THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by DB10GOONER »

Babu wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote: :lol:

"One moment when everything fitted into place"? And that moment lasted about 7 or 8 years...? And included replacing the entire back 5 that he inherited and then somehow going on to win the PL unbeaten...? Seriously? All based on that one moment of luck? :lol:

Christ I'm defending the man that has murdered my club over the last 10 years... but I just hate revisionist history... :|
I posted this mini-novel on here 6 years ago, and had been preaching for a few years before that on another forum, so not sure how revisionist it is/was, but fair enough, you said the same at the time...

I also said at the time that there were a couple of bits of luck involved.

The other bit of luck was Sol coming to us, which helped slightly with rebuilding the defence, and serious amounts of money were spent on assembling that Invincibles side, which fell apart after ONE defeat!

He was average, with a fair dose of luck. Now he is below average, but still seems to have luck to stay in the job.
How else can you explain why he's still here? It's certainly not his success or his charm or charisma, is it?

But it's good to hear people fighting his corner still! :wink: :barscarf: TO1AW :barscarf:
Firstly mate, don't go down the well trodden path of implying people are AKB's (in all but word) because they don't post "Wenger is a useless cúnt and always has been" repeatedly ok? It diminishes your argument.

Secondly you are contradicting yourself throughout your mini novel and your current posts. One minute he's total shit but lucky and nothing else, the next he's an average manager with some luck. Which is it? For me it's somewhere inbetween. He had good seasons and he did good things in the early days. And yes he had some luck even then - as I say all successful managers rely on some luck at some point. For me his early days were a mix of being a good manager bordering on great at times and a healthy dose of luck too, no denying it. Since his insane ego took over in 2007/2008 he has had ONLY luck (and weak club ownership) to keep him in the job and coincidentally no major trophies bar the 2 FA Cups.

This is a general comment not aimed at you but all Gooners in general. All this revisionist crap that people are posting denying Wenger any credit at all for his early success is motivated by the bitter hatred many of us have for him now and is just not based in reality. If Wenger had walked away from Arsenal the day after the CL final in 06 saying "I did all I could do, it's someone else's turn now" then;

A). There would have been an uproar from every single Gooner on planet Earth begging him to stay. It might taste bad to admit that now but it is true. Look back at the posts on this forum from some of the loudest Wenger-haters here. They are posting VERY different stuff back in 06,07 and 08.

and...

B). He would be remembered as a legend. Again don't taste great because of the last 10 years of rank ego-driven incompetence he has shown, but still true nonetheless.

So please can we keep the ant-Wenger criticism based in fact rather than just childish bile? Because tbh, to pundits, the media and fans of other clubs some of the nonsense we are posting on social media and on here is making all Arsenal fans look like a rabble of whining fucktards that know nothing about football and that is fucking embarrassing... The reason the current protests so well planned and led led by a few off here have had more success and garnered more publicity and coverage is because they are addressing his current and recent failures over the last decade and not trying to deny or denigrate the success he had in his early years with us.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

NickF wrote: Thing is, even if you gave Wenger a blank chequebook he still wouldn't win the title.
You're probably right but the point is he would be under pressure to win things which clearly hasn't been the case for over a decade now, people keep nit picking saying Usmanov is pro-Wenger etc. well I'd rather take the chance as I'm fairly sure he'd have got fed up with Wenger many years ago unlike Silent Stan who doesn't give a f**k, if the guy at the very top doesn't care about trying to win then it filters all the way down and we see the result of that in what we produce at the moment.

I don't buy all this best to leave it to the football men thing anyway, that might work if we had one of them, even Wenger is debatable, he's more a glorified accountant than anything else!, we might as well be a supermarket than a football club the way we are run.

Zzzzzz..

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

For me the worst thing is how successful Chelsea have been under Abramovich. They have left us in their shadow and all talk of him getting bored and leaving was bullocks. Nobody will remember the financial side only the trophies they won and we didn't.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

supergeorgegraham wrote:For me the worst thing is how successful Chelsea have been under Abramovich. They have left us in their shadow and all talk of him getting bored and leaving was bullocks. Nobody will remember the financial side only the trophies they won and we didn't.
Yeah 5 titles since we last won it, all this talk of us doing things 'The Arsenal way' and not having a sugar daddy has worn very very thin now, I mean what is so great about having to fork out some of the highest prices in any sport to watch dull, insipid, sideways football while trying to deperately finish 4th because we get more money that way?.

Things will only get worse with Spurs moving forward and building a new stadium, Chelsea as well and their fans wont have to bankroll it like ours did through 10+ years of s**t, then in Europe we have former powerhouses Inter and AC Milan now with mega money, we are as good as dead under Kroenke, I know it's not what people want to hear, sadly though it is the truth.

Wenger out is just the beginning of cleansing this diseased club.

Babu

Post by Babu »

DB10GOONER wrote: If Wenger had walked away from Arsenal the day after the CL final in 06 saying "I did all I could do, it's someone else's turn now"
Yes, very good post.
Agree with almost all of it, and it's nice to be given a bit of a reality check every now and then.

Babu

Post by Babu »

Babu wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote: If Wenger had walked away from Arsenal the day after the CL final in 06 saying "I did all I could do, it's someone else's turn now"
Yes, very good post.
Agree with almost all of it, and it's nice to be given a bit of a reality check every now and then.
I took MDMA today.
It was v. good indeed.
R.I.P. Babu

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Babu wrote:
Babu wrote:
Yes, very good post.
I took MDMA today.
It was v. good indeed.
R.I.P. Babu
:lol:

Drugs are bad m'kay... :wink:

Clash

Post by Clash »

supergeorgegraham wrote:For me the worst thing is how successful Chelsea have been under Abramovich. They have left us in their shadow and all talk of him getting bored and leaving was bullocks. Nobody will remember the financial side only the trophies they won and we didn't.
I agree, the whole ''when the FFP rules will kick'' in and ''Roman will get bored'' thing was delusional.

We can say Chelsea's success is tainted (and when Chelsea won the CL in 2012 a big chunk of footballs soul was destroyed) but all top football clubs are tainted and morally corrupt now as far as I can see.

Arsenal being self-sustainable by ripping off their own fans is not more admirable than what Chelsea do. At least Chelsea give their fans something to get passionate about.

To be honest, we cant really talk about them having no history anymore either. They have had 20 years of consistently winning trophies since Gullit won the FA Cup with them in 1997.

The sickening reality is that Chelsea have instilled the kind of winning mentality at their club that should be at our club. Wealth doesn't guarantee instilling that (look at Man city) and a lack of wealth doesn't prevent it either (look at Atletico Madrid). Wenger's weak and defeatist 'top 4 is a trophy' mentality has held us back at the very time we needed to be tougher.

If we are not careful, the next 20 years will see Chelsea overtake us as the London club with the most league titles. :censored:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Just back from Holiday, had no updates as of results and not bothered TBH, lost at scum which was expected, still nothing done about there fans on that corner...thanks old bill

anyway after over 40 years of Arsenal dominating my moods feel finally released from this burden, good luck to all you guys...i am out of it :D

General

Post by General »

Had Wenger not been given carte Blanche to pursue his reckless youth project we would be in a better position by now with our emerging financial muscle. We probably would've had 2PL titles and a couple of non-top 4 finishes. Instead we chose the cowardly conservative approach and the culture of 'just doing enough' is going to take several years to eradicate. Chelsea are still reaping the benefits of years of heavy investment whiles we are still trying to remediate years of irrational underinvestment. Their current investment levels are similar to ours as is their wage bill.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Babu wrote:
Babu wrote:
Yes, very good post.
I took MDMA today.
It was v. good indeed.
R.I.P. Babu
:lol:

Drugs are bad m'kay... :wink:
I know look what happened to Hlebby. :?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Redarmy wrote:Just back from Holiday, had no updates as of results and not bothered TBH, lost at scum which was expected, still nothing done about there fans on that corner...thanks old bill

anyway after over 40 years of Arsenal dominating my moods feel finally released from this burden, good luck to all you guys...i am out of it :D
Take Care Mate - See you on the far side of Wenger Out!. :barscarf:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Redarmy wrote:Just back from Holiday, had no updates as of results and not bothered TBH, lost at scum which was expected, still nothing done about there fans on that corner...thanks old bill

Take Care Mate - See you on the far side of Wenger Out!. :barscarf:

Cheers good luck all ......

Ziegler1988

Post by Ziegler1988 »

http://m.goal.com/s/en/news/8/main/2017 ... yXOIopjnnU

So we have a Hong Kong group that hired a plane and now Arsenal Tokyo making "In Arsene We Trust" postcards. What would we do without our friends in the far East :roll:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

He's signed the thing already anyway and we all know that.

It a horrible feeling to want this to happen to Arsenal but I'm going to enjoy the c**t being made a fool of next year.