Ten Years At The Emirates

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: Ten Years At The Emirates

Post by Clash »

I think the few memories I have have already been covered. Pires' return was probably my no.1 as he was my favourite player. e Henry's goal against Leeds in the FA Cup on his loan spell back was a good moment (although the loan idea itself was an embarrassment IMO). I also loved Lehman mocking the Wigan keepers timewasting antics are we turned the game round late on.

But for 10 years the good memories are shockingly sparse and some are scraping the barrel. Compare those to the amount of memories of the 10 years before the move ... and the 10 years prior to that ... and it just seems such a sterile period since 2006.

In all honesty the move has been tragic. It leaves a bitter taste because it was done for the wrong reasons and for the benefit of the wrong people.

I have now done what I thought was unthinkable. I stopped going to Arsenal games in 2014 after constant attendance since 1982 (my first game was in 1978).

The game and the club have changed for the worse but I am convinced that if all those same changes had occurred except for the stadium move .... then I would never have stopped going.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Hardly any decent memories and mostly shit ones but funnily enough one that stands out is Bendtner scoring a later winner against Bolton on one of the fucking coldest days ever. Everyone stood
for the whole game because it was fucking freezing.
Other than that, a couple of decent wins but in a decade, there hasn't been one decent meaningful moment.

Clash

Post by Clash »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Red Snapper wrote:Nobody else for the Arsharvin goal in the 2-1 win over Barca?

Just me then??
Oh yeah, that was a pretty good one.

As for Highbury, I never felt it needed to be 'rocking' tbh. Even at near silence it still had a special atmosphere IMO.
I agree, Highbury was unique. A big ground that at the same time had a feeling of intimacy.

It also irritates me when people say ''it wasnt called The Library for nothing''.

It was called the library because it rhymed with Highbury. Thats why the label stuck. Yeah it was quiet at times but no more than other grounds.

M3Gooner

Post by M3Gooner »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:Hardly any decent memories and mostly shit ones but funnily enough one that stands out is Bendtner scoring a later winner against Bolton on one of the fucking coldest days ever. Everyone stood
for the whole game because it was fucking freezing.
Other than that, a couple of decent wins but in a decade, there hasn't been one decent meaningful moment.
Speaking of Billy - his header to beat scum 2-1 was a good moment.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Here are some alternatives to good memories i.e the bad ones :

Cold concrete concourses, a broken clock stuck on the outside, the eerie last 10 mins thanks to thousands of early leavers, Theo Walcott, Elvis' The Wonder of You, The empty corporate middle tier after half time, Adebayor getting caught offside, 70th minute subs, Gallas as Arsenal captain, the 125th anniversary jumbo hotdog at just £7.25, the introduction of those clapper things, the cringe-worthy fanfare when the clock was finally brought back into the ground (cringe-worthy because it was only 4 years too late), a shirtless gladiatorial Eboue lapping up the adulation after the final whistle, the booing of ex-players when the man responsible for them leaving got nothing, REDaction, Denilson's 1 yard passes to the full backs, the singing section, the standing ovations for a player being subbed no matter how shite he'd played, the women's teams exploits being forced on us, that prick Nigel and his banal half time interviews, 5 years of Manuel fucking Almunia, the militant stewards, seeing Fabregas wearing a Chelsea shirt, the cult of Wenger ....

Part I of XIV

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Clash wrote:I think the few memories I have have already been covered. Pires' return was probably my no.1 as he was my favourite player. e Henry's goal against Leeds in the FA Cup on his loan spell back was a good moment (although the loan idea itself was an embarrassment IMO). I also loved Lehman mocking the Wigan keepers timewasting antics are we turned the game round late on.

But for 10 years the good memories are shockingly sparse and some are scraping the barrel. Compare those to the amount of memories of the 10 years before the move ... and the 10 years prior to that ... and it just seems such a sterile period since 2006.

In all honesty the move has been tragic. It leaves a bitter taste because it was done for the wrong reasons and for the benefit of the wrong people.

I have now done what I thought was unthinkable. I stopped going to Arsenal games in 2014 after constant attendance since 1982 (my first game was in 1978).

The game and the club have changed for the worse but I am convinced that if all those same changes had occurred except for the stadium move .... then I would never have stopped going.
The Pires return in 2009 was also one of my personal highlights. I didn't mention it in my original post as thought it may have been a tad obscure and/or something only I was bothered about, so good to hear several people mention it on this thread.

He was treated so badly during his departure (the one year contract offer, being hauled off in the CL Final, no announcement ahead of his final game) that I was really pleased he finally got a fitting send-off. Even at that point, three years after moving stadium, I remember some tosser shouting at me in the tube (noticing that I was wearing an old Arsenal shirt with Pires on the back): "Pires fucking left you know". And it dawned on me that we had suddenly had a very different fanbase.

Worse still, at a Pires autograph signing at the club shop in 2012 (whatever the fuck it's called), when queueing up, I heard staff saying to each other, "Do you know who he is? I've never heard of him". And the people replying were in agreement that they didn't know who he was. WTF? Remember when people working in the club shop were Arsenal fans?

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Clash wrote:I think the few memories I have have already been covered. Pires' return was probably my no.1 as he was my favourite player. e Henry's goal against Leeds in the FA Cup on his loan spell back was a good moment (although the loan idea itself was an embarrassment IMO). I also loved Lehman mocking the Wigan keepers timewasting antics are we turned the game round late on.

The Pires return in 2009 was also one of my personal highlights. I didn't mention it in my original post as thought it may have been a tad obscure and/or something only I was bothered about, so good to hear several people mention it on this thread.

He was treated so badly during his departure (the one year contract offer, being hauled off in the CL Final, no announcement ahead of his final game) that I was really pleased he finally got a fitting send-off. Even at that point, three years after moving stadium, I remember some tosser shouting at me in the tube (noticing that I was wearing an old Arsenal shirt with Pires on the back): "Pires fucking left you know". And it dawned on me that we had suddenly had a very different fanbase.

Worse still, at a Pires autograph signing at the club shop in 2012 (whatever the fuck it's called), when queueing up, I heard staff saying to each other, "Do you know who he is? I've never heard of him". And the people replying were in agreement that they didn't know who he was. WTF? Remember when people working in the club shop were Arsenal fans?
I was at that autograph signing, and I pathetically said to him "you're a legend", and he said back, thank you. What a great player, and glad to see he is still involved with the club.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

I feel the same. Some things you can't buy or sell because their value is intangible. I had a high watermark and I consider myself very lucky to have gone through what I have. Maybe it's better to have done it, if only once, than to never have done it at all

8)

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

arseofacrow wrote:

I feel the same. Some things you can't buy or sell because their value is intangible. I had a high watermark and I consider myself very lucky to have gone through what I have. Maybe it's better to have done it, if only once, than to never have done it at all

8)
Arseofacrow - I think you meant to post that in the Gus' agony aunt thread ?
Your sex life has no place on here

The return to action of Eduardo and stunning goal,also his consolation goal against us which drew a round of applause which wouldn't have happened with any other fans.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

VoiceOfReason wrote:

I always remember one of the first times I went into the world of sport at Finsbury Park tube stop (early 90'S??) and being duly impressed that the guy that served me had heaps of Arsenal tats up and down his arms. 8)

RE Pires - I agree 100% with everything you've written there, mate. Pires is a legend. Fantastic player and comes across as a reasonably humble and sound guy anytime I've seen him interviewed. Wenger's treatment of him was disgraceful. The one year contract for over-30s shit ultimately led to Pires's departure and then lo and behold Mr 30 Years went and gave a mid-op transsexual Manure reject a 2 year contract even though the useless washed up bastard was over 30. Fucking stinking hypocrisy. :x :censored: Taking Pires off in the CL final and leaving the circle dribbler Hleb on was one of the worst footballing decisions I've ever seen ever anywhere ever. :roll:

enjibenji

Post by enjibenji »

Regardless of what ever happens at the emirates ill always have one special memory. My grandad was a regular at highbury with the supporters club here in Ireland and was always reluctant about going to the emirates as highbury as he called it was "home". We managed to book a stadium tour but had unfortunately missed out on charlie George taking us because we had book an early flight from stanstead. My grandad was gutted not to see one of his heroes at the club but the lady who was leading the tour with us got word of it and managed to get charlie in for a photograph with my grandad. Seeing my hero talk to his was just a fantastic moment and its something ill never forgot as long as i live :barscarf: :barscarf:

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Jacked my ST in at the end of 2008/09 :barscarf: Only been once on a freemans since, won't be paying the club any money until Wenger & Kroenke féck off! :barscarf: Just an odd away & Europe for me nowadays, still drink up the pubs near the spacebowl & meet old school mates & watch games / abuse Wenger.

Fed up with the middle class new breed of "fans" looking around in horror at anyone who vocally supports the team, gives the opposition team a bit of verbal, use an odd swear word, or even have the affront to stand up during passages of play! :censored: At least at Highbury you could go in the Clock End or East Stand & be with passionate Gooners, In the new ground the moonies & moo moos have infiltrated the whole stadium. :twisted:

I remember a friend of mine who refused to renew his Highbury season ticket for the spacebowl & hasn't been to a home game since, most of us thought he was being a bit dramatic but he was totally right in hindsight! :mrgreen:

I really don't know why our old school support haven't started seriously considering an AFC Arsenal 1886 breakaway club :barscarf:

They don't want our kind working class Gooners, just tourists & JCL's / AKB monnie cultists! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Almunia is a clown wrote:Jacked my ST in at the end of 2008/09 :barscarf: Only been once on a freemans since, won't be paying the club any money until Wenger & Kroenke féck off! :barscarf: Just an odd away & Europe for me nowadays, still drink up the pubs near the spacebowl & meet old school mates & watch games / abuse Wenger.

Fed up with the middle class new breed of "fans" looking around in horror at anyone who vocally supports the team, gives the opposition team a bit of verbal, use an odd swear word, or even have the affront to stand up during passages of play! :censored: At least at Highbury you could go in the Clock End or East Stand & be with passionate Gooners, In the new ground the moonies & moo moos have infiltrated the whole stadium. :twisted:

I remember a friend of mine who refused to renew his Highbury season ticket for the spacebowl & hasn't been to a home game since, most of us thought he was being a bit dramatic but he was totally right in hindsight! :mrgreen:

I really don't know why our old school support haven't started seriously considering an AFC Arsenal 1886 breakaway club :barscarf:

They don't want our kind working class Gooners, just tourists & JCL's / AKB monnie cultists! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I don't think it's necessarily a class thing though, is it? I've met many many die hard Gooners on trips to Highbury in particular and they seemed to be from across the full spectrum of social strata. Surely, in this day and age the lines between the so-called classes have been pretty muddied with the influx of social media and Americanisms/global speak? I could be wrong on that, but I've noticed in Dublin in particular there is whole muddled up group of people from all areas that now speak what linguists call Modern Dublin English - a mix of the old working class Dublin accent, the middle class southside accent, and Australian and American terminology. I'm thinking London is going the same way to some extent...?

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Almunia is a clown wrote:Jacked my ST in at the end of 2008/09 :barscarf: Only been once on a freemans since, won't be paying the club any money until Wenger & Kroenke féck off! :barscarf: Just an odd away & Europe for me nowadays, still drink up the pubs near the spacebowl & meet old school mates & watch games / abuse Wenger.

I don't think it's necessarily a class thing though, is it? I've met many many die hard Gooners on trips to Highbury in particular and they seemed to be from across the full spectrum of social strata. Surely, in this day and age the lines between the so-called classes have been pretty muddied with the influx of social media and Americanisms/global speak? I could be wrong on that, but I've noticed in Dublin in particular there is whole muddled up group of people from all areas that now speak what linguists call Modern Dublin English - a mix of the old working class Dublin accent, the middle class southside accent, and Australian and American terminology. I'm thinking London is going the same way to some extent...?

yes think the whole area around the ground has changed tbf....it has become gentrified with house prices to match....back in the 1970s was still a working class area with a lot of Irish families...John Lydon being one of them....but seems a trendy media luvy area now

think Charlie George's another local lad....

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

My favourite memory is me and tarquin grassing someone up for swearing. Got him thrown out of the ground too :barscarf: 8)