What unusual foods have you eaten?

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
QuartzGooner

What unusual foods have you eaten?

Post by QuartzGooner »

With the growing horsemeat scandals, what foods have you eaten that are considered unusual, and how did you enjoy them, or not?

Cannot volunteer much more exotic than goat, which I thought was tasty if a little greasy.

* Disclaimer One: I think it a near certainty that Hashkads has been gulping "horse meats" for years.

*Disclaimer Two: We already know what feline delicacy DB10Gooner munches on the regular.

flash gunner

Re: What unusual foods have you eaten?

Post by flash gunner »

Ive eaten pigs ears while in Madrid and im not talking about the women :wink: but seriously there were chopped, in some sort of sauce and very nice

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Can't say I've managed too many adventurous foods either - I enjoyed goat the first time I ate it in Gran Canaria in a fantastic casserole-type dish, also had it in a curry at a Carribbean restaurant which was unfortunately pretty average (not down to the quality of the meat though).

I would try almost anything though, love my food and I'm really not fussy. I would happily eat horse meat but would prefer it if (similar to a lobster tank) I was able to go to a field and pick out the horse I wanted, which was then led away to slaughter in front of a sobbing young girl who had grown up with it. I really hate horses.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

QuartzGooner wrote:With the growing horsemeat scandals, what foods have you eaten that are considered unusual, and how did you enjoy them, or not?

Cannot volunteer much more exotic than goat, which I thought was tasty if a little greasy.

* Disclaimer One: I think it a near certainty that Hashkads has been gulping "horse meats" for fun.

*Disclaimer Two: We already know what feline delicacy DB10Gooner munches on the regular.
Yep. Slurp slurp. Can't beat a bit of warm wet poon. 8)

I love trying other cuisines. Have eaten;

Witchetty grub (or witjuti grub) - in Australia as a kid at a school "Get to know the Aborigines" thing. Not great tbh. Raw is pretty awful, kind of almondy taste. Cooked is a bit better, the skin crisps up a bit like roast chicken. Still pretty bad though.

Snail - Paris. Visiting French girlfriend at the time. She dared me to try them. There is something seriously wrong with the French. :wink:

Frog's legs - See "Snail" above.

Rat - Hong Kong, end of season footy jaunt. Sold as "Hong Kong White meat Curry". These aren't your normal European dirty bastard rats. They are bred in captivity and produce a grey/whiter, plumper meat. Could only taste the curry sauce it was in tbh, but the texture was a bit like turkey.

Urinating Shrimp - Hong Kong too. Hilariously named but turns out it's just a type of lobster. Damn tasty though.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

northbank123 wrote:Can't say I've managed too many adventurous foods either - I enjoyed goat the first time I ate it in Gran Canaria in a fantastic casserole-type dish, also had it in a curry at a Carribbean restaurant which was unfortunately pretty average (not down to the quality of the meat though).

I would try almost anything though, love my food and I'm really not fussy. I would happily eat horse meat but would prefer it if (similar to a lobster tank) I was able to go to a field and pick out the horse I wanted, which was then led away to slaughter in front of a sobbing young girl who had grown up with it. I really hate horses.
:lol: :lol:

Careful mate too much reading Sid's posts infects your soul with hatred and venom :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

northbank123 wrote:Can't say I've managed too many adventurous foods either - I enjoyed goat the first time I ate it in Gran Canaria in a fantastic casserole-type dish, also had it in a curry at a Carribbean restaurant which was unfortunately pretty average (not down to the quality of the meat though).

:shock: :shock: :shock:

fer fucks sake dude YOU NEED HELP.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote: Rat - Hong Kong, end of season footy jaunt. Sold as "Hong Kong White meat Curry". These aren't your normal European dirty bastard rats. They are bred in captivity and produce a grey/whiter, plumper meat. Could only taste the curry sauce it was in tbh, but the texture was a bit like turkey.
The only meat the SAS won't eat in a survival situation, because of risk of disease.
To be honest turned my stomach hearing you had eaten them!

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

Sheeps intestines, stuffed with rice.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Once (when I was a student) for a bet ate half a jar of live worms.....

Threw up 5 minutes later...BUT I won the bet £50 (back in the 70's) and a crate of Beer! :high5: :cheers: :D

On another occasion a pint of raw eggs...after a night on the piss....again won the bet then threw up later... :D :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

QuartzGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote: Rat - Hong Kong, end of season footy jaunt. Sold as "Hong Kong White meat Curry". These aren't your normal European dirty bastard rats. They are bred in captivity and produce a grey/whiter, plumper meat. Could only taste the curry sauce it was in tbh, but the texture was a bit like turkey.
The only meat the SAS won't eat in a survival situation, because of risk of disease.
To be honest turned my stomach hearing you had eaten them!
:lol:

TBH we only found out what we were eating after about 5 or 6 mouthfuls when the smiling English guy at the next table told us. Nice of him to keep schtum until we'd actually eaten some of it! :lol:

The thought of it is actually alot worse than the eating, but I'd not be looking to try it again. :wink:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Snails and ostrich are about as unusual as I've eaten, unless you count a heavily hemmorhaging beaver. :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:Snails and ostrich are about as unusual as I've eaten, unless you count a heavily hemmorhaging beaver. :wink:
Those fucking Twilight movies!! :banghead: :banghead:

:-P :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

goonersid wrote:Snails and ostrich are about as unusual as I've eaten, unless you count a heavily hemmorhaging beaver. :wink:
:shock: Bloody Hell! :mrgreen:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Snails and frogs legs - both of which were ok.

Gator tail in Florida

Shark steak

the little worm in the tequila bottle.

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

StuartL wrote:Snails and frogs legs - both of which were ok.

Gator tail in Florida

Shark steak

the little worm in the tequila bottle.

DB10 related?