Community Shield 2015.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Re: Community Shield 2015.

Post by Leyton Gooner »

If I were the manager I'd be giving every one of the players who shook the horrible piece of lowlife scum's hand a dressing down!

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

We are now ready to compete, it's taken a long time but this team is very capable. The result means nothing but believe.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

nut flush gooner wrote:We are now ready to compete, it's taken a long time but this team is very capable. The result means nothing but believe.
As much as anything else just don't see us doing massive things with Giroud and Walcott alternating as lone strikers.

When was the last time a side won the league with a lead striker of that calibre?

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Just got back. Good day.Good result! :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

it seems im the only one not at all excited or expectant about this season.

i cannot se anything more than a scrap for 4th. the same issues remain as ever. ospina did a good job last season. cech is a fine signing and upgrade but gk wasnt anywhere near our weakest link.

striker and then class dm were and remain so.

our rivals have all strengthened but we just have a a new gk. why are people so expectant of us challenging for the title now?

we wont unless a better striker than giroud is signed.

if we have that striker we can get by with coq. and at least challenge. we wont win the league without both those issues being addressed though.

i just cannot motivate myself to get excited or expectant when the exact same issues that have existed for years remain.

call me a miserable bastard but we have lacked a top class striker and dm for years and still do.

Midz

Post by Midz »

the playing mantis wrote:it seems im the only one not at all excited or expectant about this season.

i cannot se anything more than a scrap for 4th. the same issues remain as ever. ospina did a good job last season. cech is a fine signing and upgrade but gk wasnt anywhere near our weakest link.

our rivals have all strengthened but we just have a a new gk. why are people so expectant of us challenging for the title now?

if we have that striker we can get by with coq. and at least challenge. we wont win the league without both those issues being addressed though.

i just cannot motivate myself to get excited or expectant when the exact same issues that have existed for years remain.

call me a miserable bastard but we have lacked a top class striker and dm for years and still do.

I agree with you and think most people are of the same opinion. It's tiring repeating these same problems over and over again.

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

People are not posting agreement with you because it is just so fucking obvious. 10 years of ground hog day. Still nice to beat the chav scum though. :barscarf: :barscarf:

RespectTheUmlaut

Post by RespectTheUmlaut »

This place is always quieter when we win, eh?

A few particularly noticeable absentees from this thread!

Anyway, good win for the Arsenal today and nice to draw first blood, so to speak. Maureen is clearly rattled and it's quite funny to watch. He's obsessed with us.

augie

Post by augie »

the playing mantis wrote:it seems im the only one not at all excited or expectant about this season.

Not alone are you not the only one, but you are actually only one voice in a very big majority - there is only very, very small number of people who believe that we can win the league with those two as our first choice strikers, but sadly for the rest of us, le cock is one of those individuals :roll:

That being said, lets just enjoy today for what it is......a victory over a classless scumbag club and their pikey captain and their arrogant tosspot manager 8)

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

northbank123 wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:We are now ready to compete, it's taken a long time but this team is very capable. The result means nothing but believe.
As much as anything else just don't see us doing massive things with Giroud and Walcott alternating as lone strikers.

When was the last time a side won the league with a lead striker of that calibre?
I've been 'slagged off' for the past couple of years for saying just that. And our third so called striker (Danny Boy), is not much better !!.
Pleased with any win over Chel$ki though. :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

augie wrote:

Not alone are you not the only one, but you are actually only one voice in a very big majority - there is only very, very small number of people who believe that we can win the league with those two as our first choice strikers, but sadly for the rest of us, le cock is one of those individuals :roll:

That being said, lets just enjoy today for what it is......a victory over a classless scumbag club and their pikey captain and their arrogant tosspot manager 8)

As far as this forum goes I think you're right, he is one voice in a very big majority. I don't think that necessarily extends outside this forum though. I think the majority, if not by a large margin, do still believe we can win the league with those strikers.
Personally I don't think we can win the league with our current squad but it isn't down to the strikers. I think it's down to our one dimensional approach and playing the same game regardless of the opposition. We're too easy to predict and teams know how to play us. Granted, when we had the team of 03-04 it didn't matter if they did know how to play us. That team would have beaten anyone regardless. This team isn't at that level though and a top quality striker and DM alone isn't going to change that.

augie

Post by augie »

Thats my belief too spuddy - the 03/04 team could have played any team off the park, but if you wanted to mix it up and get physical with them, then they would be perfectly happy to take them that way too 8) This team only knows tippy tappy. This team has no leaders on the pitch. This team has a very weak spine and an average defence. These, to me, are all reasons why we wont win the league just by buying a top quality striker - buy a top quality physically dominating DM as well, then we might have a chance because both of them would largely negate most of the flaws and that would leave our tactical weaknesses as our main (not only) roadblock in our bid to be champions again

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

RespectTheUmlaut wrote:This place is always quieter when we win, eh?

A few particularly noticeable absentees from this thread!

Anyway, good win for the Arsenal today and nice to draw first blood, so to speak. Maureen is clearly rattled and it's quite funny to watch. He's obsessed with us.
Wonder who you are talking about :wink:

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

SPUDMASHER wrote: This team isn't at that level though and a top quality striker and DM alone isn't going to change that.
Actually Spudy, Im not sure so thats right for the league- all the other teams are all pretty poor too at the moment- take Costa away and The Chavs cant score regularly, we have to see if Falcao is their answer, I suspect not, and The Pikey Terry is nearing 35 . Manure are still short by some way though will improve, Victims are way poor, and Citeh are aging still and havent addressed their failings.

Really enjoyed the day, except my flag came off and blew away when cheering The Oxes goal. :oops: :oops:

Hoarse voice after singing the Cech song down Wembley way afterwards. :barscarf: :barscarf:

Gibbs and Santi so close to making it 3 :evil:

Impressed by some great Ozil play, one piece of flick ons across the goal in the first half was breathtakingly great, shame no goal from that :oops:

S3aninLondon

Post by S3aninLondon »

As well as a world class Striker and DM, we also need a Center Half. BFG will get absolutely killed in the big games. He's on his last legs. He's an old warhorse who should be graceful put out to pasture. Not sure why Wenker isn't playing Gabriel. Would've thought that yesterday's game would have been a perfect opportunity to test him out in a game that means nothing and if he did feck up, no big deal! Looks like another £15m + another few million in wages wasted. Ezequiel Garay from Zenit was mentioned not so long ago as a possible signing. A rotation of Garay, Kos, Gabriel with Chambers and BFG would provide us with the defensive unit that we would need to sustain a challenge on all fronts.