The 2015 Transfer Rumours Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GoonerN5

Re: The 2015 Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by GoonerN5 »

Schneiderlin is a far better player than Coquelin, well done Wenger you *word censored*

Fuck off now useless *word censored*

Lee1

Post by Lee1 »

As I said before, all have views on quality of targets but thing I can't accept.....City,Utd,Liverpool,Chelsea have done their business.....as they should. We have, Cech, aside, done fuck all........it's just not good enough. :banghead:

RespectTheUmlaut

Post by RespectTheUmlaut »

@Augie

Except I never said he is the best DM in the league did I? I said he was the best DM in the league over the period that he returned and played consistently and I stand by that. No other player in the position put in the kind of performances that he did in big games over those few months including in the FA Cup Final. No doubt you and the WUM will point out it was only Villa but it was a cup final with the pressure on against a team in a decent vain of form.

I have reservations against Coquelin but if he can produce the level over the next few seasons that he produced from the new year til the season's end then yeah, I'll be delighted with him.

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

GoonerN5 wrote:Schneiderlin is a far better player than Coquelin, well done Wenger you *word censored*

Fuck off now useless *word censored*
You're wrong! I know cos Coquelin got a new shiny contract, and Arsene believed in him so much all along that he farmed him around dodgy European clubs and let him run down his contract at Charlton! Some feel he was the "best DCM in the league" last season :lol:
You know how things work at our club by now though - 4-5 months of form = whole season of achievement! :barscarf: :barscarf:
I repeat: Schneiderlin ain't Vieira but, he is miles superior to any of the midfielders we have, no question.
Worse still he was desperate to join us. Deal was there to be done. Nobody knows how good Coquelin is - who remembers when Alex Song played well for 3 months and most of our fans wanked themselves silly over it? Form is temp, class perm etc

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Based on what I've read about him, I'm disappointed we haven't signed Schneiderlin.

A few months back I thought he was a shoe in to join us. I hope Coquelin's form hasn't stopped that deal going through, although i think it probably did :?

Hope we don't live to regret it.

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

RespectTheUmlaut wrote:@Augie

Except I never said he is the best DM in the league did I? I said he was the best DM in the league over the period that he returned and played consistently and I stand by that. No other player in the position put in the kind of performances that he did in big games over those few months including in the FA Cup Final. No doubt you and the WUM will point out it was only Villa but it was a cup final with the pressure on against a team in a decent vain of form.

I have reservations against Coquelin but if he can produce the level over the next few seasons that he produced from the new year til the season's end then yeah, I'll be delighted with him.
So on the one hand, you "stand by" your comical assertion Coquelin was "the best DCM in the league" for a few months...but a few sentences later you claim to "have reservations"?? Which is it then! It's also so hilariously easy to smash your fiction, as I have a vivid image of Kondogbia chewing him up, then spitting him out at the Emirates, added to that 45 mins at OT in the league when he made Fellaini look like Rijkaard (go back and see what others said at the time).

But it's ok, cos he dominate Jack "Diego" Grealish against Villa. :roll:

Schneiderlin is the superior player of the two and it ain't even close.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:

So on the one hand, you "stand by" your comical assertion Coquelin was "the best DCM in the league" for a few months...but a few sentences later you claim to "have reservations"?? Which is it then!
Nothing wrong with that comment at all.

He's clearly saying he was impressed with Coquelin's form last season but has reservations over whether he can produce it long term.

I think most fans agree.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Coquelin will be fine next season, as long as he doesn't get injured.

If Theo signs a new contract, then we won't sign a striker. Wenger has pretty much said we don't need any more offensive players. As long as we sign that CB we desperately need I for one will be happy.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

nut flush gooner wrote:Coquelin will be fine next season, as long as he doesn't get injured.

If Theo signs a new contract, then we won't sign a striker. Wenger has pretty much said we don't need any more offensive players. As long as we sign that CB we desperately need I for one will be happy.
centre back?

We signed Gabriel in January and Chambers last summer, and neither were cheap (£25m+ between them?). Plus we have Mertersacker and Koscielny on our books and none look likely to leave.

Not saying we don't need an upgrade but I'd be amazed if we sign another centre back. :?

RespectTheUmlaut

g88ner wrote:
Ikechukwu1 wrote:

So on the one hand, you "stand by" your comical assertion Coquelin was "the best DCM in the league" for a few months...but a few sentences later you claim to "have reservations"?? Which is it then!

He's clearly saying he was impressed with Coquelin's form last season but has reservations over whether he can produce it long term.

I think most fans agree.
Thanks for breaking it down for him, mate. 8)

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

g88ner wrote:
Ikechukwu1 wrote:

I think most fans agree.
Please read what he said in the previous page of this thread. Which is why more than one person ridiculed the statement - he clearly said that Coquelin was "the best DCM in the league" over a 5-month period. This is clearly absolute rubbish, and was called out. Nothing wrong with believing in Coquelin, but making hilarious unsubstantiated claims (read it again pls) is farcical. Even over a 3 month period, Coquelin never has been anywhere near the best DCM in the league. Fact.

My personal fave was "his form last season was up there with any DCM in the world". Which would explain the butt-hump Kondogbia dished him out in the CL :oops:
What does that even mean "form was up there with world's best players in his position? Over a few matches Leicester league form was up there with Barca's. Over a few months Cazorla form was better than Iniesta's. Ultimately what does that mean?

RespectTheUmlaut

Ikechukwu1 wrote:
g88ner wrote:
Ikechukwu1 wrote:

I think most fans agree.
Please read what he said in the previous page of this thread. Which is why more than one person ridiculed the statement - he clearly said that Coquelin was "the best DCM in the league" over a 5-month period. This is clearly absolute rubbish, and was called out. Nothing wrong with believing in Coquelin, but making hilarious unsubstantiated claims (read it again pls) is farcical. Even over a 3 month period, Coquelin never has been anywhere near the best DCM in the league. Fact.

My personal fave was "his form last season was up there with any DCM in the world". Which would explain the butt-hump Kondogbia dished him out in the CL :oops:
What does that even mean "form was up there with world's best players in his position? Over a few matches Leicester league form was up there with Barca's. Over a few months Cazorla form was better than Iniesta's. Ultimately what does that mean?
It means he's showed that he has the potential to do that job very well. It also means that we don't know if he can do it consistently because he only did it for a few months hence my reservations.

Jeez, you're really not too bright are you?

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

Yeah right you are. I'm enjoying your massive backing down. So "we don't know" if Coquelin can do the job consistently as you admit; yet Schneiderlin - who has done the job consistently for 2 years now (not 2-3 months please note :lol:) isn't worth pursuing. LOL.
Fair play, that Ozil stat was possibly the funniest thing I've read this week :barscarf: :barscarf:

RespectTheUmlaut

Coquelin or not, I'd like to think we'd be aiming higher than Schneiderlin at £25million. Also, Schneiderlin isn't really a defensive midfielder.. he's more of a box-to-box and again, if we are signing a box-to-box midfielder, I'd rather someone of superior quality especially at the price.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

RespectTheUmlaut wrote:Coquelin or not, I'd like to think we'd be aiming higher than Schneiderlin at £25million. Also, Schneiderlin isn't really a defensive midfielder.. he's more of a box-to-box and again, if we are signing a box-to-box midfielder, I'd rather someone of superior quality especially at the price.
Exactly why is everyone creaming themselves over Schneiderlin and why do we need box to box midfielders, we have Jack Wilshere who is more than capable of filling that role. I think at long last Jack may well be fitter for the forthcoming season than he has been for years, he has pledged his allegiance to the club so why piss him off?

Every Soton player that has gone to a bigger club has flopped, £25m is laughable.