WALCOTT - which position is best etc?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Theo Upfront

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunnersaurus wrote:All strikers miss chances though, I'm not sticking up for him but he always gets critised for missing chances, van Persie missed loads last year.

It really is hard to judge him until he's given a run there.
Oh absolutely agree all strikers miss chances. But from what I've seen of his movement off the ball (the best strikers have this in spades), his first touch and his ability to actually slot it... I just don't see it in him. Of course we will never know until he gets a run in there.

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

Bendtners Drinking Buddy wrote:Walcott can do none of these things.
I don't agree with your assessment on Giroud at all (surprise surprise!) but completely agree with you on Walcott.
There is this myth abound that he should be 'played down the middle'.
There are various problems with this

1. Wally cannot make a short pass to save his life.
2. If a defence retreats deep, Wally can't sprint beyond it, hence he is obsolete.
3. You need strength to shrug off defenders - Wally is about as strong as a featherlite durex condom. :roll:
4. Wally can't finish with regularity in one on one situations, when he has time to think about the outcome see, e.g. his appalling finishing at home to Wolves last season, at home to QPR too, and his final decision when given seconds inside the box.
5. Wally will never, ever attack a cross with his head. Totally pointless.
6. You need an excellent first touch to play as a successful lone striker (which is why I think Giroud is a flop). Wally has a shocking first touch, same reason Adebayor never became world-class good as he is, his touch is shite.
7. You need to make intelligent runs. Wally is brainless with runs and never ever bends them.
8. You need to be able to spot runners. Wally is incapable of this, we have the proof.

Conclusion: Walcott is a bit shite. Not a winger, but not a strier, but not a midfielder of any note: WHAT IS HE THEN?
:shock:

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

He is the future....

MyOldMan

Post by MyOldMan »

I would of liked not to have Theo at the club but Window is shut and this is all we have! so IF Giroud

Does a Cham ( I hope he doesn't) we are forced to try something else.

I like the Ox but him and Jack need to convert a few more to step up like Cesc this season.

Hopefully we can get 2 midfielders in double figures like Freddie, Pires days

Hope Giroud scores next game his off the ball movement for Santi's goal was good

Vinny1967

Post by Vinny1967 »

Would love to see Walcott given a chance up front.
I think when he is given time to think he panics a bit.
I see him as a type of reactionary player and would be more busy up front. If he was given the chance and bagged a couple it may do his confidence the world of good as well as I think he suffers from a lack of it.
Last edited by Vinny1967 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Agree with above post by Vinny.

Theo is worth a go up front to see how he does.

Him running on to Cazorla's and Podolski's passes could be interesting.

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

No, thank you, next question.

Few-if-any opposition teams are stupid enough to play a high-line when Theo is on the pitch, let alone if he was the most forward player.

On top of that, his finishing is inconsistent and he disappears in the box on set pieces.

Have never been convinced he's as good at CF as he says he would be.

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

Barriecuda wrote:No, thank you, next question.

Few-if-any opposition teams are stupid enough to play a high-line when Theo is on the pitch, let alone if he was the most forward player.

On top of that, his finishing is inconsistent and he disappears in the box on set pieces.

Have never been convinced he's as good at CF as he says he would be.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

flash gunner wrote:One thing Theo isnt is a winger. Id give him a chance up front (if Giroud is injured or example) on the understanding if he doesnt do the business he'd be kicked out. Id rather give Theo a chance than play the camel up there
agrred flash, trouble is I don't think Theo knows what it means to actually 'Head' a ball....But I think he would be far more effective going forward through the centre - defenders DO NOT like forwards running at them with pace - you can see the fear in their eyes...you know a bit like top londoner when it comes time for him to pay for a round of drinks! :D :wink:

QuartzGooner

Re: Walcott - contract talks/which position is best etc?

Post by QuartzGooner »

Merged the three Walcott threads because of similarity of postings.
Have a feeling the discussion will rumble on over the course of the season.

MyOldMan

Post by MyOldMan »

Funny people have stated Theo can't head the ball! Guess What? We can't cross the ball so
Its a good match!

We don't have anyone else unless we play 2 upfront. Pol/Giroud combo don't work

Maybe Santi behind Pol with Jack, Diaby, Arteta, Ox midfield?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

MyOldMan wrote:Funny people have stated Theo can't head the ball! Guess What? We can't cross the ball so
Its a good match!

We don't have anyone else unless we play 2 upfront. Pol/Giroud combo don't work

Maybe Santi behind Pol with Jack, Diaby, Arteta, Ox midfield?
Agreed we have no crossers. But how can you write off the Pod/Giroud combo after 3 games, mate? These things can take time. :?

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

The sooner this overrated wanker goes the better, we're slowly eradacating the squad of these types of players, players that are not just inconsistent, but inconsistent within an actual game, where a goal or a set up can over shadow 85 minutes of pure and utter shit.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Yeah...I know Santi is small - But he is doing what arshavinlazytwat should have done - Being a Creative force and genius....also Pods and giroud are both physically bigger than many of the signings AW has made....maybe...just maybe - he is looking at physicality PLUS skills?

augie

Post by augie »

Am stunned to see a Walnut thread lasting 46 pages :shock: Almost makes the transfer thread look skimpy in comparison :wink: :lol: