Suarez new contract - money in the game

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Suarez new contract - money in the game

Post by LDB »

A little while ago there was a debate on here about the true motivation behind 99% of big transfers in football, I argued that they are pretty much all about money. Now, at the time it was popular (and justified) to beat on the club over the RvP transfer so a lot of people wouldn't budge from believing that the *word censored* was more interested in some bits of tin to hang on his mantelpiece then the £200,000 a week that slur alex was waving in his face. Likewise, people actually believed that Goetze left Dortmund to work with Guardiola rather then over doubling his wages. Of course agents and players will feed this shit to the media, what are they going to do? Say they're leaving for a fat pay rise? I'd respect them if they actually did that but in the world of modern PR it just aint gonna happen.

So Suarez signs a new contract worth 200k a week a couple of months after trying to force his way out of the club by any means. The pundits and people on here have been believing that he wants champions league footbawl. It's quite a common euphemism used by players which really means "I want more money", oh no wait it was the backing of the fans that made him sign :lol: :lol:

Having said that I agree with g88ner that these players are well within their rights to get the most money possible, it is their job and it's only what any of us would do. I especially have no beef with players like Flamini who honour their contracts and then fuck off on frees. Fair play, you've signed a contract and you honoured it. I just hope some people will wake up and realise what it is all about and stop hanging onto delusions.

Merry Christmas :barscarf: :barscarf:

SteveO 35

Re: Suarez new contract - money in the game

Post by SteveO 35 »

Money is a driving force there's no doubt about it but he'll undoubtedly have release clauses in there if they don't qualify for the Champions League and minimum fee release clauses

This contract counts for as much as Cesc's 8 year contract did for us or the new one that Bale signed for the Spuds a year or two ago

Contract or no contract, 100k or 200k per week......if they finish 5th and Real Madrid come calling he'll be off

I don't believe Cesc went to Barca for a whole load more money than we were prepared to pay for him - just a bigger club who win things regularly as was proven when he went there, winning more in a year than he would have done in a whole career here

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

Cesc is certainly one of the exceptions that prove the rule. Arteta too who is rumoured to have taken a pay cut to join us, although I think us being a london club was possibly a factor there.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I think there's a big difference between players who go to clubs where they can win trophies (where, being top players at top clubs they will logically earn more money then most) and situations like with Suarez. He's looked for a move on a couple of occasions and is now staying at a club which hasn't challenged for the league or in Europe for some time. Massive money must have played a big part.
It'll be interesting to see how squad harmony is affected.

Kvltman

Post by Kvltman »

The new contract just guarantees Liverpool will looking at getting the kind of fee Spurs did for Bale. The form he is in right now Liverpool will struggle to hold on to him even if they qualify for the ECL.

kite

Post by kite »

Contract certainly has a release clause imo.

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

Good job we didn't sign Suarez as he "couldn't play for the first five games of the season anyway" :roll:

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

Of course it is all about money.
Suarez gets a pay rise his agent gets a big fee for the new deal & Liverpool keep a world class player that they can cash in for Bale type money.
Contracts just guarantee the selling club a fee no more,no less if the player is of value to the buying club it goes the other way of course as we well know saddled with players no one wants on silly money..you win some,you lose some.

Midz

Post by Midz »

SteveO 35 wrote:Money is a driving force there's no doubt about it but he'll undoubtedly have release clauses in there if they don't qualify for the Champions League and minimum fee release clauses

This contract counts for as much as Cesc's 8 year contract did for us or the new one that Bale signed for the Spuds a year or two ago

Contract or no contract, 100k or 200k per week......if they finish 5th and Real Madrid come calling he'll be off

I don't believe Cesc went to Barca for a whole load more money than we were prepared to pay for him - just a bigger club who win things regularly as was proven when he went there, winning more in a year than he would have done in a whole career here
Exactly and he'll be off for £200+ per week rather than what he was on before!

augie

Post by augie »

This is all about the buyout clause - Liverpool will feel safer believing that they have agreed a high buyout fee but Suarez, crafty fcuker that he is, will see that they ain't good enough for top 4 and the buyout clause will then be reduced to a more realistic level 8)

MrT

Post by MrT »

With Man united seemingly out of the race the dippers will finish top 4.

I find it amazing he would want to piss away his prime years at that club. If he truly wanted to leave in the summer why didn't he hand in a transfer request? More importantly why didn't Wenger and Co. make them an offer they couldn't refuse instead of that +£1 embarrassment.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Most players go to the club that pays them the highest salary, but not all players all of the time.

Winning trophies, sentiment and lifestyle do play a part.

Good example mentioned is Cesc, possibly all of the above applied? - Ability to win trophies, return to boyhood club, warm Mediterranean evenings eating Tapas?

Le Tissier was one who did not move to a big club despite being very talented- he liked life in Southampton so stayed put where he was comfortable.

Sam59

Post by Sam59 »

Pere Guardiola got a nice big pay off for Suarez's new contract, having used us as bait. Still going to be funny watching Jordan Henderson et al ask for £150 000 a week as Luis is on 200 k.
The money is insane.

augie

Post by augie »

MrT wrote:With Man united seemingly out of the race the dippers will finish top 4.

I find it amazing he would want to piss away his prime years at that club. If he truly wanted to leave in the summer why didn't he hand in a transfer request? More importantly why didn't Wenger and Co. make them an offer they couldn't refuse instead of that +£1 embarrassment.

They are 7pts behind us......do you honestly believe that they are out of the race ? :shock: I still believe that they will finish above us and the scousers will finish 5th or 6th at best

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

augie wrote:
MrT wrote:With Man united seemingly out of the race the dippers will finish top 4.

They are 7pts behind us......do you honestly believe that they are out of the race ? :shock: I still believe that they will finish above us and the scousers will finish 5th or 6th at best[/quote

Agree. They're out of the title race but more than capable of still finishing 3rd.