Laudrup Sacked - Bergkamp to take over?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gp543

Laudrup Sacked - Bergkamp to take over?

Post by gp543 »

Things haven't been quite right since that nonsense with his agent last summer and the Europa League has taken its toll on his side.

Still, this seems a very strange one. Spent a few minutes thinking and couldn't come up with a single job that would be open in the next 6-9 months for him to walk into.

falkirk goon

Re: Laudrup Sacked

Post by falkirk goon »

I can think of a job he could walk into in the next 6-9 months 8) fucking shocking if he has been sacked mind..won them a cup last season yet we have a balloon in charge who hasnt won a pot in 8 going on 9 years :oops:

augie

Post by augie »

That is a disgraceful decision - hope the c*nts get relegated now :x I know all chairman tell porky pies but that lying b*stard said that the board just met up for a coffee yesterday and there was nothing sinister in it :roll:

Wouldn't be my first choice to replace wenker but would certainly be happy enough if he got the job

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Swansea were always going to drop further down the league before plateauing. The only reason they maintained their position in their second season was because they sold replaceable players at vastly inflated prices (Sinclair, Allen, Graham) and invested shrewdly (Michu, Chico Flores).

Selling your best players and replacing them on the cheap is not a healthy way to run a football team (we would know!) and it'll catch up with you sooner or later. Laudrup could have sold Michu and Vorm for £25-30m and bought cheaper replacements and had another good season but fundamentally they don't have the infrastructure to be a good PL club long term. To be fair to Laudrup he could have done exactly that and had a ready-made excuse about how they couldn't keep hold of key players but he didn't - he was ambitious and refused to sell Michu and gambled on Bony. Just didn't work out unfortunately for him.

Completely empathise with Huw Jenkins though, he's tried the only thing he can and I wouldn't really call it a panic measure. Laudrup was never going to be there long-term as he'd have buggered off first chance he got to a bigger club, new manager might give them a shot in the arm to help them steer clear of the worst of the relegation battle and the game against Cardiff Saturday is going to be absolutely huge.

Herd

Post by Herd »

I hated the Jack bastards anyway for employing the handbag thief Nathan Dyer ,so now I can hate them more !
Really hope Cardiff stay up and they go down !

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Seems like an absolutely terrible descision, that must cost a lot in compensation to him. Hasnt Micu been out for a while? Not really Laudrups fault :?

Wasnt that long ago he was the messiah. So now they will I expect pick one of the others on the merry go round. Its not as despicable as whats going on at Leeds ( :oops: ) and if they hold out I expect that McDermott will be available soon :rubchin:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Theoperator wrote:Seems like an absolutely terrible descision, that must cost a lot in compensation to him. Hasnt Micu been out for a while? Not really Laudrups fault :?

Wasnt that long ago he was the messiah. So now they will I expect pick one of the others on the merry go round. Its not as despicable as whats going on at Leeds ( :oops: ) and if they hold out I expect that McDermott will be available soon :rubchin:
Obviously not Laudrup's fault he's been injured but he took the gamble of keeping him. He could have sold him for double his worth in the summer but he insisted on keeping him and they spend £20m without recouping a penny.

Ultimately I think there is too much focus on past record. The chairman clearly felt they were in real danger of going down under Laudrup and the longer they waited to sack him the less effective and more of a blatant panic measure it was going to be. If he honestly feels that they have more chance of staying up with a new manager than Laudrup that's a fair reason to sack him imo.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Daily Fail and ESPN link Bergkamp to the job?

Like to see him manage in the Premiership, if he wants to be a manager rather than a coach that is.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/279979.html

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

QuartzGooner wrote:Daily Fail and ESPN link Bergkamp to the job?

Like to see him manage in the Premiership, if he wants to be a manager rather than a coach that is.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/279979.html
Not surprised to see Bergkamp linked. Will he feel it's the right time to step into management though? I personally don't think he'll be too keen on these circumstances. Unable to make any signings, no time to work with the team and team could potentially find itself in the Championship in a few months.

Bergkamp has been exceptionally patient - look at his coaching/assistant manager CV and compare it to clowns like Southgate, Shearer and Keane who dived straight in. He'll know he can't walk into a PL job at any time he chooses but I have no doubt he's an exceptionally thorough individual and will not relish being plunged into a sinking ship like this.

Happysteveo

Re: Laudrup Sacked - Bergkamp to take over?

Post by Happysteveo »

In Bergkamp's autobiography he says he doesn't want to be a manager.

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

Paddy was mentioned earlier. I don't want two of ours going anywhere near that pikey scum club.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Happysteveo wrote:In Bergkamp's autobiography he says he doesn't want to be a manager.
This ^. The Dennis has a vision for how the game should be played and he said in his autobiography that coaching is the best way for him to share that vision. So Sayeth the Lord Bergkamp. Verily. Amen. 8)

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Bergkamp's fear of flying would hinder his managerial prospects. Maybe managing Man Utd next season might suit him better when he may not have any games in Europe to worry about.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Seems strange to wait until the transfer window is closed to sack the manager, especially just before their derby.

Not that I'm bothered. There shouldn't be Welsh teams in the English league as long as Wales has a national side (I know they only just count).

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:Seems strange to wait until the transfer window is closed to sack the manager, especially just before their derby.

Not that I'm bothered. There shouldn't be Welsh teams in the English league as long as Wales has a national side (I know they only just count).
:shock:

Father_Ted - quick, was that racist??!! :shock: :shock:

Oh, hang on - you can't post anymore... :lol: :wink: