Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Re: Unai Emery

Post by 1989 »

Like Gary Neville suggested, he's giving enough rope for people like Cech, Xhaka, Bellerin and Mustafi to see what they do with it. They're not his players and he's got no loyalty towards them, thus if they fail to perform for him they'll be shipped out sooner rather than later and be replaced by new signings of his choice whom are able to fit the system he wants to play.

He's new to the club and to the league, he can't just wield the axe as much as we all would like him to. Some of these players, shite as they are, have been starters here and been at the club longer than he is, so he's got to give them a chance to prove themselves to him first. One thing I can guarantee is that unlike TOF, he's not going to persist with shite performers for the entirety of a season.
Last edited by 1989 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1989 »

double post

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

There was never going to be some sort of magic wand to turn a team that hasn't been drilled let alone coached into a cohesive unit overnight.

Yesterday was a reality check and we were fortunate to come away with the win,Emery I won't judge him until he has had time to work with the squad and start to put his marker on it....be it moving players on or getting players in,tactically it again takes time,we have some glaringly average players.

What I like about him is proactive substitutions,he is working on combinations and will give players the chance to do their talking on the pitch,the squad he needs time to work with,which he will get but I hugely doubt he will be given the other thing he will need,significant transfer funds.

So far it has been all about working with what he has and he has inherited some bang average players in that squad and it doesn't matter who the manager is you can only work with what you have.

There will be no quick fix.I am looking forward to see how we perform on the road this season,last season especially we had no fight the minute things went against us.

The manager owes this group of players nothing.

augie

Post by augie »

1989 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:29 am
Like Gary Neville suggested, he's giving enough rope for people like Cech, Xhaka, Bellerin and Mustafi to see what they do with it. They're not his players and he's got no loyalty towards them, thus if they fail to perform for him they'll be shipped out sooner rather than later and be replaced by new signings of his choice whom are able to fit the system he wants to play.

He's new to the club and to the league, he can't just wield the axe as much as we all would like him to. Some of these players, shite as they are, have been starters here and been at the club longer than he is, so he's got to give them a chance to prove themselves to him first. One thing I can guarantee is that unlike TOF, he's not going to persist with shite performers for the entirety of a season.

I can understand that when discussing the likes of bellend, xhaka etc, but there is absolutely no excuse for giving cech the starting keepers position - he is 36 years old, coming off the back of a few poor seasons, and is totally unable to play emery's way (ie play from the back). In a new regime you dont stick with a player that MIGHT have one more season in him unless there is an expectancy of immediate success, and that clearly isnt the case with us. I really, really, really hope that this helmet head c.unt gets dropped or injured very soon so that we can take another step towards a different future

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

[/quote]

I can understand that when discussing the likes of bellend, xhaka etc, but there is absolutely no excuse for giving cech the starting keepers position - he is 36 years old, coming off the back of a few poor seasons, and is totally unable to play emery's way (ie play from the back). In a new regime you dont stick with a player that MIGHT have one more season in him unless there is an expectancy of immediate success, and that clearly isnt the case with us. I really, really, really hope that this helmet head c.unt gets dropped or injured very soon so that we can take another step towards a different future
[/quote]

Cech not only his playing out from the back his agility has totally gone,anything low he is far too slow moving his feet let alone getting down to shots,time and again he has been beaten by low shots he should of got to IIRC the first time noticeable was West Ham on his Arsenal debut :roll: .
But hands up I know very little about Leno :oops: ,no doubt better with his feet but Christy Brown no doubt has a better control of his left foot than Cech has.

Post by 1989 »

augie wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:40 am
1989 wrote:

What if Leno just ain't doing it in training? It's a very real (and worrying) possibility.

Also, poor form wishing a player gets injured mate. We can all agree that he's not good enough but that's going too far. Not his fault that he's being allowed to start for us.

augie

Post by augie »

1989 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:15 pm
augie wrote:
1989 wrote:

What if Leno just ain't doing it in training? It's a very real (and worrying) possibility.

Also, poor form wishing a player gets injured mate. We can all agree that he's not good enough but that's going too far. Not his fault that he's being allowed to start for us.

Never wished the guy a serious injury, I just said an injury - a sprained wrist or twisted ankle or something like that will do as long as it keeps him out for a few weeks to let leno into the team 8) Btw, for a keeper there is a world of difference between training and playing - cech might look the mutts nuts when he is playing in a non-competitive enviroment, but I have seen enough of him for the last few years to recognise that he is nowhere near good enough to be number 1 in a club of our size. If dick puts leno in goals and he proves himself to be sub-standard too then we can and should bomb him out, but if a club with a limited transfer budget spends £20m+ on a keeper, then I sure as shit expect him to be playing ahead of a seriously past it guy :roll: It worries me that cech's reputation and standing within the squad, is the only reason why he got/is getting the nod ahead of leno

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

1989 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:15 pm
augie wrote:
1989 wrote:

Problem facing emery with Cech is that he was for a good few years one of the top 3 goalkeepers in the world and clearly a world class goalkeeper. He looks to have refreshed himself, got fitter and risen to the challenge of having a new manager. Leno has not reached the level of Cech and like all world class players they can always show flashes of the brilliance that got them to the highest level. Whilst Cech is not at the level he used to be I'd argue that like Jennings and Seaman he still operating at a level higher than Leno. In the past two season Cech has prevented us from some absolute hammerings and maybe some of the criticism is harsh. Unfortunately, Emery hasn't had a reason to drop Cech yet. The defence is his biggest problem, not the goalie.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Nos89 have you watched us at all over the last few years? Cech is fucking garbage.

I think he will bring Leno in before long. I can’t think that looking at this squad he has gone out and spent 25m of his budget on a keeper to sit on th bench. Perhaps particularly looking at our first two games he thought throwing Leno into that wouldn’t be the wisest move.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

After watching the first few games, there is a difference in the way that we play. There is more organisation. There is also pressure on the ball deep in the opponents half. It isn't Klopp or Pep's version, but it does exist. There are also multiple runners into the box to pull back to which someone can ping a ball to when we are attacking, so it is early, but such a refreshing change to Wengers boring sideways football and non-existent tactics.

In a negative sense, there still are more brain-dead moments when we are defending. Bellerin is getting beaten too easily, but his crossing is much improved. Mustafi is still thinking that he is a midfielder and goes walkies, but is a lot better than last year. When the wingbacks bomb forward, the midfielders should be there to cover. That isn't happening enough, but I think that it will with more time.

There are some personnel issues, but players are buying in to the system. Emery doesn't know his best eleven yet, or he is easing those players in, but I am encouraged. I think that Ramsey and Xhaka are playing because there aren't many better options yet. When a 19 year old novice is cracking into the starting eleven, it tells you all that you need to know regarding depth in the midfield position. I would start Torreira with Laca from now on. As far as Ozil goes, I am not sure who has been worse, Miki or Ozil, but they both have been poor. Iwobi has been trying, but the end product (and decision making) hasn't really been there. I would consider Nelson at this point.

Chelsea have a better team than us. Man City far better and West Ham are also better than last year under Moyes. I believe that we should be in the mix for the top 4 this year.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I think we can see how Emery wants the team to attack.

Play from the back, which creates space around the pitch. Get the ball forward before the oppposition is back in position (unlike the snail-like build-up under AW). Pass forward, not sideways. Get the ball wide, cross early and pull the crosses back for players running on to it.

Not ideal when we've not got any wingers, but generally I'm happy with his style. We should certainly give him time.

However, having watched the first three games, I've no idea how he wants us to defend. Pressing. Fine. But then what? Any hoof up the pitch seems to cause chaos in our defence. Is trotting back into position OK? Not even in Sunday League. What are the midfielders supposed to be doing?
This really worries me.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:33 pm
I think we can see how Emery wants the team to attack.

Play from the back, which creates space around the pitch. Get the ball forward before the oppposition is back in position (unlike the snail-like build-up under AW). Pass forward, not sideways. Get the ball wide, cross early and pull the crosses back for players running on to it.

Not ideal when we've not got any wingers, but generally I'm happy with his style. We should certainly give him time.

However, having watched the first three games, I've no idea how he wants us to defend. Pressing. Fine. But then what? Any hoof up the pitch seems to cause chaos in our defence. Is trotting back into position OK? Not even in Sunday League. What are the midfielders supposed to be doing?
This really worries me.
Spot on Joe, for years I’ve been moaning about us pussyfooting about with it, while the opposition all get time to get back into position.
Early crosses would have played to Giroud’s strengths but instead we played 50 passes in a build up.
The crosses are definitely being pulled back to penalty spot area.

As for the defending, not seen much if any improvement yet.

Midz

Post by Midz »

StuartL wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:47 pm

As for the defending, not seen much if any improvement yet.
Totally, it still looks woeful at the back. the players brought in aren't top quality so it doesn't surprise me but let's give Dick a chance to use what he has and see if he can make them defend better.

Post by 1989 »

The biggest positive for me so far and above all is that Emery has shown he's got the balls to drop the so called star players and won't take any bollocks from fancy dans like that Turkish/German bloke.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

all totally expected results so far so he can't really be judged so far.

big two (winnable) away games coming up that will require tactics.
Wenger would have hoped for the best - lets see what Emery has got...