The 2015 Transfer Rumours Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
S3aninLondon

Re: The 2015 Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by S3aninLondon »

Having watched today's game, it's clear that

1) Maureen was right to try and block Cech's move. If we had Woj or Ospina in goal, we would have lost. Not only for the saves Cech made but the confidence he gave to the defence.
2) Wally cant play the lone striker role. Even on the few occasions he had one man between him and goal, you knew he wouldn't have the beating of the last man. To offer him 140k a week is criminal, if you ask me. Wenger should've cut his losses whilst he could and shipped him off to the victims for £30m.
3) When Giroud was bought on, we were instantly more dangerous and more direct and had penetration. If we had a world class striker, we would've won at a canter. Giroud is a good back up. No more!
4) You don't need to be Einstein to work out we need a strong holding midfielder to add bite to the team. We were lucky that we weren't overrun in the first 15 mins. We hardly touched the ball. Coq came more into the game, especially after we scored, but a world class DM is needed.

The mad Frenchman has 30 days to sort this out and save us from another mediocre and frustrating season. I would've actually preferred us to have gotten a beating, if anything to make him see how shorthanded we are in the DM and striker position. But I fear that he will think that he's sorted and be done with just Cech. He needs to sign Busquet and Lewandowski.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

S3aninLondon wrote:Having watched today's game, it's clear that

1) Maureen was right to try and block Cech's move. If we had Woj or Ospina in goal, we would have lost. Not only for the saves Cech made but the confidence he gave to the defence.
2) Wally cant play the lone striker role. Even on the few occasions he had one man between him and goal, you knew he wouldn't have the beating of the last man. To offer him 140k a week is criminal, if you ask me. Wenger should've cut his losses whilst he could and shipped him off to the victims for £30m.
3) When Giroud was bought on, we were instantly more dangerous and more direct and had penetration. If we had a world class striker, we would've won at a canter. Giroud is a good back up. No more!
4) You don't need to be Einstein to work out we need a strong holding midfielder to add bite to the team. We were lucky that we weren't overrun in the first 15 mins. We hardly touched the ball. Coq came more into the game, especially after we scored, but a world class DM is needed.

The mad Frenchman has 30 days to sort this out and save us from another mediocre and frustrating season. I would've actually preferred us to have gotten a beating, if anything to make him see how shorthanded we are in the DM and striker position. But I fear that he will think that he's sorted and be done with just Cech. He needs to sign Busquet and Lewandowski.
Well summed up.

As for Busquets and Lewandowski... we definitely need them, but would Barca and Bayern be mad enough to sell them? and would they want to leave those clubs to join Arsenal? :( (and would we pay the money required?)

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

g88ner wrote:

Well summed up.

As for Busquets and Lewandowski... we definitely need them, but would Barca and Bayern be mad enough to sell them? and would they want to leave those clubs to join Arsenal? :( (and would we pay the money required?)

there are other options. dm sven or lars bender would be big upgrades, both gettable for not huge amounts.

re striker, i refuse to believe there is not a striker significantly better than giroud who we cannot sign for 40m-50m on comparable wages to giroud or wally. (remember we have spent fuck all this summer and probably saved on wages of ins and outs (given pods big wages) but then we have spunked those savings away on the indefensible wally and giroud 130k+.

markyp

Post by markyp »

Benteke would have been worth a shot,scored a blinder on his debut today and only been training for a week,strong,fast and can finish,he is Giroud and Walnut rolled into one

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

Absolutely agree with all the above. Lars Bender please. Busquets would never join, huge step down. Coquelin isn't good enough, those 5 months of his are going to be cruelly exposed this season. Today was just the start - it'll be far tougher in the pressure games (I always think back to the way Kondogbia absolutely munched him v Monaco).

I still think Lewandowski is the best option for the attack by far and more gettable than Benzema. He's a better finisher, stronger on the ball and a big game player. I think a £40m offer and Bayern surely sell (remember they got him for £0!)

I'll add again, the team needs a CB badly. Mertesacker will be slaughtered in the all the big games. He's physically weak, he's slow, he doesn't dominate in the air. Only thing he has going is positioning - but if he ever is out of position (and he often is) then it's a certain goal for the oppo. Get rid or keep as a FA Cup and league cup player.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

markyp wrote:Benteke would have been worth a shot,scored a blinder on his debut today and only been training for a week,strong,fast and can finish,he is Giroud and Walnut rolled into one
Absolute bollix ,if you are that depressed about arsenal ,go into a darkened room with a gun and don't bother coming out.

S3aninLondon

Post by S3aninLondon »

The fact that he's spunked 270k a week on Wally and Giroud probably means no striker is incoming. That's 13.5m a year, which is what Ronaldo is on. Absolutely criminal. pissing away the season ticket renewals and TV money.

wenger out!

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

mcdowell42 wrote:
markyp wrote:Benteke would have been worth a shot,scored a blinder on his debut today and only been training for a week,strong,fast and can finish,he is Giroud and Walnut rolled into one
Absolute bollix ,if you are that depressed about arsenal ,go into a darkened room with a gun and don't bother coming out.
Bit harsh there mate.

Benteke will score 20+ this season

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

S3aninLondon wrote:The fact that he's spunked 270k a week on Wally and Giroud probably means no striker is incoming. That's 13.5m a year, which is what Ronaldo is on. Absolutely criminal. pissing away the season ticket renewals and TV money.

wenger out!
That does concern me as I can't see him selling Welbeck either :?

Worrying times.

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

S3aninLondon wrote:The fact that he's spunked 270k a week on Wally and Giroud probably means no striker is incoming. That's 13.5m a year, which is what Ronaldo is on. Absolutely criminal. pissing away the season ticket renewals and TV money.

wenger out!
I'll say again: Neymar is on approx £250k p/w at Barca, Suarez is on the same.
Lewandowski is on less than £150k, Bale is on £250k.
Surely your rather have just one such top player on big wages, than 2 average ones on stupid money? :shock:
It's absolutely mental from Wenger, up there with making Diaby a multi-millionaire for almost a decade and paying Denilson/Bendtner £50k p/w!!!! Massive waste of money, £130k a week Giroud basically starts all the big games on the bench :roll:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:
Bit harsh there mate.

Don't think he will ,probably a bit harsh,few pints in me,if benteke was so shit hot ,why weren't the big clubs after him,a faster Andy Carroll ,they won't even come any where near us,scummy football club who won't finish in top 4.

S3aninLondon

Post by S3aninLondon »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:

wenger out!
I'll say again: Neymar is on approx £250k p/w at Barca, Suarez is on the same.
Lewandowski is on less than £150k, Bale is on £250k.
Surely your rather have just one such top player on big wages, than 2 average ones on stupid money? :shock:
It's absolutely mental from Wenger, up there with making Diaby a multi-millionaire for almost a decade and paying Denilson/Bendtner £50k p/w!!!! Massive waste of money, £130k a week Giroud basically starts all the big games on the bench :roll:
Out of the two, I'd give Giroud the benefit of the doubt, since his goal scoring record since he's come has been just about acceptable. However Wally is where I have major issues. He's been at the club for almost 10 years. In that time has milked the club for millions and people still going about him becoming a world beater and him bemoaning that he should be given a central role. No final ball, can't cross the ball to save himself, can't finish. he's having a laugh. :banghead: At least it still gives me hope that my 3 year old son, might have what it takes one day to make it as a pro. :D

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

mcdowell42 wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:
Bit harsh there mate.

Don't think he will ,probably a bit harsh,few pints in me,if benteke was so shit hot ,why weren't the big clubs after him,a faster Andy Carroll ,they won't even come any where near us,scummy football club who won't finish in top 4.
I'd say it because of his reputation of being a bit of a twat. A few months back I would of loved him at Arsenal but lately I'm thinking he's probably not worth the hassle.

Still think he'll score loads for them

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

If Lewandowski is available then sign him up!

He is the real deal.

markyp

Post by markyp »

mcdowell42 wrote:
showing yourself to be the bell end we all know you are :shock: