gallas new captain

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nuttygoonerpaul

gallas new captain

Post by nuttygoonerpaul »

Gallas handed Arsenal armband
William Gallas has been officially appointed as the new Arsenal captain.

WinterburnsRightFoot

Post by WinterburnsRightFoot »

From Arsenal.com:

Arsène Wenger has confirmed that William Gallas will captain Arsenal during the coming season.

The centre back, who joined from Chelsea less than a year ago, will be supported by vice-captains Gilberto and Kolo Toure on the pitch while Jens Lehmann will have a role off it.

Speaking to Arsenal TV Online on Thursday lunchtime the Arsenal manager outlined the reason for the change. Wenger is in charge of a very young squad this term so he needs to use every scrap of experience.

“The captain will be William Gallas,â€

Chunky The Gooner

Post by Chunky The Gooner »

Well hes got plenty of gob on him !

REB

Post by REB »

i know hes not everyones cup of tea but :mrgreen: i think thats great,, william gallas is a born winner, ok he whines a bit ,, but hes a leader and will be much better then last years captain who shall remain nameless,, aw must be thinking the same,, centre half should be ur captain,, person whos lookin up the pitch and can see everything.. :D

we_are_the_arsenal

Post by we_are_the_arsenal »

interesting, may be unpopular with alot of us. I reckon Gallas has the mental toughness and mentality to help us.

stats

Post by stats »

Jesus there soon to change the captain

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

not happy with that at all :evil: a kickin the teeth for Gilberto after his performances as capt last year

gunners-need-steel

Post by gunners-need-steel »

I have become a convert and welcome this news .. well, for now .. lets watch see how gallas handles things ....

as for Gilberto, yeah shame his work will go unrewarded ... same for Kolo .. but I reckon Gallas will provide more determination and _steele_ (TM) :P

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

I think it means Gilberto wont be a first choice selelection with Diaby and Denilson pushing him for his place.Gallas if fit will always be first choice.Also Toure has the ANC in Jan and Feb

BrusselsNorthbank

Post by BrusselsNorthbank »

I just hope he changes his approach from last season's moans about the lack of experience costing us points and actively encourages the less experienced guys...

As someone once said 'maybe its better to have him inside the tent p.....g out, than outside the tent p.....g in'

Seeing the rumours about Juve and Gilberto, hope this does n't mean anything else...

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

if Gilberto is sold to juve it will be a f##king disater of a summer

Magic Hat

Post by Magic Hat »

Congratulation Gallas on getting such a role. He is certaintly a leader, if he can tone down what he says to the press then I think he will be a very good captain while he is at the club and can have little complaints about his choosing. He works hard, he is a very good player, he leads by example and word on the pitch, he has a lot of experience.

Gilberto must be gutted, such a hard worker and excellent captain for most of last season, he was my personal choice but I hope he gets it when Gallas isn't playing rather then Toure.

WengerKnows

Post by WengerKnows »

i'm gutted , gallas isn't worthy to polish gilberto's or kolo's boots . apart from being a mouthy *word censored* his performances last year were shite .

All_Arsenal_1886

Post by All_Arsenal_1886 »

Fecking SkySPORTS News this morning said Gilberto was Captain with Gallas and Kolo as vice captains

Oh well i don't mide i think they are all good enough to captain the side i just care about the 3pts on sunday :D

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

Please refer to my billy big mouth comments which basically say....

Bloody good choice in my book! Who knows if Gilberto will be here after this season or maybe even if he will be here this season!

I have a feeling that with Abou pushing him and the possible addition of Diarra this will be Bert's last season with us anyhow!