THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Re: WENGER - Views For and Against.

Post by Leyton Gooner »

clockender1 wrote:still some very good managerial candidates around - De Boer, Ranieri, Vilanova, Benitez, :
Erm, mate. I don't want to be pedantic but.....

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Leyton Gooner wrote:
clockender1 wrote:still some very good managerial candidates around - De Boer, Ranieri, Vilanova, Benitez, :
Erm, mate. I don't want to be pedantic but.....
ha ha ha.

bollocks. :oops: i meant Martino.

i think he was a little unlucky this year with injuries - they matched the Real Madrid wonder squad, but couldn't defend as well as Athletico.

if you get 87 points and score 100 goals + in Spain you are usually champions and the Guy has a LOT of experience in Argentina.

LaughingGooner

Post by LaughingGooner »

Surely we should go for Sean Dyche.

A sure fire better manager than Wenger.........

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Conte is seriously impressing at Juve. Someone slip Gazidis his number.

Blood_Gooner

Post by Blood_Gooner »

officepest wrote:Conte is seriously impressing at Juve. Someone slip Gazidis his number.
Think he's now tied up a new deal with them.

Reckon he had held out waiting to see if he'd be in the run for the Barca or Manc job.

Or even quite possible that his London hopes got shattered after seeing Le Clueless lift the FA Cup on Saturday. :lol:

Derek Acorah

Post by Derek Acorah »

Conte has renewed his contract at Juventus hasn't he?

Very good manager. I still reckon you lot will get in Klopp in a few years.

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

Derek Acorah wrote:Conte has renewed his contract at Juventus hasn't he?

Very good manager. I still reckon you lot will get in Klopp in a few years.

Are you a voyeur? Or just cuckold? What are you doing on here Derek? If that is your real name? :roll:

WENGER OUT

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

ONE ARSENE WENGER......THERE'S ONLY ONE ARSENE WENGER

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

by LaughingGooner on Tue May 20, 2014 3:22 pm

Surely we should go for Sean Dyche.

A sure fire better manager than Wenger.........

If we got Dick van Dyke he would be a better manager than Arsole Wonga!! :roll: :barscarf:

Clash

Post by Clash »

LDB wrote:
Absolute garbage, stop being such a drama queen.

" But I cannot help wondering how many of those scenes Wenger's inept management has denied us in the last several years."

Crikey, and people talk about scousers having a sense of entitlement :shock:

" It is glory to win the FA Cup but it is not a reflection on the quality of your team." So I guess the logical conclusion from that is that not winning the FA Cup is not a reflection on the quality of your team either? By god, maybe the VT truly is Wenger's greatest ever achievement because let's face it, surely even the most blinkered Wenger hater must acknowledge that we're at a signicant disadvantage in terms of winning the league? (Not that it's completely impossible for us to do it of course).
:D That was the short version mate, you should see some of the garbage I left out!

I don't have a sense of entitlement when it comes to winning trophies ... but I do feel we are all entitled to have a manager who takes all the competitions seriously every year because, with the resources Arsenal have, that is possible.

For too long Wenger has sacrificed chances to win any of the cups by playing weakened sides or strong sides that have not been properly motivated to take cup games seriously. He has given priority to competitions we were not good enough to win and this severely hindered our chances of celebrating what we celebrated last weekend years earlier than we did.

For me, Wembley last weekend was proof that he has been wrong to do this. He has denied us having a proper chance to have had a lot more of that.

My real gripe though is that all that crap should now be in the past. But quite disgracefully the man who has not managed to get his team to put in a genuine title challenge just once in the last 10 seasons has been given another 3 seasons to continue.

Arsenal fans are entitled to more than that.

Bendtners Drinking Buddy

Post by Bendtners Drinking Buddy »

I dont disagree that the FA Cup is third in the list of priorities, but my god its still a big trophy to me and believe me every other club in the league could have swapped with us Saturday - all of them - it means a lot, maybe to the fans and players more than the board, but it matters.

I dont disagree either that 4th should be the third prirority - above winining the cup. We all want both - and we got it this year - but would the likes of Sagna, Per, Kos, Jack, Ramsey, Cazorla, Giroud, OX, Walcott Podolski, Ozil stay with, or indeed joined a club not in the top 4? In which case, would we have a team GOOD enough to win a trophy? We have had some class players.

Notwithstanding your views on individuals, I dont think its as simple as saying "Wenger has been doing it wrong" I think Wenger has been trying to do it all, with the top 3 as his priority - but with a squad that wasnt good enough!

We have had players like RVP, Cesc that we would argue were better than their peers in the team now, yet they won next to nothing in decent teams ('08 for example). Cup comps are hit and miss, the best team doesnt always win them - (but believe me im happy we have this year!) but personally the top 3 are the right top 3 in my opinion.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Bendtners Drinking Buddy wrote:I dont disagree that the FA Cup is third in the list of priorities, but my god its still a big trophy to me and believe me every other club in the league could have swapped with us Saturday - all of them - it means a lot, maybe to the fans and players more than the board, but it matters.

I dont disagree either that 4th should be the third prirority - above winining the cup. We all want both - and we got it this year - but would the likes of Sagna, Per, Kos, Jack, Ramsey, Cazorla, Giroud, OX, Walcott Podolski, Ozil stay with, or indeed joined a club not in the top 4? In which case, would we have a team GOOD enough to win a trophy? We have had some class players.

Notwithstanding your views on individuals, I dont think its as simple as saying "Wenger has been doing it wrong" I think Wenger has been trying to do it all, with the top 3 as his priority - but with a squad that wasnt good enough!

We have had players like RVP, Cesc that we would argue were better than their peers in the team now, yet they won next to nothing in decent teams ('08 for example). Cup comps are hit and miss, the best team doesnt always win them - (but believe me im happy we have this year!) but personally the top 3 are the right top 3 in my opinion.
Out of those players I think nearly all would stay. With the exception of Ozil at Real Madrid and Podolski at Bayern Munich - where he was a ressie - Arsenal is by far the biggest and best team they've played for. I'm not saying they would be happy if we drifted to mid-table but I don't think Wenger would immediately have a long line knocking on his door if we finished 5th.

spike241

Post by spike241 »

If it's either/or, I think a lot of players would prefer to stay at a 5th placed team that's winning trophies.
I find it strange that we place so much importance on qualifying for a competition we've only come close to winning once. It's got nothing to do with attracting quality players, it's all about the money.

We don't even try to get to the quarters any more, as soon as we're guaranteed 2nd in the group we start resting players.
Then we end up playing Munich and Barca every bloody year.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

why has Wenger STILL not signed his contract?

TurnipMasher

Post by TurnipMasher »

Gunner Rob wrote:why has Wenger STILL not signed his contract?
Anyone know the exact day his contract runs out? Rodders?