The Mesut Özil Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
spendsum4uckingmoney

Ozil is signing of the season (no really)

Post by spendsum4uckingmoney »

http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/28/mesut-ozi ... d-4743109/

Weldone lad. I believed in you from the start! :lol:

mcdowell42

Re: How to solve the Ozil problem?

Post by mcdowell42 »

Philipp Lahm: "If Arsenal can find the right striker who is fast and makes intelligent runs - then Mesut will be devastating this season."
9:44am - 30 Aug 14

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:Philipp Lahm: "If Arsenal can find the right striker who is fast and makes intelligent runs - then Mesut will be devastating this season."

The pressure is really on ozil this season - yes he is being fcuked about positionally by le cock, but he now has sanchez to run onto his passes so his excuses have almost disappeared.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Easy, cut our losses, and get rid of him. The current team cannot afford to carry luxury players/passengers.
Also,why did Wenger not sign Alonso?!

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

not a winger fact, why spend £42m and have him out wide and not getting involved.

You should build your team around your star man.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

A quote from an interview Özil gave to some journalist or other, pertains to Jorgi Low but relevant to Wenger too:

“I’m one of the best players in the world in that No10 position. Fans, coaches, players and everyone knows that my best position is playmaker.

“It’s different playing on the left. Joachim Löw needed me on the left. It’s not about the individual, it’s about the team.“

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... y-displays

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Rugby Gooner wrote:Easy, cut our losses, and get rid of him. The current team cannot afford to carry luxury players/passengers.
Also,why did Wenger not sign Alonso?!
Are you seriously asking why Wenger didn't spend £8m on a player who turns 33 next birthday?

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

I understand Ozil was voted Germany's player of the year last season by their fans? Think he might have received the award two years running? Real Madrid supporters (and Cristiano Ronaldo) went into mourning when he was sold (the fans even protested over the sale at Bales unveiling). Mourinho described Ozil as the best Number 10 in the world.

Can they all be wrong?

In my opinion Wenger is destroying him and shattering his confidence by playing him out of position just as he did with Arshavin. Ozil is a number 10, he needs to play around the box feeding our strikers and wingers. I doubt Cantona, Zola or Bergkamp would have been much cop if they had been stuck out on the wing!!

Wenger is obsessed with his 4-3-3 formation (or 4-1-2-2-1 or whatever stupid permutation you want to give it!) to the point where he constantly tries to force square pegs into round holes. Cazorla and Ozil (and Rosicky) are the same player. There is room for one of them in the starting 11 and whichever plays should not be played wide but as a number 10. Leave the wide roles to players with pace (Alexis, Theo, Ox) i.e. Play to their strengths (strange concept I know) then allow a Santi or Ozil to be a constant menace in the hole behind the front men.

If you were excellent at your job but your boss then moved you to a different role that was completely alien to you, it wouldn't be your fault if you underperformed would it? Ditto Mesut Ozil.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:Philipp Lahm: "If Arsenal can find the right striker who is fast and makes intelligent runs - then Mesut will be devastating this season."
Down the pub lunch time they had the manure v Burnley game on - and Di Maria - was raking passes to judascrunt and he (Di Maria) looked feckin' awesome - So IF we can get a 'Quality' striker who can indeed take the ball and turn or lay off with a brilliant first touch - Then yes, I think Ozil can be equally Awesome.

Hate to say it but he looks one excellent player - as fast as f*ck and his first touch is sublime . :cry:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Rosie_titters wrote:not a winger fact, why spend £42m and have him out wide and not getting involved.

You should build your team around your star man.
Absolutely. From day one Ozil should have been the first name inked in on that teamsheet in his best position. If that doesn't fit in with the rest of the team then we shouldn't have spent £42m on him.

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

Simple solution, offer him to Monaco as a direct swap for Falcao, everyone is happy, I'm fed up listening to excuses for his insipid performances, if he were good enough he would be showing it after a complete season, one thing I can't abide is a player coasting through matches, no drive and no emotion, going through the motions

VAVAVOOM 14

Post by VAVAVOOM 14 »

greengooner wrote:Simple solution, offer him to Monaco as a direct swap for Falcao, everyone is happy
Everyone bar Falcao whose lifelong dream is to play for Real Madrid.

Tomáš

Post by Tomáš »

Hi,
strange thing with Özil. A lot of german national squad supporters have been unhappy with his Performance during the WC2014 but he was almost always in the starting squad. In the final he moved from the wing to the center midfield position and I personally think that is the key with Mesut. He is not realy a wing Player, he is not fast enough. He needs good Support on the wing and a Counterpart as a striker, as an offensive midfield Player he is very good so it is a about the squad you build around him I guess.

Cheers,
Thomas

augie

Post by augie »

Tomáš wrote:Hi,
strange thing with Özil. A lot of german national squad supporters have been unhappy with his Performance during the WC2014 but he was almost always in the starting squad. In the final he moved from the wing to the center midfield position and I personally think that is the key with Mesut. He is not realy a wing Player, he is not fast enough. He needs good Support on the wing and a Counterpart as a striker, as an offensive midfield Player he is very good so it is a about the squad you build around him I guess.

Cheers,
Thomas

It's funny cos I feel that the Gooner faithful are split into 3 groups when it comes to ozil - (1) those who are willing to defend ozil no matter what (2) those that slate him purely cos his lack of appreciation/passion has pissed them off (3) those who are not happy with him but are cutting him more leeway based on the fact that le cock is playing him out of position
Personally I am in group 3 and I feel that we will NEVER see him fulfil his potential with us unless le cock plays him in the number 10 position, but at the same time I think that he still needs to do better than he is - we are not a good enough team to carry any player for 80-85 minutes per game

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Kick the lazy little fucker's arse from pillar to post rather than putting up with this lamentable, couldn't give a toss shit that we've seen in the first half at Leicester