Would you sell Ramsey for £50m (now £20m)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Would you sell Ramsey for £50m

Yes
65%
No
26%
It depends
9%

Total votes: 68

Re: Would you sell Ramsey for £50m

Post by 1989 »

DarylAFC wrote:Yes.

Too inconsistent and to be honest, there are much better players out there. For £50M, we could get a vastly superior player.
Name a box to box midfielder vastly superior than Ramsey? And no the likes of Pogba will cost even more.

To answer the question in the thread title: NO.

gp543

Post by gp543 »

1989 wrote:

Too inconsistent and to be honest, there are much better players out there. For £50M, we could get a vastly superior player.
Name a box to box midfielder vastly superior than Ramsey? And no the likes of Pogba will cost even more.

Veratti, Modric, Vidal, Marchisio, and Matuidi are all far better than Ramsey. None of them would cost £50mil.

augie

Post by augie »

1989 wrote:

What or how do you define box to box ? Tbf ramsey doesnt do a lot defensively for us and this was shown against the victims last week when himself and flamoney were largely dominated by a shit scouse midfield :oops: Dont get me wrong cos he does get back a fair amount of the time, but it's not that he is back making great tackles or blocks - does he do any more defensively than willian for example ?
Anyway if he said that ramsey is a great attacking midfielder (nowhere near the best mind) then you would have my agreement, but I dont think that he is a real box to box player

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

I would sell him for anything over £30M.

He is a good hard working player, seems a very sensible lad, but not amazing and to me offers nothing unique.

He is a box-to-box midfielder who is not usually creative enough for the way we play.

Would have been very useful in our 1998 team though, suited to a 4-4-2 next to a Vieira or a Petit.

*Augie - I define box-to-box midfielder as a hard working central midfielder who usually drops as far deep as his own team's penalty area and runs with the ball towards the opposition's penalty area.
This can be with the ball, or as a supporting run without the ball.
He will then usually pass the ball to a striker to shoot or a wide midfielder to play in a cross.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

I m not a huge Ramsey fan, as I think he is all about him getting the glory for himself, not the team.

He has a great engine, stamina wise is still making forward runs late into the match but he doesn't do it the other way - watch him closely when the opposition have the ball, it is a half hearted jog back into position.

He doesn't have the intricate passing of Ozil, cant play the wide role and in my opinion offers little defensively (which is what we lack) so I would be happy to sell and get a player that gives us a better balance.

(Elneny may already be that player to give us the perfect balance, who knows)

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

What Ramsey can potentially offer is goals.

That was what he was doing in his purple patch in 2013. He's not technically gifted particularly, he's not going to physically grab the game by the scruff of the neck like a Vieira or a Toure, to be honest he is not going to be able to run the show like Fabregas used to because he's never going to be that good a footballer frankly.

But then how good a footballer was Lampard, honestly? Not necessarily the greatest, but he scored goals that carried Chelsea to trophies. Ramsey is solid enough to play as part of a CM pairing so doesn't have to be a luxury players. It's all about goals for me and if he can rediscover his ability to hit the box at the right time and confidence in front of goal and do that on a consistent basis throughout his career he might be a 50m player. If he doesn't he is never going to be a top player because he doesn't really have any standout assets.

Blade

Post by Blade »

Yes since the injury does not seem right.

Passes under-hit,mis-hit,over-hit,straight out.

Feeder club for Barca anyway.

Cesc Fabregas £31m
Thomas Vermaelen £15m
Alex Song £15m
Aleksander Hleb £12m
Thierry Henry £16m
Gio van Bronckhorst £2m
Marc Overmars £25m
Emmanuel Petit £7m

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

So if Barcelona deem him good enough to play in their midfield, and be good enough to command a 50m transfer fee, wouldnt that suggest Ramsey to be a high quality player.

I love all the arm chair managers you come across on these forums, 'sell for 50m and buy Pogba' - what world do you all live in?

Ramsey is the best box to box midfielder in the league. His selflishness and desire to score is a trait. Why have another midfielder who wants to pass rather than take a shot? Rememner the old days of Hleb, Rosicky, Fabregas passing it between each other, wantint to walk the ball in the net.

If you cant appreciate Ramsey, then perhaps football isnt for you.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

They did also buy Hleb and Song off us though so hardly a watertight argument.

I am one of Ramsey's biggest supporters on here but his game is based on goals and they have dried up a bit over the last two years. Despite being referred to as a box-to-box midfielder he doesn't exactly offer much defensive stability and I can't remember him running the midfield recently like Vieira or even Fabregas used to for us.

If he's not scoring goals then this concept of him as a top player falls away.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Wilson wrote:So if Barcelona deem him good enough to play in their midfield, and be good enough to command a 50m transfer fee, wouldnt that suggest Ramsey to be a high quality player.

I love all the arm chair managers you come across on these forums, 'sell for 50m and buy Pogba' - what world do you all live in?

Ramsey is the best box to box midfielder in the league. His selflishness and desire to score is a trait. Why have another midfielder who wants to pass rather than take a shot? Rememner the old days of Hleb, Rosicky, Fabregas passing it between each other, wantint to walk the ball in the net.

The problem with the opening line of your argument is the word 'if'. Where are any quotes or indeed other proof that Barcelona have / are going to bid that much for Ramsey?

As for 'what world do people live in' in reference to making suggestions as to what they would do if (that word again!!!) they were Arsenal manager - aren't they merely doing what we have all done at some point in our lives as football fans, regardless of how ridiculous it might seem in reality? I would even suggest that it's actually the 'real world' of the proper big clubs with ambition that would make something like the Pogba deal happen. Alas, we act like a club that despite its history and finances, no longer belong (or are frightened to compete) in that world. :cry: :banghead:

Personally I rate Ramsey, although I don't think we always get the very best out of him. However don't you think it is a bit arrogant and quite dismissive of you to effectively claim those people that don't appreciate or rate him that highly can't know much about football/ should look for another sport to follow? That was naughty. Very, very naughty - especially for a newbie!! :evil: :box: Now as it happens, most of the people that frequent this place don't know what they are talking about, but hey, we still allow them to have their say coz we are nice like that. 8) :lol:

Finally, welcome to the forum. 8) :wink:

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Wilson wrote:If you cant appreciate Ramsey, then perhaps football isnt for you.
For every good thing he does there's an equivalent bad decision. If you can't see that then, well, you know the rest.

Welcome, btw.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

officepest wrote:
For every good thing he does there's an equivalent bad decision. If you can't see that then, well, you know the rest.

Welcome, btw.
Philosophical, offers. :shock: :D

Like Wilson. He's a throwback to the old days when kids came on here with a bee in their bonnet regarding the general tone or some specific issue. Would tear it up for a while then calm down a bit after that.

:barscarf: 8)

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Wilson wrote:So if Barcelona deem him good enough to play in their midfield, and be good enough to command a 50m transfer fee, wouldnt that suggest Ramsey to be a high quality player.

I think all that sunshine and loneliness on that island with Tom Hanks has addled your brain. :box:

officepest

Post by officepest »

arseofacrow wrote:
officepest wrote:

Welcome, btw.

Philosophical
, offers. :shock: :D

Like Wilson. He's a throwback to the old days when kids came on here with a bee in their bonnet regarding the general tone or some specific issue. Would tear it up for a while then calm down a bit after that.

:barscarf: 8)
*Rubs chin, sparks up a gauloises*

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think that sardines will be thrown into the sea.

What…is a gay?

*Stubbs fag, orders Ricard*

officepest

Post by officepest »

StuartL wrote:I think all that sunshine and loneliness on that island with Tom Hanks has addled your brain. :box:
You're on good form tonight, Stu. :D