created and manipulated for himself. It is we who pay the price....besides which he's a cun.t.
I was just thinking most of this myself,he could sign Messi,Ronaldo,Higuain,Iniesta,Klose,Neuer and Ramos and Wenger would still fuck it up,and STILL have the audacity to blame ANY other outside influence than his OWN deficiencies,the man is a c*nt

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
MrT wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Could be, should be, would be, yadda yadda. What difference does that make to the basic point - that point being we needed a proven 20+ league goals a season type striker to replace Giroud and Wenger went and bought an (as yet) unproven striker. I'm all for building a squad, and Perez may be a good addition to a squad, but you also have to address the urgent needs of the first team as well. Our most urgent need is that top striker we lack.

I'd also question your assertion that it was his "first season as the main striker". What position was he playing in during 17 league games in 2013 and 32 league games in 2014 and 21 league games in 2015?
Probably all irrelevant as he'll be playing left midfield in the games he starts,why would Wenger buy a centre forward and actually play him there? Wenger has a long history of playing players way out of position and ultimately ruining their confidence,

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

robbo10 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
MrT wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Probably all irrelevant as he'll be playing left midfield in the games he starts,why would Wenger buy a centre forward and actually play him there? Wenger has a long history of playing players way out of position and ultimately ruining their confidence,
Preaching to the converted here, mate. I can see him ending up out wide right with Giroud still in the centre.... :roll:

MrT

Post by MrT »

DB10GOONER wrote:
MrT wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Because you're shitting on the fella for something out of his control. You were bringing up his poor stats and I told you why the ''striker'' doesn't have a more impressive goal tally. Why are you crying over the fact we didn't sign someone like Griezmann? It was never going to happen, Perez is the typical Wenger signing, the type of budget player he loves. People wind themselves up on here at the fact we didn't sign a world class striker, you only have yourselves to blame when you know damn well what Wenger does.

He was playing on the wing mostly. This is not my opinion, numerous articles and journalists have said the same thing.