Emmanuel Adebayor

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
T.S

Emmanuel Adebayor

Post by T.S »

Fellow Gooners,

I am intrigued to know what you lot think of our Togolese front man. Personally, I think he's shit and I really don't like him. The same goes for my Dad, but he's a bit more passionate about it. I've recently brought my brother round to my way of thinking, although he reckons that although you can't put your finger on what he brings to the team, he scores goals so you can't knock him.

But I can, and will knock him. The real endearing part of him used to be his work rate. That seems to have gone out the window this season, but I'm willing to put that down to him being unfit.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion (and I encourage it, hence this thread) but it strikes me as peculiar that a player who is clearly so poor gets his name sung as much as he does. It got ridiculous on Sunday. Every time he got anywhere near the ball all I could hear was "Adeeebayoooor...". Now I'm all for us singing, but don't we have another bloody song?!

Anyway, that's my mini rant over so I'm opening the floor to you lot. What do you all think of Adebarndoor, sorry, Adebayor? What do you think he brings to the team? Because I think he brings bugger all!

collins

Post by collins »

i dont think he is as bad as u make out TS he brings a little bit of strength to our front line and he can also hold the ball up.

i agree with him being unfit though, on sunday he was knackered by the time they brought him off

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

Well I think you pretty much nailed it there anyway he certainly didn't blaze a trail last year but we were prepared to give him support because he worked his arse off and he scored the winner at OT, and he certainly is lacking at the moment but I'm prepared to give him more time to see how he does this season, and if he doesn't improve he might make a half decent second choice striker if and when we do buy someone who'll score 20+ goals a season!!!

REB

Post by REB »

he divides all of us i feel,, he wouldnt be my favorite to be honest but i dont dislike him either,, when i watch a game with my club it seems that half give out about him and other half sing his praises,, im hoping that bendner gets a good run at some stage but feel it will only happen if ade gets injured :wink:

Rilo II

Post by Rilo II »

I think he's a great target player, he's out only striker that I think we can play the long ball to, have him win it, hold it up and lay it off. He is rarely beaten in the air, and although his finishing needs a lot of improvement, especially one on one with the keeper, he still scores a fair few (likes an important goal too).
I think it's unfair to question hiswork rate as I think he gives much more than most on the pitch.
He's not and never will be the greatest player in the world, butI think hebrings enough to deserve a spot in our team and sqaud.

I really love watching him jump to head the ball. He goes like 19 feet in the air.

thatgooner

Post by thatgooner »

Personally I like Ade, I think he works hard for the team and has a lot to offer.
He maybe lacks the clinical finish to his game, but can make a great target man.

T.S

Post by T.S »

I expected this to be divisive, so I'm pleased. After all, this is what a forum is for.

I don't think he even works that well as a target man, and I wouldn't encourage the long ball approach anyway, unless it really is a last resort.

WengerKnows

Post by WengerKnows »

i agree 100% with you tonysaunders , i dont think he is good enough to be a starting eleven ( at best a squad player ) . i would rather eduardo , bendtner and walcott be given more of a oppurtunity to show what they have to offer . Ade doesn't have pace , aerial ability , passing , long range shooting or clinical finishing . the only thing he seems to do well is hold up the ball and work hard , which in my opinion is not enough .

Ade has scored a few important goals for us last season but to be honest with the amount of chances we created prcatically anyone could have put a few in . i was hopeing that Ade would develop into a Drogba but sadly it seems a pipe dream . I think its time to give our other 2 strikers a chance to show what they can do .

Maybe i was imaging things but quite a few times against Portsmouth Ade messed up passes and finsishing oppurtunities and it seemed to demorolize the rest of the team . I am not suggesting we should get rid of him but he needs to do more to warrant a regular first team spot .

thatgooner

Post by thatgooner »

Ummm. well this is true lol. But he does hold the ball up well. And i do think he works hard. He gives us an alternative style of play, which is important.
I think he's a confidence player. He can play really well, but if his head gets down he can have a shocker.
But His positives outweight the negatives with me for adebayor.
To be honest the striker im not sure about is eduardo, jurys still out there for me.

liam bradys left foot

Post by liam bradys left foot »

thought he was absolute cackalck againsy city i could have done better but against the pomp he werent too bad bear in mind he has just come back from injury but on a sour note TH14 he aint

Ben-gooner14

Post by Ben-gooner14 »

Im sorry me old mucker saunders, i don't often disagree with you but this time is different, when he moves with the ball yes it's normally in a slow gangly style but just because he's nor haring around constantly with the ball does not mean he is lazy, also if he gives the ball out to hleb or rosicky he won't stop, he'll get his head down and get in the box. Gives arsenal another option with clearences from the back because he can take it down and header it on. From also what u said tony you have brought your brother round to the idea due to pressure on him with ur opinions, as you have said you have brought him round to the idea. I know what pressure on an individaul can do as i was brought round by my cousin to support the gunners.

I had the same doubts over hleb last year frustrated me to many times to mention, and i started to doubt his ability, but kept supporting him thinking things will come right in the end and so he is starting to prove me wrong this season. Remember adebayor had no pre season and has had a couple games back so far, im sure ur views will change when he starts putting the ball in the net on a regular basis.

Good night.

stats

Post by stats »

My view of Adeboyer

He can't run
He can't header a ball
He can't finish
He can't score
No skill
He's moody
& he's far toooo lazy for Arsenal

He may of looked up to KANNNNNUUUUUU but he certainlly isn't as good as what he was
Kanu was pulled out of the Arsenal spotlight because of Henry is the simple way as he was the man to replace Anelka but Henry came
He was the man with the most skills, till Henry came
He could run, Henry could run faster
He had skills (against us on Sunday & Deportivo :wink: ) but Henry showed off more
He scored of course but Henry got more

I can see Wenger getting rid of him & his carrer rioting & never doing anygood out of it
I'd rather pay my money for players like Bendtner who i want Wenger to play more

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

WengerKnows wrote:i was hopeing that Ade would develop into a Drogba but sadly it seems a pipe dream
Well can you remember, what Didier Drogshit was like for at least the first season and a half, nobody could believe that they'd forked out £24M which at the time was a record for a puddin, yet last season he turned into probably the most feared and complete striker in the Prem with unbelievable power, brilliant in the air, scored some absolute belters on the way to winnin the golden boot (not to mention the Carling Cup :( ) and savin the Chavs arses more than once when they were on the verge of defeat!
Now I'm not sayin that Ade is going to turn out to be as good but it's shows that it's not over for him yet, and we can always hope, if he turns out to be anywhere near as good as Drog but without his theatrics then he can repay the patience that was shown him, cos remember Moaninho took some flak when he continued to show faith in his striker when he looked like another expensive flop!

Eboue Can't Defend

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

I'm a fan of Adebayor. No he isn't as skillful as Kanu (who I absolutely loved when he was at Arsenal) but he does have more pace and is better in the air.

I like the fact that he gives us another option rather than playing it on the floor all the time. Also that he gives us some physical presence. His finishing can certainly be improved, yet he did score in almost all the big matches he played in last season, thus displaying a good big-match temperament. 8)

Would I prefer someone with similar attributes but more clinical in front of goal? Well of course I would, but remember that the guy is only 23 years old, so far from the finished item. He can still end up being our Drogba (except for the falling over bit, of course! :oops: :roll: ).

Now he does have his faults, as out-lined by previous contributors, but being lazy certainly can't be considered to be one of them - unless you're comparing him with the Road Runner!!!! :shock: :roll:

For the record, I am also a big fan of Bendtner and think in time he will prove to be world class (you see, I can be optomistic sometimes!).
:wink: :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

Have to say that I too am sitting on the fence on this issue - I think he does work really hard for the team but I do not think he is good enough(in much the same way as I feel about flamini). I do agree with TS when he says that he is against the long ball plan which is why I do not see how bedtner can fit into our team unless the gameplan is changed to suit him and he aint nowhere near good enough for that to happen.

On a similar line of thought I am worried about pinning our hope of goals on rvp. I do not deny his class but in the last few months I did express concerns of how he would react being the main man up front cos now defences are watching him(& not henry) and that appears to be the case. He is being tightly marked and does not possess the speed to get free so we need a prolific partner for him fast so that it will ease the pressure & responsibility on his shoulders.

By the way can the fans of ade, who claim that at 23 he is still a young man learning the game, please tell me at what age should we expect him to be ready. As i said above i aint no critic as such but f*ck me if he aint ready at 23 then he never will be :? :?