THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: WENGER - Views For and Against.

Post by DB10GOONER »

SPUDMASHER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
SPUDMASHER wrote:It's not the same as that though is it.

A marriage is a situation that affects the very core of your life. He's just the manager of a football club that you support. He hasn't wronged you personally.

That is where the difference lies and that is where people need to gain a little perspective.
This is a very good point. I know personally I'm devestated when we lose, particularly finals or other huge games, but you know, a couple days pass and I get over it. It is after all just football, not life or death, and no thieving Scouser quoting some old Jock is going to convince me different! :lol:

Wenger is NOT trying to hurt Arsenal, he's not trying to hurt us the fans. He is simply a man that was once successful, that now has failed repeatedly to retain that success and should be replaced. There's nothing personal in it, so I can't understand the hatred. My hatred is reserved for fuckers that actively and intentionally hurt or try to hurt my family, friends or, to a lesser extent, my club. Hatred is such an energy consuming emotion...
Has your missus been moaning about the size of my cock again?

Just send her to the local A&E and she can have a few stitches put in. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:

Yeah she said she kept asking you to move on from fingering and then was amazed that after approx 2 minutes your "finger" demonstrated an ability to ejaculate! To say she was surprised would be an understatement! :lol:

I thought you then trying to wedge in your fat little leg in some desperate form of self-compensation was just poor form to be honest... :x

:wink:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

That's why I cannot play the piano or use a smartphone......

Fat Fingers! :lol:

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Gunner Rob wrote:my view is quite simple.

he should go at the end of the season because he has split the fanbase.
in an ideal world i would love Martinez to come in but unfortunately I can't see that happening.
Think spitting the fanbase is the least of the efects thats happened over the last few years but I know what you mean

After about 3 minutes of any new appointment the fan base would be split though Rob, maybe thats how The Scum have managed to rampage through managers - :lol: :lol:

k1tsun3

Post by k1tsun3 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
SPUDMASHER wrote:I am constantly torn on the pro v anti Wenger debate on here and in other arenas of debate. I simply cannot agree with people who slate this guy to the level that some do. He does not deserve to be called such things a "useless c unt" and Arsene Wanker etc. I honestly think that the guy deserves much better than that. Not only did this man revolutionise a club that was going nowhere, he changed the whole approach to football across Europe. We would likely be a Newcastle/Tottenham/West Ham type club playing in an increasingly derelict stadium and praying for a place in the Europa league had he not come along.
His tenure has had a very clear split in the success factor. The first 9 years were awesome with us playing the best football this league has ever seen. The second has sadly been a massive let down. We'll never know the real reasons behind the lack of investment in the team (although many people are happy to throw the total blame at his feet). Is it the board, Wenger, or a combination of both? Whichever it is is not acceptable as the club made a very clear statement when they said that "Moving to this new stadium will enable us to compete with the biggest clubs in the transfer market".That just hasn't happened. The tactical ineptitude shown at times though is disastrous. The dogged determination that plan A will always work is niaive to say the the least. It may have been possible with Bergkamp, Pires, Vieira, Henry etc. but not with the teams post '06. We needed a plan B and he failed to provide it. That is totally down to him.

My position on this is simple.....

"Arsene, thank you so much for everything you have done for this club during your time here, but it is time to move on and give us an injenction of new blood at the top. Good luck wherever you go".
I'm of similar opinion on this, Spuddy. I'll ALWAYS love and respect him for what he did for us 1997-2006. I find the level of hatred for him on here is OTT tbh. I want him gone, God how I want him gone, but I can't bring myself to hate him, no matter how much he frustrates me.
Completely agree. I cannot hate him. Whilst I understand why so many are crying out for him to go, he still deserves respect for everything he has done for this club. You can be both critical and respectful.

As for the last 9 years, no one really knows what has gone on behind close doors. It's not as simple as saying Wenger has no plan B. The board and owner should be the ones taking the brunt of the hate and criticism. They could've sent him on his way but chose not you. Most clubs would've sent him packing after a few years without a trophy, regardless of CL qualification- look at City and Chelsea, evening winning trophies didn't provide security to managers there, let alone CL qualification. Some may argue that Wenger should've walked, but maybe Wenger believed that there was no one who would want to come in and work with all the restrictions placed on him, or couldn't do the job better than him. He definitely loves this club, even if he hasn't been able to reproduce the form of his first 9 years.

Regardless of manager, the owner and the board do not exude confidence, passionate, fight, desire or ruthlessness. I hope that with more freedom to spend that things will change all around, and if Wenger extends his stay but fails to make progress over the next 1-2 years that the board look for someone new. Wenger either needs to spend big and buy the players that allow for Plan A to work 95% of the time or he needs the pressure to force his hand with a Plan B.

No matter what happens with Wenger, you can't take away the 9 years of success he brought to this club and impact his has in football.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SPUDMASHER wrote:That's why I cannot play the piano or use a smartphone......

Retardation. :lol:
:lol: :wink: :wink:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

SPUDMASHER wrote:It's not the same as that though is it.

A marriage is a situation that affects the very core of your life. He's just the manager of a football club that you support. He hasn't wronged you personally.

That is where the difference lies and that is where people need to gain a little perspective.
Agree.

Unfortunately, every club like to talk about themselves as being "a family"or "the football family" - so little wonder that some go to extremes and overstate the importance of their ties to this or that person at the club.

And I have absolutely no interest in meeting in person anyone from the club. Unless they come to my place. And bring beer.

:barscarf: :D

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

k1tsun3 wrote:I can deal with it either way, but I hope the extension is a max of 2 years. The only reason I'd be content, although frustrated at time I'm sure, with a 2 year extensions is because of standing contracts that some of the managers that would be considered. Of course we could go for van Gaal, who could be fantastic for a few year, but is up there in age so wouldn't be long term, and there might be others that they could risk going for, maybe even the Athletico Madrid manager, who knows. But I have the sense that the club haven't really been looking as they seem so sure that Wenger will stay. A 2 yr extension would provide the club with time to find a replacement: Klopp would be coming to the end of his contract, Guardiloa would be coming to the end of his, and Martinez would have a couple years to prove his long-term worth. Those are just the 3 names that many supporters have mentioned, as well as some media outlets.
To be honest, you are assuming an awful lot here - mainly that these coaches won't get poached or are loyal to the point of letting their contracts go on without renewing.

The honest answer is there is not opportune time to grab a good manager. We will have to pay unless we go for van Gaal, which I hope that we do not.

On the Wenger renewing note - I hope to God that he doesn't renew. He has had more than enough chances and the financial argument has gone out of the window this year. The man got booed at Wembley - why would he want to continue on when all it can do is get worse - and that is what will happen.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

If only Augie was here to give his opinion :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:If only Augie was here to give his opinion :wink:
I believe he is quite fond of Mr Wenger, yes? :rubchin:

:lol:

k1tsun3

Post by k1tsun3 »

begeegs wrote: To be honest, you are assuming an awful lot here - mainly that these coaches won't get poached or are loyal to the point of letting their contracts go on without renewing.

The honest answer is there is not opportune time to grab a good manager. We will have to pay unless we go for van Gaal, which I hope that we do not.

On the Wenger renewing note - I hope to God that he doesn't renew. He has had more than enough chances and the financial argument has gone out of the window this year. The man got booed at Wembley - why would he want to continue on when all it can do is get worse - and that is what will happen.
Yes it does assume a lot, but regardless of who is available, if there is anyone I lost complete faith in, it's the board. I know we need a new manager, whether now or in the next year or so, but if it's rushed, as it seems it would be this summer as the board sound like they are 100% sure Wenger will sign a new deal, I have no faith the board would do the right thing. That is what scares me more than Wenger hanging about for one more year. I just have no trust in the board finding the right replacement, with their history leading me to believe that they would probably opt for van Gaal in the short term.

The club may or may not pay to buy out a manager, but my assumption is more that those managers won't leave, and considering history, I just don't see them walking midway through a contract, but they might. I'd love to see it happen. As for Martinez, I'd rather wait to see what he can do with Everton over the next couple of seasons.

My comments are simply observations of various angles, sometimes making assumptions, which is all we can do as none of us knows what is actually going on behind the scenes.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

begeegs wrote:
k1tsun3 wrote:I can deal with it either way, but I hope the extension is a max of 2 years. The only reason I'd be content, although frustrated at time I'm sure, with a 2 year extensions is because of standing contracts that some of the managers that would be considered. Of course we could go for van Gaal, who could be fantastic for a few year, but is up there in age so wouldn't be long term, and there might be others that they could risk going for, maybe even the Athletico Madrid manager, who knows. But I have the sense that the club haven't really been looking as they seem so sure that Wenger will stay. A 2 yr extension would provide the club with time to find a replacement: Klopp would be coming to the end of his contract, Guardiloa would be coming to the end of his, and Martinez would have a couple years to prove his long-term worth. Those are just the 3 names that many supporters have mentioned, as well as some media outlets.
To be honest, you are assuming an awful lot here - mainly that these coaches won't get poached or are loyal to the point of letting their contracts go on without renewing.

Agreed, if Wenger decides to sign the extension that has been on the table all along at this point I don't think anybody will be hanging round assuming he'll be going at the end of it. More likely other managers will assume they'll be carrying him out of the club in a box. Possibly after Sid does his best Lee Harvey Oswald impression.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:shock: :shock: :shock: Fuuuuuuuuuck Palace have beaten Everton ! :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :barscarf:

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

OneBardGooner wrote:
MrT wrote:It's started :barscarf:

"Arsenal plea to Wenger to sign new contract and confirm future as soon as possible"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... sible.html
Who the fuck was that AKB Gimp at the end....knows nothing absolutely Fucking NOTHING! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
people like that are whats wrong with this country, freak, eyshadow wearing, akb moron

Block93

Post by Block93 »

0-1 after 82 minutes at Wembley, conceding first goal to West Ham last night - I was at the games and you could just hear it, and then it changes round, and then **** me, Palace win at Everton, and City cock it up, and so I am watching Bale score the winner for Real, and so elated at Tony Pulis, and the great Barca losing and winning nothing, that I am forgetting he played for Spurs and that Wenger isn't any good and we've only got 25,000 tickets for the Final and I've been to three away games but got tickets direct from other clubs so I am in the Mugs Ballot, and and I think well I'd give him another season if he spends the money and just hoping we don't **** it up at Hull.

But apart from all that, a quiet evening in.

VAVAVOOM 14

Post by VAVAVOOM 14 »

The virtual trophy is coming home, lads!!

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: