THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
topcat

Re: WENGER - Views For and Against.

Post by topcat »

Gunner Rob wrote:I think the thing that saddens me is that most of us on here know that Wenger is incapable of ever challenging for the title again and that the board show no ambition in anything higher than 4th either.

The club is rotten to the core.
He was "incapable" of winning a trophy to most on here before the other week though mate. "we'll bottle it, we always do in big games" everyone was saying. I think we'll win the league before the end of his 3 years, I honestly do.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

There is no link between winning the FA Cup this season and winning enough games against the Premier League elite.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

Blood_Gooner wrote:I wonder, on which forums WOBs are being shouted down?

On a few forums myself, mind you.
Arseblog comments pages for sure and in-between the off topic stuff on AWIMB. Shouted down might be taking it a bit far but no other forum I've come across comes close to this place for negativity.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Go the The Arsenal Twitter account.. they are falling over themselves to praise the leader...one superfan says " give him £10m a year as long as he stays"... I tweeted "another three years of false promise and frustration " time to put the tin hat on.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

One step forward, three years back.

I'd like someone to ask Gazidis at that Q and A thing in a few weeks, 'just what has Wenger done to deserve a new contract and a pay rise'?

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

this is the saddest day of our football clubs History bar leaving Highbury.

to give anyone a pay rise for the last four years is ridiculous.

my hope is that either does spend big this summer or he gets found out again as we get tonked by the top six and we finish 6th, so people will understand how behind and poor he really is.

one last time til August - WENGER OUT.

:banghead: :censored: :cussing: :banghead: :censored: :cussing:

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

a pay rise? fuck it they might as well. just to further illustrate the absurdity of modern Arsenal

augie

Post by augie »

clockender1 wrote:this is the saddest day of our football clubs History bar leaving Highbury.

my hope is that either does spend big this summer or he gets found out again as we get tonked by the top six and we finish 6th, so people will understand how behind and poor he really is.

In the last few years we have suffered some really humiliating defeats and performances but all of them combined didn't make me feel as badly as I do today :cry: Not a word of a lie, if I didn't have kids then every piece of AFC clothing that I own would now be a pile of ashes out in my garden, but I am trying real hard to avoid letting my kids see the real depth of my anger. This isn't The Arsenal that I grew up supporting. This isn't the club that I have prioritised above family and friends for almost 3 decades. This is a club that I could turn my back on and never look back and not feel the slightest bit guilty :cry: :cry: :cry:

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

augie wrote:
clockender1 wrote:this is the saddest day of our football clubs History bar leaving Highbury.

In the last few years we have suffered some really humiliating defeats and performances but all of them combined didn't make me feel as badly as I do today :cry: Not a word of a lie, if I didn't have kids then every piece of AFC clothing that I own would now be a pile of ashes out in my garden, but I am trying real hard to avoid letting my kids see the real depth of my anger. This isn't The Arsenal that I grew up supporting. This isn't the club that I have prioritised above family and friends for almost 3 decades. This is a club that I could turn my back on and never look back and not feel the slightest bit guilty :cry: :cry: :cry:
This unfortunately. I won't be going to any Arsenal game home or away now until he's gone. Heart just isn't in it. Mt lad can go with his mates in the younsters enclosure if he really wants but he's getting more into cricket anyway which is perfectly fine with me. Now going to enjoy my summer and the world cup and forget all about Arsenal. And all this less than two weeks after that day at Wembley :cry:

Leyton Gooner

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Demun210 wrote:This is good news, I just hope he makes the most of these 3 years, and the resources available to him.
When he doesn't and we endure three more years of failure to mount a serious challenge for the league (one that lasts into the final three games at least) will you finally admit he has to go?

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Leyton Gooner wrote:
Demun210 wrote:This is good news, I just hope he makes the most of these 3 years, and the resources available to him.
When he doesn't and we endure three more years of failure to mount a serious challenge for the league (one that lasts into the final three games at least) will you finally admit he has to go?
You're joking aren't you? 2017/18 is the season he is going to spend big :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Leyton Gooner

Post by Leyton Gooner »

northbank123 wrote:
Leyton Gooner wrote:
You're joking aren't you? 2017/18 is the season he is going to spend big :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
That ain't funny, cos we all know he's here til the fucking grave :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

VAVAVOOM 14

Post by VAVAVOOM 14 »

Our FA Cup victory rendered this moment inevitable - to be honest, he probably would've signed had we lost.

I feel indifferent: if we've in fact reached a point of prosperity - one in which we're able to splurge and be competitive in the transfer market AND Wenger's finally willing to spend said funds (and that's the crucial element here - what our/his, success/failure hinges on) then I'm not entirely adverse to his staying.

However, I wish his contract contained a stipulation whereby it dictated Wenger had to spend X amount of money to ensure we get the necessary players in. But seeing as our board foments the hoarding of our funds, there's no way they'd force Wenger to part with their precious capital.

I'm also disappointed to see the length of the contract: three years is too long. Wenger's virtually untouchable at the club - he'll never be sacked; if he doesn't change his stubborn ways or things really go awry, we're saddled with him until 2017...

In saying all that, one good thing to emerge from this is the security of our key players: Ramsey and Walcott have already expressed their joy at Wenger's extension - it's also a known fact that Arsene was instrumental in Ozil joining us. If Wenger were to go, I think players like Ramsey would be more tempted/find it easier to leave the club.

Post by 1989 »

3 years!? What a fucking joke! Utterly disgusting. Maximum I would have given him would've been a 1 year rolling contract based on trophies won. This confirms that Wenger runs this club. He gave himself a payrise too for good measure; wanker.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

1989 wrote:3 years!? What a fucking joke! Utterly disgusting. Maximum I would have given him would've been a 1 year rolling contract based on trophies won. This confirms that Wenger runs this club. He gave himself a payrise too for good measure; wanker.
1989, have you ever seen Me, Myself and Irene? :lol: