Would Henry’s departure actually be a bad thing? (19/6)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner.ed
Site Admin

Would Henry’s departure actually be a bad thing? (19/6)

Post by gooner.ed »

usual thread starter... you know a little bit of me is already resigned to the man going. the only upside to that i can see is the captaincy situation, but given the choice, i'd rather he was an arsenal player come 1st september. we need his goals.

Al

Post by Al »

Regardless of stats for previous seasons, Henry is clearly not happy at the club and cannot tolerate the younger players who are not a perfect as him. Wenger seems set on giving the youngsters time to develop their game in our first team, but Henry is clearly not the sort of senior player needed to support this policy, especially as captain. Our other players perform better without Henry in the side.

It's the Vieira saga all over again. if he doesn't leave this summer we will have a year of sulks and criticism of team mates until we have the "will he won't he" panto again next summer.

We need to sell him and move on.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Are you having a laugh he ONLY scored 10 league goals from 17 apperances.What more do you want.He missed half of the season for God"s sake.A fully fit Henry will get 30 goals a season full stop,just check his record..Drogba was the premiership"s top scorer and he only scored 19 goals.Do some Arsenal fans wear blinkers when they watch Henry.As well as his goals dont forget all the assists.Of course Henry would be a massive loss.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Donaldo - Maybe its a mark of how good Henry is (or was...?) that the memory of those rare appearances from him last season are judged as poor. I don't think they are playing tricks on us though. Statistics don't tell the whole story. Even when he wasn't injured, by his own high standards he still had a poor season!

goonerk

Post by goonerk »

i completely agree with donaldo. thierry henry, when fit, is the best in the business...fact. Eto, Drogshit, Ronaldo etc are good...but our man is a class above. Im not sure I agree with the youngsters remark tho. In all the interviews Thierry has given, he comes across is almost fatherly in his proctection of our kids. He's always seen having a word in fabs ear, or encoraging walcott. His name on our team sheet strikes fear into opponants. Make no mistake, if we lose Henry, it'll be a HUGE loss. However, I agree, if its going to happen, let it happen NOW.

augie

henry leaving- good or bad

Post by augie »

Stats can be wildly misleading and can be interpretated to suit. I'm no fan of henry and don't care if he is sold(if we get eto or torres) but its hard to score goals when you are sitting in the stands injured. I think most fans would like to see the back of him because of his attitude and comments of late and not his below par performances last season. I will always feel that he is a big game choker

Shane F

Post by Shane F »

10 goals in 17 games is excellent. Anybody who thinks he was past it last season or that he was just sulking and not playing his best has been watching some other player.

It'll be really hard to get another player as good as Henry. He's nowhere near past it.

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

Thierry was never fully fit last season. He may have been able to return after his Injuries but without a full and proper pre season under his belt he was always gonna be under par. When he came back he scored goals. A fully fit Henry is the best player in the world. We simply cannot lose him or it's goodbye to any sort of title challenge over the next few years.

zeus101

Post by zeus101 »

i love thierry, he is an awesome player and absolutely untouchable when on-song. however, his best years are behind him and he is at the end of his 'peak'. if he wants to leave, i say sell him (£15-20 is a pretty good deal for a play who turns 30 in 2 months).

i have to say, a player i would love to replace him is darren bent. proven track record of scoring goals (33 in 68 games for charlton in premiership) for a pretty poor team. imagine what he would do with all the chances we create. not particularly tall (5'11"), but v.good in the air, extremely quick and an instinctive finisher who likes stretching play by getting behind defences (something we have lacked for a while).

as many goals as thierry has scored, he isnt an instictive finisher (only instictive finisher we have is carlos vela - when he gets back from his loan, now that lupoli is leaving) he is just composed in front of goal. every team needs at least one instictive finisher.

DanielD

Post by DanielD »

i have to say, a player i would love to replace him is darren bent.
If we assume thierry will leave (if he leaves, i think he wouldn't) for about £20, do you really think about replacing him, one of the greatest strikers in the history of football, for an overpriced Bent for the same amount of cash?

zeus101

Post by zeus101 »

yes he is overpriced. but £10 plus song and a couple of loanees should do it. i trully believe that bent will score 20 to 25+ per season if he goes to a creative team (i would rather it was us than man u). at 23 he is just about to enter his 'peak' and will be 1st or 2nd in the scoring charts for a good 4 years.

zeus101

Post by zeus101 »

yes he is overpriced. but £10 plus song and a couple of loanees should do it. i trully believe that bent will score 20 to 25+ per season if he goes to a creative team (i would rather it was us than man u). at 23 he is just about to enter his 'peak' and will be 1st or 2nd in the scoring charts for a good 4 years.

zeus101

Post by zeus101 »

I Hate Hleb

WELCOME TO THE HOUSE OF PUN!!

Post by I Hate Hleb »

ZEUS101,

WELCOME TO THE HOUSE OF PUN, I MEAN FUN. :)

PLEASE REFER TO MY THREAD LEARN HOW TO AVOID SENDING REPEAT POSTS ON THE GENERAL DISCUSSION INDEX!! :x :x

(GOONER ED. I THINK I'M GETTING THE HANG OF THIS MODERATING BUSINESS! :wink: )

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

The question here is not about Henry's capability. Without a doubt he guarantees 20-25 goals a season and more. And a number of assists to add to that. The question here is his attitude. He has been a bit too openly critical of the club and fellow players. He has shown his displeasure and said he is tired of fighting for 4th place (I dont think he should complain about this season, cause he has missed a ridiculous number of games, he is as responsible as anyone). In short he doesnt seem to be too happy.

I think he is too influencial in the club and the way it functions than he should and he has got a bit out of hand. No player is bigger than the club. Henry leaving will no doubt be a huge blow for the club, but in the long run it might be whats needed.