'champions' league - group stages

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
ambarron

'champions' league - group stages

Post by ambarron »

does anyone else just have a huge feeling of apathy about these every year???

I personally feel an open draw is the way forward, Fuck all this first seed second seed bollloks, the way it stands unless we played our ladies team (or Flappy in EVERY game) we are always gonna qualify.

Even then its the same old teams - us, chelsea, man u, Barca, bayern, lyon etc frankly I am starting to tire of it

In fact Fuck it I've decided I'm not even gonna watch the second half

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Must say I look forward to our inevitable raping in the quarters by a top side ever year.

HashKads

Post by HashKads »

We'll go out anyway so better to get knocked out sooner rather than later.

nexum5me

Post by nexum5me »

rodders999 wrote:Must say I look forward to our inevitable raping in the quarters by a top side ever year.

that's pretty much the highlight of my football calendar too. especially if it's man utd or chelsea

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

It is a bit shite like- you could pick almost all of the teams who are going to go through. The first knockout round isnt much better. Only gets good at the quarter final stage (yes, yes, i wouldnt complain if sunderland qualified etc :wink: )

Edit: boring trips as well for the most part- your game tonight would be a canny trip, but too many capital cities etc nowadays- in that respect the europa league is better, you get a few trips to mental small towns in latvia and the likes)

JMascis666

Post by JMascis666 »

At least they've done away with the 2nd group stage.

perry groves was a legend

Post by perry groves was a legend »

JMascis666 wrote:At least they've done away with the 2nd group stage.
There were some tasty games in the 2nd group phase if memory serves me correct.

JMascis666

Post by JMascis666 »

It just made the competition so bloated it defied believe.

12 games before you reach the quarters.

Irish Gooner

Post by Irish Gooner »

Agreed it is a bit shite. But they won't change it, every team wants the money from the 6 games.

Bring Back Pires

Post by Bring Back Pires »

JMascis666 wrote:It just made the competition so bloated it defied believe.

12 games before you reach the quarters.
Y'know, in the seasons we played CL qualifiers, we played 10 games before reaching the quarters. Not much difference.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

kingjayson1 wrote:We'll go out anyway so better to get knocked out sooner rather than later.
Thats the spirit :lol:

digger

Post by digger »

Arsenal are one of the few clubs who get anywhere near a full stadium in the group stages. Check out the Italian stadiums - didn't Juventus get something like 15,000 in a few years ago?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Have to be honest I prefered the old European Cup format. No fucking messing around playing teams that finished 4th(!) in their league. The CL is a load of old ***** - too many boring nothing games. But we are stuck with it.

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

Yes, I would love to go back to the original format of the C.L. (European Cup) but, that isn't ever going to happen, UEFA brought this in, to placate the all the top European teams to ward off a breakaway European league.

Swale_Gooner1985

Post by Swale_Gooner1985 »

I was saying this last night, the games dont have the feel to them they used to. I remember loving it in the days we played PSV, Roma, Inter etc in our group, used to be massively up for those games. Nowadays it just seems a bit of a formality?! we keep tending to get drawn in fairly easy groups and coasting them

I did enjoy the game last night though i have to say, decent game, however the overall feel of the group stages has definitely lost something