Just go Arsene

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
12thGooner

Post by 12thGooner »

Well said Boomer. Still pity about the football eh?

Ted B

Post by Ted B »

aw wrote:How many times have we reached the semi finals of the CL?

We started the season badly. We had a crisis. We changed our captain. We had loads of injuries injuries. We stuggled on. We survived.

We still finished the season strongly, even though we lost 2 semi-finals.

Most of us were expecting 5th place.

I would say we have progressed.

I am seriously looking forward to next season.
top post. 8) :barscarf: but maybe 'progress' isn't the right word there. :?

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

12thGooner wrote:Well said Boomer. Still pity about the football eh?
Yeah it was shocking.
Though to be honest what did you/we expect with this team at the start of the season. Not much I'm guessing.
It's been the same as last year but in a different way. CL for League this time.

Interestly, and I forgot to put. Wenger's teams (As all are internationals) have never won anything on the back of a world cup/Euro Champs. Our Pre-season gets fucked. See Cesc.
Also explain why we where great last season. (despite expentations)

Irish Gooner

Post by Irish Gooner »

I don't know who this Swalegooner is, but looking at this thread his comments should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Gunnersaurus

Re: Just go Arsene

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Irish Gooner wrote:You had a good run. Its all over and take greedybayor with you.

Keep some dignity and resign after the match.
How is it Wenger's fault that UTD scored 2 goals in the space of 3 mins pretty much killing the game as a contest?

1 was from a unfortunate error and the 2nd came before anyone had a chance to blink.

Swale_Gooner1985

Post by Swale_Gooner1985 »

augie wrote:Swale, nobody has come on here advocating that all the players be sold and the manager sacked.........what many of us have said is that there are more than 1 or 2 players who simply are not good enough and probably never will be :( These players will continue to hinder the development of this team that you speak about until they are removed and replaced by better quality - it is as simple as that 8)

As regards wenger I will say to you that, like every single job in this world today, a managers job should be judged on his performances. Over the last 5 seasons he has performed badly in his decision making in the players that he has sold, the players he has bought and the sub standard players that he has shown way too much loyalty to. Add that to his continued embarrassment tactically at the hands of other managers then you should be able to see why his vision and the direction in which he is taking us should be called into question
you might want to have a look at the thread title

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

I see absolutely no mention of the financial constraints on Wenger in anyone's arguments here.

We can all point to the fact that Song isn't better than Vieira, yet let's completely ignore the acres of land we've bought up in Zone 2, as if it was peanuts and doesn't need to be paid off by the club.

Let's replace Wenger, probably the best and most experienced manager in the premiership for working with raw talent and let's bring in, well who?

Please do name names, I'm genuinely intrigued.

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Cus Geezer wrote:I see absolutely no mention of the financial constraints on Wenger in anyone's arguments here.

We can all point to the fact that Song isn't better than Vieira, yet let's completely ignore the acres of land we've bought up in Zone 2, as if it was peanuts and doesn't need to be paid off by the club.

Let's replace Wenger, probably the best and most experienced manager in the premiership for working with raw talent and let's bring in, well who?

Please do name names, I'm genuinely intrigued.
Errmm....Sorry but I did. it's the last post on the previous page.
And I agree with your point. :D

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

For those that want a change and for the conspircys theorys to start....
Van Basten's just quit Ajax.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 69,00.html

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

[quote="Boomer"]Okay my turn...... :D

Last night was shocking. Performance lacking, no heart and no commitment. To sum up an embarrassment!
Show we are currently failing behind the top four. so Wenger should go then. Err..Nope and here's why.

When he took over the club where were we going? UEFA cup spots and that was about it. He's changed the club and a lot in football as a whole training methods, sports science and scouting.
With that and subsequent honours it's put him up there equal to Herbet Champman.

Football is a fickle sport.
I bet there are fans that have moaned at Ade and criticised him for his antics last summer. Then the next minute will be singing his name! :roll:
I don't and before people harp on I know some of you don't either. 8)

To criticise the so called "Arabian Bowl" as the reason for our lack of desire is wrong. Should we have sat back and watch Man U in there 80,000 stadium whilst we struggle on in our meagre 38,000? No - we need to move and move fast. I wonder in years to come how poorly Spuds and L'Pool will do when/if they move.
However, this is where and how the team has been shaped from.

Ever since the ‘invincibles’ Wengers been trimming the wages and investing in youth. It makes sense when you have to pay for a multi million pound stadium and there's a fine line between under spending and 'doing a Leeds'.
Selling Viera in place of Cesc is an example and there's many more.

Wenger is no messiah and recent tactics and player choices (FA Semi) can prove that.
That said we do have a £15M+ a season loan to pay back to the bank for the stadium whilst the Glaziers and Romans are able to bank roll transfers whilst also putting there clubs into financial debt.

I always believed that Arsenal would have a few dire years and we may already be in the eye of the storm if not next year.
It will take us a while to come out of the storm and to come back. But when we do...Boy will it be in style.

The Nike contract is up soon (Next Summer??) which would give us some money. Few Seasons after that the Shirt sponsor is up also more spending power.
Both original deals the money given was low as it was needed and used up front to build the stadium.

Over the next year the £15M+ a season loan payment will reduce and also the 'back up' funds (ICE), which I believe Edelman mentioned in the “£70M war chestâ€

augie

Post by augie »

Swale I was actually referring to your remark about selling all the players :roll:

Irish Gooner

Post by Irish Gooner »

Gunnersaurus wrote:
Irish Gooner wrote:You had a good run. Its all over and take greedybayor with you.

How is it Wenger's fault that UTD scored 2 goals in the space of 3 mins pretty much killing the game as a contest?

1 was from a unfortunate error and the 2nd came before anyone had a chance to blink.
4 years of empty promises, tactial and transfer fuck ups are his fault.
He fucked up the team in the first leg and the semi final against Chelsea as well.

But I forgot we have a side with a very young average age... :roll:

wlchuccc

Post by wlchuccc »

Irish Gooner wrote:
Gunnersaurus wrote:

He fucked up the team in the first leg and the semi final against Chelsea as well.

Top post. It's whom's decision to play our games with kids? It's AW. He said "Judge me at the end of the season". Is our season over yet?!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

FFS, we could have won the FA cup at least this season. We all know that we are the underdogs against ManCunts. But when Walcott can't handle Erva last nite, why didn't AW ask Walcott to swap position with Nasri/RVP, whoever was the left winger last night :banghead:
Last edited by wlchuccc on Wed May 06, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

wlchuccc wrote:
Irish Gooner wrote:
Gunnersaurus wrote:

Top post. It's whom's decision to play our games with kids? It's AW. He said "Judge me at the end of the season". Is our season over yet?!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

FFS, we could have won the FA cup at least this season. We all know that we are the underdogs against ManCunts. But when Walcott can handle Erva last nite, why didn't AW ask Walcott to swap position with Nasri/RVP, whoever was the left winger last night :banghead:
I don't disagree with the rest of your post. But whoever would currently be in charge would have to opt for a prudent (or non exsistant) transfer policy regardless.

spoona

Post by spoona »

Wenger will never be sacked,he is saving the board millions on millions every season in not spending in the transfer market,as long as we continue to qualify for the champions league ie 4th place,i fear the board will view that as a job well done,hence Arsene will be under no pressure at all,i dont think the Hill-Woods really care either way if we actually win the league or not,despite a few close shaves in the last few seasons,we are generally considered top 4 material,so they still see the £££ rolling in and that is good enough as far as they are concerned.

I dont think the Wenger out brigade is as kneejerk as most people think,a lot of gooners have been considering the consequences for a while,there was life before Arsene and there will be life after,i'm grateful for what he has done for The Arsenal,but maybe it is time for him to move on,i fear we are stagnating a little.