FA CUP THREAD Liverpool

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: FA CUP THREAD Liverpool

Post by Clash »

mcdowell42 wrote:Victim fan i work with told me we had no history ,so i just said i wouldnt want a history where 37 innocent italian fans were murdered.cue silence.
You let him off lightly mate, I'm sure it was 39.

I used to work with a Liverpool fan who was always talking about the Justice for the 96 thing and how they must never be forgotten. I didn't actually disagree but he genuinely couldn't believe it when I once had the audacity to say that its a pity Liverpool FC are not so forceful when it comes to reminding everyone what happened just 4 years before that.

Nowhere near as cutting as your response I know, but there is a huge contrast to how they've behaved when they are the victims of a tragedy rather than the cause of one. As far as I'm aware the only time LFC have even acknowledged Heysel formally was when they were more or less forced to after being drawn to play against Juventus approaching the 20th anniversary.

That must have been painful for them because mentioning Heysel to someone connected with Liverpool is off limits. You're bang out of order mcdowell :wink:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Leyton Gooner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:Victim fan i work with told me we had no history ,so i just said i wouldnt want a history where 37 innocent italian fans were murdered.cue silence.
Wtf no history? How old is he, 9?

Anyway brilliant response, wish I could have seen the look on the *word censored* 's face :lol:

Couldnt see his face yesterday as he didnt show up for work.
He'll have been signing on mate :wink: :lol:

16-21 supp forum rep

Post by 16-21 supp forum rep »

The Everton fixture is currently causing a nightmare for schedulers. As we play Munich on the Tues 11th March the only date possible is Sat 8th. The Friday 7th is unavailable due to players returning from international duty.

However, BT currently have West Brom v Man Utd scheduled for 12:45 in the league and Sky have Chelsea v Tottenham at 17.30. ITV are unwilling to schedule our game against the PL and so are BT hence we may have to wait a while longer for the fixture date to be announced.

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

Good to see TV not dictating how football is organised.

Simple solution is to give all the Arsenal and Everton players leave of absence from the dull meaningless international friendlies the previous week and play on the Friday.

16-21 supp forum rep

As the AFC v EVE fixture is the 1st pick tie of the round, ITV are reluctant to put it at an early lunchtime kick off as this time slot draws the fewest viewers. The police may also be reluctant to have Chelsea v Tottenham and Arsenal v Everton kicking off simultaneously if that time slot is chosen.

The simple solution would be to have it as a 3pm k/o on the Sat and for special dispensation to lift the blackout law preventing live football broadcasts between 15:00 and 17:00.

Common sense never prevails in football though.

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

The 3pm blackout seems very archaic and unecessary these days. Most pubs that show football will have access to some moody foreign channel showing most games live at 3pm anyway, and then of course there are the internet streams.

The notion that someone wont go and watch a lower level game because there is a game live on at the same time is a nonsense imo.

Clash

Post by Clash »

remigardeshair wrote:The 3pm blackout seems very archaic and unecessary these days. Most pubs that show football will have access to some moody foreign channel showing most games live at 3pm anyway, and then of course there are the internet streams.

The notion that someone wont go and watch a lower level game because there is a game live on at the same time is a nonsense imo.
Totally agree.

And the ridiculousness of the idea that it stops people going to watch lower league games is compounded by the fact that the games shown with 12.45 or 17.30 kick offs would still cause the same problem for the majority of people. At least it would if you don't live less than 15 minutes away from a ground. Hardly anyone can watch TV games and go to another game on the same day.

The technology exists to allow us all to pay a small charge to watch games legally ... which would mean the majority of games could go back to taking place in the tradition time of Saturday 3pm. I hate it when TV schedulers and the Europa league means only 3 or 4 games take place on a Saturday afternoon.

kiwomya

Post by kiwomya »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37012

Looks to be confirmed as 12:45 on the Saturday....

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Tbh the 3pm blackout rule is hardly a big deal anyway - how often would broadcasters actually want to waste one of their televised games then?

Loads of football fans will be at other games, playing football themselves, streaming their team, rather watching Soccer Saturday or otherwise busy (I imagine research may well suggest potential audiences are less likely to be sitting at home or whatever on mid-afternoon Sat).

Do agree they should have just lifted it in this instance given the pretty rare combination of factors as it hardly sets a widely-used precedent but can imagine the PL crying about it if attendances at their 3pm kick-offs were theoretically sabotaged by an FA Cup fixture circumventing a rule that frustrates them far more.

16-21 supp forum rep

For example, if Arsenal were allowed to stream this Saturday's game against Sunderland live on .com for a fee of £5 then fans from across the globe are likely to give the dodgy, unreliable streams a miss and pay the few quid to watch the game officially. If these costs were split between the Clubs, FA, PL etc. then I see no issue. Arsenal games that are televised (which is most) often sell out regardless of the ability to watch at home on tv.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

16-21 supp forum rep wrote:For example, if Arsenal were allowed to stream this Saturday's game live on .com for a fee of £5 then fans from across the globe are likely to give the dodgy, unreliable streams a miss
Except fans across the globe don't have 'dodgy, unreliable' streams. Most countries have the games available via their TV sets, as the PL is shown overseas en masse. Even 3pm Saturday games. It's only us in the UK scrambling for the streams.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
16-21 supp forum rep wrote:For example, if Arsenal were allowed to stream this Saturday's game live on .com for a fee of £5 then fans from across the globe are likely to give the dodgy, unreliable streams a miss
Except fans across the globe don't have 'dodgy, unreliable' streams. Most countries have the games available via their TV sets, as the PL is shown overseas en masse. Even 3pm Saturday games. It's only us in the UK scrambling for the streams.
Exactly. Forget charging people for streaming, it won't happen. A fiver seems reasonable but when people think of the cost of adding Sky Sports to their TV package and divide that by the number of football games they watch a month from the comfort of their own armchair in front of a big HD TV with a beer (or in the boozer), paying a fiver to watch on a laptop screen at the mercy of internet traffic and a secure connection seems like a rip-off. Circumstances were different but think about how many people would have watched that Ukraine v England game despite it being a dead rubber then think of the woeful take-up for the PPV streaming from the official broadcasters.

The only way that we'll going from here is the eventual move to universal coverage whereby every single game is televised in the UK (like other countries have).

Clash

Post by Clash »

16-21 supp forum rep wrote:For example, if Arsenal were allowed to stream this Saturday's game against Sunderland live on .com for a fee of £5 then fans from across the globe are likely to give the dodgy, unreliable streams a miss and pay the few quid to watch the game officially. If these costs were split between the Clubs, FA, PL etc. then I see no issue. Arsenal games that are televised (which is most) often sell out regardless of the ability to watch at home on tv.
Sounds reasonable to me.

And you never know, the extra revenue generated by thousands paying to watch Saturday 3pm games online in HD might allow a reduction in ticket prices for those still wanting to go to the game? Therefore not affecting attendances.

If you combine this with the re-introduction of standing areas it would surely allow more of the type of fans who will generate an atmosphere to start attending games again. The improvement in atmosphere then means a welcome end to this contrived bollocks where the likes of RedAction come up with cringeworthy shite like tomorrow nights fucking card display!!

Everyone's a winner ... which is why it wont ever happen!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Yep. In my local in Dublin you can walk in there any Saturday 3pm and they have 8 different screens on with anywhere between 5 and 8 games on live.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
Yep. In my local in Dublin you can walk in there any Saturday 3pm and they have 8 different screens on with anywhere between 5 and 8 games on live.

Yeah but do the 8 screens actually belong to the guy who owns the pub or were they taken illegally from someones homes :wink: