THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by DB10GOONER »

Babu wrote:
Mr. Wenger wrote: It is always difficult to isolate one factor. I felt that defensively, away from home, we conceded too many goals!
No shit Sherlock!

All is forgiven.

One Arsene Wenger... :barscarf:
I take it back. Maybe he is a football genius! :shock:

:suicide:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Babu wrote:
begeegs wrote: There are probably more things which I have overlooked, but the things above will hurt the bottom line not to mention the loss of prestige to the brand. Could the share prices go down because of those factors? It is difficult to say. If that happens or there is a hint of that, Wenger will be gone.
Last 5 years Arsenal Holdings, with the share price highlighted when he signed his last contract.

There was a bit of a drop in the share price in August 2014, but at that time we won the Community Shield and then qualified for the Champions League by getting past Besiktas, and then it kept rising, even though we got knocked out of the Champions League by Monaco, but the FA Cup win consolidated at 1,600 per share. Start of season 2015/16 sees a bit of a slip, but then the TV money was announced, and of course the share price will remain high now, unless we really implode.

We are guaranteed a small fortune every season now just for being Arsenal London in the Premier League.

I think Kroenke is more than happy with that.
Have to agree. It would take a financial implosion of Biblical proportions for us to lose enough money to see Kroenke sack Wenger - and the way the PL and SlySports deals are structured that is highly unlikely to happen. :|

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Babu wrote:
begeegs wrote: There are probably more things which I have overlooked, but the things above will hurt the bottom line not to mention the loss of prestige to the brand. Could the share prices go down because of those factors? It is difficult to say. If that happens or there is a hint of that, Wenger will be gone.
Last 5 years Arsenal Holdings, with the share price highlighted when he signed his last contract.

There was a bit of a drop in the share price in August 2014, but at that time we won the Community Shield and then qualified for the Champions League by getting past Besiktas, and then it kept rising, even though we got knocked out of the Champions League by Monaco, but the FA Cup win consolidated at 1,600 per share. Start of season 2015/16 sees a bit of a slip, but then the TV money was announced, and of course the share price will remain high now, unless we really implode.

We are guaranteed a small fortune every season now just for being Arsenal London in the Premier League.

I think Kroenke is more than happy with that.
Have to agree. It would take a financial implosion of Biblical proportions for us to lose enough money to see Kroenke sack Wenger - and the way the PL and SlySports deals are structured that is highly unlikely to happen. :|
This just highlights the split between the fans and the board, they will be happy that our share prices are still rising, largely due to TV money rather than anything we are doing on the field, but the fan base are getting more and more fed up with things, I don't think the rising share price is a good reason to keep Wenger either because it has virtually nothing to do with him, rather EPL football in general milking the money tree of overseas TV rights, they need to understand this otherwise they are going to find a half empty stadium regularly pretty soon, if they cannot get this they really are fools..

NickF

Post by NickF »

As our shares aren't generally available, isn't the price only ever going to be based on what Usmanov or Kroenke are willing to pay for them?

Babu

Post by Babu »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Babu wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote: Wenger was not a "football genius" by any means, but he was not just "lucky" either. :roll:
Oh yes he was...
8)
:horseshite:

Oh no he weren't!

:lol:
I think what we do agree on is that Souness is a massive *word censored*.

"lucky" is the word though, isn't it. I think he was lucky, and he didn't need any special skill to achieve what he did.
Any average football trainer could have done that with a bit of luck. Just look at George Graham!
:wink:

Wenger is average at best, and had one moment when everything fitted into place...and even in his luckiest season he fucked up against Chelsea in the CL and lost to ManU in the Cup...

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Babu wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Babu wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote: Wenger was not a "football genius" by any means, but he was not just "lucky" either. :roll:
Oh yes he was...
8)
:horseshite:

Oh no he weren't!

I think what we do agree on is that Souness is a massive *word censored*.

"lucky" is the word though, isn't it. I think he was lucky, and he didn't need any special skill to achieve what he did.
Any average football trainer could have done that with a bit of luck. Just look at George Graham!
:wink:

Wenger is average at best, and had one moment when everything fitted into place...and even in his luckiest season he fucked up against Chelsea in the CL and lost to ManU in the Cup...

"One moment when everything fitted into place"? And that moment lasted about 7 or 8 years...? And included replacing the entire back 5 that he inherited and then somehow going on to win the PL unbeaten...? Seriously? All based on that one moment of luck? :lol:

Christ I'm defending the man that has murdered my club over the last 10 years... but I just hate revisionist history... :|

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

And we certainly do agree that Souness is a massive cúnt. Like most ex-Mouser players. 8)

General

Post by General »

We've seen significant investment in the squad since 2014 and added to the new TV money, the share price has steadily shot up but profitability will likely take a hit with no CL football. Several commercial agreements will be affected and the share price will start coming down. We are going to take a significant hit and whether this is enough to get rid of Wenger is anyone’s guess. United were in the same boat and couldn’t risk another season without CL football so they got rid of Van Gaal.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Babu wrote:
Ed Hunter The Gooner wrote:Souness' pretty clear here on what he thinks about wenker... He's a prick but got it spot on here.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/04/graeme-so ... l-6614845/
This was always my point.

Best Back 5, france's golden generation AND what Souness forgot, a certain Mr. DB10

Even "wenger's" diet and fitness regime wasn't really ground-breaking...stop drinking so much and eating chocolates, and eat vegetables. Hardly revolutionary, except maybe to the english football establishment at that time.

Wenger, an absolute fraud.
Sorry, I want Wenger gone as much as the next man, but that Souness article is revisionist horseshit from a typical bitter ex-Scouse player. He fucking HATES the fact it was Arsenal that initially broke their dominance of the English game in 89. Shame really, because on a lot of issues Souness talks sense. :roll:

Yes Wenger had some luck, and every other manager that has ever won a major trophy has had some luck too. To say it was all luck is bullshit though. I've long said Wenger's greatest ability in his first few years with us was to be pragmatic and recognise what he had - and that is a talent in its own right. He kept the back 5 together and built on it - now days he'd probably break it up and replace it with his own "diamonds in the rough" because his ego has killed his pragmatism dead. He also recognised that the likes of DB10, TH14, Overmars, Petit, PV4 etc etc didn't need to be over-coached and that he could give them freedom to express themselves. Nowadays he'd coach them into tippy tappy shite to the point where they'd be as ineffective as the current shower of shit that disgraces our jersey.

The dietary changes in themselves were not the real accomplishment, but rather successfully enforcing them was. After all TA6 went on record to say that O'Leary had been doing much of the proper eating / stretching / massage thing for years before Wenger arrived, but most of the other players laughed at O'Leary. But Wenger made every player look after their body and they all say his drilling that into them extended all of their careers.

Wenger also intrinsically changed the way PL football was played by introducing the idea of two interchangeable, powerful, physically-strong and technically-skilled DM's that could also attack with devastating effect as well as protect an aging back 4. Most PL clubs followed suit to some degree. When Wenger's fucked up ego then dictated that he should change to the Whore's model of tippy tappy, technically skilled and mobile (but slightly-built) midfielders in the late 2000s the other PL clubs did not follow suit and how many times did we see our players bounced off the ball?

It's a cheap shot by a bitter ex-Scouse twat to put Wenger's early success only at the door of "luck". It is far more complex than that, even though luck played some part as it does for every successful manager. Wenger was not a "football genius" by any means, but he was not just "lucky" either. :roll:
I think it important to emphasize that prior to Wenkers arrival we had signed Bergkamp and David Platt, who had both been very professional throughout their careers and rolled their eyes at the Tuesday club drinking culture that was here.
I'm sure Bergkamps dedication to the game, his body etc was already enlightening certain players who liked to indulge.
Wenkers introduction of fruit and room temperature water enhanced the process that was already set in motion but he got the credit.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Boring boring Arsenal they used to say, well they should be saying it now, we are dull to watch and nothing changes, season after season, I still for the life of me can't understand why anyone would want to pay large amounts of money to watch this s**t unfold?.

Just as boring is talking about Arsenal, the discussion is just so repetitive because nothing changes, abject failure is repeated and yet we keep doing the same things over and over again, honestly this club is FUBAR until Wenger goes and may well be FUBAR afterwards as I don't expect this board to appoint the right man or sort out all the other issues that they've been neglecting for the last 5-10 years.

I know I am not alone in thinking this way and wont be the only one to 'give up' on football next season if we keep on doing the same s**t, I am just wondering how many people will follow, because really what is the appeal of watching Arsenal PLC?, I am finding it increasingly hard to love the 'club' as I don't know what is left of Arsenal FC.

Obviously it is somewhat skewed on here because this is not an AKB stronghold (thankfully), is there really enough brainwashed zombies out there to keep the Emirates reasonably full?, surely not..

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... er-arsenal - lol

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

F. F. SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE! :shock: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

What the fuckk is this? a Meeting of the US Martin Appreciation Society.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :box: :cussing:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

phpBB [video]

If you don't listen to any other part of this just listen from 6' 20" onwards.

Offside

Post by Offside »

What Souness is saying is very harsh and revisionist but there is a wider point about how his legacy has been tainted.

Do we talk about how great Wenger was for 9 years, or do we bring up the fact that his best teams never retained the title, were useless in Europe and that the Invincibles fell apart after losing one game?

Babu

Post by Babu »

DB10GOONER wrote: :lol:

"One moment when everything fitted into place"? And that moment lasted about 7 or 8 years...? And included replacing the entire back 5 that he inherited and then somehow going on to win the PL unbeaten...? Seriously? All based on that one moment of luck? :lol:

Christ I'm defending the man that has murdered my club over the last 10 years... but I just hate revisionist history... :|
I posted this mini-novel on here 6 years ago, and had been preaching for a few years before that on another forum, so not sure how revisionist it is/was, but fair enough, you said the same at the time...

I also said at the time that there were a couple of bits of luck involved.

The other bit of luck was Sol coming to us, which helped slightly with rebuilding the defence, and serious amounts of money were spent on assembling that Invincibles side, which fell apart after ONE defeat!

He was average, with a fair dose of luck. Now he is below average, but still seems to have luck to stay in the job.
How else can you explain why he's still here? It's certainly not his success or his charm or charisma, is it?

But it's good to hear people fighting his corner still! :wink: :barscarf: TO1AW :barscarf:

armchair

Post by armchair »

Souness is spot on
Wenger didn't "revolutionise English football"
Nor did he "build the club"

Though he loves to be lauded and given the credit for it. Infuriates me when these lazy journo and pundits and AKBs trot out this type of mythical tripe.

He was lucky to find himself at the biggest club in the capital city with a history and tradition unequalled. He has since systematically and deliberately gone about trying to erase it all.

Man is a snide, contriving, lying,greedy fraud.
Did I miss anything out? :lol: