Hull City (A) | FA Cup R5R | Tuesday 8th March| 19:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Hull City (A) | FA Cup R5R | Tuesday 8th March| 19:00

Post by augie »

Supagoon wrote:I said it before Journos are arseholes and they have done this before. They can criticise Arsene when they want, but if fans do it, they're impatient and impulsive.

Ignore these guys, if they bothered to ask the fans why they want him gone, they would struggle to argue back

Seems like everybody is so attached to Wenger they panic at the thought of the end of his tenure.

The problem is that we have a LOT of cowardly fans who will back off from any protests when they see the reactions last night :roll: I absolutely believe that the vast majority of Gooners want wenger replaced, but many of those will only vocally show that in public if they feel that the majority are with them - backlashes on twitter and some knob fans trying to block the banner, will only tell these guys that wenger is still supported and they will return to their corners and sit silently :evil:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I'm not sure why so many are surprised by Wrighty's reaction. Very few players will publicly criticize a manager that made them successful in their career. In Wrighty's mind he would never have won a PL winners medal without Wenger. The likes of Keown and Adams had their careers extended (and extended with winners medals) by Wenger. This isn't just ex-Arsenal players. It's the same with players of any club that have won medals. Even ex-players that have very obviously fallen out with Wenger (Bergkamp and Vieira for example) won't publicly slate him. Rightly or wrongly, there is a certain level of loyalty to their old boss.

You have to remember they meet each other fairly regularly throughout a season at various matches and events.

Regarding Wrighty, it's sad to see so many on here spitting bile all over a club legend. But then, he really shouldn't be commenting on banners because he's going to upset one side or the other and he really really should not be on social media slating fans that pay their money and travel all over the country and Europe supporting the team.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

DB10GOONER wrote:I'm not sure why so many are surprised by Wrighty's reaction. Very few players will publicly criticize a manager that made them successful in their career. In Wrighty's mind he would never have won a PL winners medal without Wenger. The likes of Keown and Adams had their careers extended (and extended with winners medals) by Wenger. This isn't just ex-Arsenal players. It's the same with players of any club that have won medals. Even ex-players that have very obviously fallen out with Wenger (Bergkamp and Vieira for example) won't publicly slate him. Rightly or wrongly, there is a certain level of loyalty to their old boss.

You have to remember they meet each other fairly regularly throughout a season at various matches and events.

Regarding Wrighty, it's sad to see so many on here spitting bile all over a club legend. But then, he really shouldn't be commenting on banners because he's going to upset one side or the other and he really really should not be on social media slating fans that pay their money and travel all over the country and Europe supporting the team.
If they cannot be impartial then they should exclude themselves when their former teams are playing. They are there as pundits, analysts, commentators and NOT as cheerleaders.It's actually outrageous that hard working, loyal fans cannot criticise the manager but they (Wright & Wenger) can criticise the fans. These guys, including Wenger, seem to forget who ultimately pays their wages.

It's ridiculous having past players in the studio when their former teams are playing anyway. The network seems to think these guys can supply special insights, when in reality all they do is show bias.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

maybe should have a word with Wenger and remind him that no one really gives a fuck about the FA Cup anymore, and what has beating a championship reserve team got to do with our failed title challenge??

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

xisstential wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:I'm not sure why so many are surprised by Wrighty's reaction. Very few players will publicly criticize a manager that made them successful in their career. In Wrighty's mind he would never have won a PL winners medal without Wenger. The likes of Keown and Adams had their careers extended (and extended with winners medals) by Wenger. This isn't just ex-Arsenal players. It's the same with players of any club that have won medals. Even ex-players that have very obviously fallen out with Wenger (Bergkamp and Vieira for example) won't publicly slate him. Rightly or wrongly, there is a certain level of loyalty to their old boss.

If they cannot be impartial then they should exclude themselves when their former teams are playing. They are there as pundits, analysts, commentators and NOT as cheerleaders.It's actually outrageous that hard working, loyal fans cannot criticise the manager but they (Wright & Wenger) can criticise the fans. These guys, including Wenger, seem to forget who ultimately pays their wages.

It's ridiculous having past players in the studio when their former teams are playing anyway. The network seems to think these guys can supply special insights, when in reality all they do is show bias.
I think they have past players for teams that are playing on purpose so that they are not impartial. It balances it up if they have one for either side. I like Wrighty, but, I don't think he should get involved with the fans' actions. As has been said, the fans pay the money when they go to the ground and they pay his wages when they subscribe to BT sports, so I wish he would keep his mouth shut on the fans' actions. We've had enough, why shouldn't we be able to voice that?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunner Rob wrote:maybe should have a word with Wenger and remind him that no one really gives a fuck about the FA Cup anymore, and what has beating a championship reserve team got to do with our failed title challenge??
Speak for yourself, mate. I fucking LOVE the FA Cup. Always have. Always will. 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xisstential wrote:

That's the nature of the beast. It will never change.

augie

Post by augie »

He was a bit part player who threw the dummy out of the pram when he was squeezed out by anelka :roll: Some people like to focus solely on the tears and upset he felt about leaving our club, and while I will always acknowledge that, I also wont forget how he was always quick to strop when things werent done for him and him alone :roll:

I can accept if keown or wrighty dont want to come out publicly slating their former manager, but I cannot accept these cu.nts coming out and lashing the fans who have earnt their right to protest :evil: Take a neutral position if they like but dont verbally abuse fans based on nothing but loyalty. I really, really resent the fact that these media w*nkers have the opportunity to publicly disrespect fans without the fans having a chance to respond - the cu.nt that wrote that mirror article is just a moron with zero intelligence and who has abused his position to take a cheap shot at the fans :twisted: If he is so sure of his position on this subject, then why doesnt he do an interview with 2 or 3 of the WOB and allow us fans to put our perspective across ? There are media people, fans of other clubs and many Gooners who just look at things at face value and feel that wenger shouldnt ever be slated - I believe that if they actually sat down a listened or read the reasons why so many of us want him gone, then they wouldnt be as quick to knock us fans

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:

He was a bit part player who threw the dummy out of the pram when he was squeezed out by anelka :roll: Some people like to focus solely on the tears and upset he felt about leaving our club, and while I will always acknowledge that, I also wont forget how he was always quick to strop when things werent done for him and him alone :roll:

I can accept if keown or wrighty dont want to come out publicly slating their former manager, but I cannot accept these cu.nts coming out and lashing the fans who have earnt their right to protest :evil: Take a neutral position if they like but dont verbally abuse fans based on nothing but loyalty. I really, really resent the fact that these media w*nkers have the opportunity to publicly disrespect fans without the fans having a chance to respond - the cu.nt that wrote that mirror article is just a moron with zero intelligence and who has abused his position to take a cheap shot at the fans :twisted: If he is so sure of his position on this subject, then why doesnt he do an interview with 2 or 3 of the WOB and allow us fans to put our perspective across ? There are media people, fans of other clubs and many Gooners who just look at things at face value and feel that wenger shouldnt ever be slated - I believe that if they actually sat down a listened or read the reasons why so many of us want him gone, then they wouldnt be as quick to knock us fans
For me Wrighty is a true club legend. He was often the only bright spark in the often pretty shit league teams we had from 93 - 97 - I'm putting aside the cups we won in those years as we were poor in the PL. As much as I love GG, there is no denying he had turned us from champions to a cup team by the last couple years of his reign. And Wrighty was often the only bit of brilliance in those teams (particularly those years after Limpar had left and before we signed Bergkamp). The amount of games we won 1-0 thanks to a Wrighty goal!

But As I said above, he should not be slating the fans, the same fans that helped make him a millionaire. :|

augie

Post by augie »

I would never criticise wrighty's on pitch contribution cos for me he was an incredible goalscorer - he was your traditional goal poacher and the qualities he had cannot be coached into a player 8) I loved the way he played every minute of every game like it was the most important minute of the game - I remember watching a live sunday tv game (at highbury) many moons ago (it was either against coventry or the scum :? ) and the game was utter, utter shite but wrighty kept going and got the only goal of the game in the 89th or 90th minute 8)
That being said, he is only a cu.nt if he thinks that his goals entitle him to a free pass to publicly criticise those who worshipped him many moons ago :evil:

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

The problem is that with the others you mentioned, are fare more likely to tow the club line. As someone who follows Wright on twitter, I can say, he has been very critical of the club, and decisions made on the field, without mentioning Wenger by name. What gets to people is the double standards of this guy criticising the club whenever he wants, but feeling the need to lash out at fans for having an opinion he doesn't like.

Peeman

Post by Peeman »

Tango man actually said that these fans have to remember where this club was before Wenker came.

We had the greatest defensive unit ever assembled in club football and Dennis, Wright, Merse, Platt, Parlour and played in a magnificent stadium. Ya we definitely need to take a long hard look at ourselves :blah:

perrygrovesworld

Post by perrygrovesworld »

augie wrote:I would never criticise wrighty's on pitch contribution cos for me he was an incredible goalscorer - he was your traditional goal poacher and the qualities he had cannot be coached into a player 8) I loved the way he played every minute of every game like it was the most important minute of the game - I remember watching a live sunday tv game (at highbury) many moons ago (it was either against coventry or the scum :? ) and the game was utter, utter shite but wrighty kept going and got the only goal of the game in the 89th or 90th minute 8)
That being said, he is only a cu.nt if he thinks that his goals entitle him to a free pass to publicly criticise those who worshipped him many moons ago :evil:
Was it a game v Sheffield United? If it was, I went. It was cold and the rain lashed down. I stood on the North Bank and was watching the dullest nil nil of all time and I'd seen a few. As the ninetieth minute drew near, pneumonia settling in, my hands having turned blue and with the North Bank starting to empty I vowed not to celebrate any last minute winner which was never going to happen anyway given what had been served up in the previous 89.

94 minutes in and Ian Wright latches onto a Stevie Morrow long ball, buries it into the bottom corner and I go mental, almost as much as I did with Welbeck's winner v Leicester the other day.

We never learn.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

perrygrovesworld wrote:
augie wrote:I would never criticise wrighty's on pitch contribution cos for me he was an incredible goalscorer - he was your traditional goal poacher and the qualities he had cannot be coached into a player 8) I loved the way he played every minute of every game like it was the most important minute of the game - I remember watching a live sunday tv game (at highbury) many moons ago (it was either against coventry or the scum :? ) and the game was utter, utter shite but wrighty kept going and got the only goal of the game in the 89th or 90th minute 8)
Was it a game v Sheffield United? If it was, I went. It was cold and the rain lashed down. I stood on the North Bank and was watching the dullest nil nil of all time and I'd seen a few. As the ninetieth minute drew near, pneumonia settling in, my hands having turned blue and with the North Bank starting to empty I vowed not to celebrate any last minute winner which was never going to happen anyway given what had been served up in the previous 89.

94 minutes in and Ian Wright latches onto a Stevie Morrow long ball, buries it into the bottom corner and I go mental, almost as much as I did with Welbeck's winner v Leicester the other day.

We never learn.
Sheff Weds I think, mate. seem to remember their goalie (Pressman?) having a good game. Was a pile of shit though.

:barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

perrygrovesworld wrote:

We never learn.
I also remember one he got against citeh. Terrible terrible nil all bore draw material and Wrighty popped up with a diving header to win it late on and then celebrated like he had just scored the winner in a cup final! :lol: 8)