Who do people support where you live?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
topcat

Who do people support where you live?

Post by topcat »

Sometimes it does my head in being exiled to mid wales before I knew any different, not having gooners to share the good/bad times with... I'd say in order of support here its something like:

1) Liverpool
2) Man United
3) Everton
4) Villa
5) Wolves
6) Shrewsbury Town
7) Man City

Then after that as for the London clubs I've never met a west ham fan here, ever.. then Spuds, Chelsea and Us are all densely populated with fans, just know the odd few of each...

So I was just wondering who u guys are surrounded by? Who do you associate and work with?

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Re: Who do people support where you live?

Post by LDB »

South West London/Surrey

Chelsea mostly
Probably then close between us and the red mancs
Liverpool and a handful of filth

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

I live in north london so thats a pretty obvious list, with manure probably the first non london club that people support, so ill do my list based on a place that I worked in Central London, ironically it is a company that has jewish heritage:

1) Arsenal
2) Tottenham
3) Chelsea
4) Man United
5) Liverpool
6) Man City
7) Leeds
8)Crystal Palace
9) Fulham
Last edited by nut flush gooner on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

bit like you, but i moved to mid wales 10 years ago, spent most of my life living in Surrey before that.

I work with:

5 Man U
5 Liverpool
3 Tottenham
2 Leeds
1 Chelsea
1 Nottingham Forest

find it bit odd, there is no loyalty towards Welsh clubs from Welsh people, I had 5 Welsh Liverpool fans gloating because they whack Cardiff 6-3, when it comes to the Rugby, the Welsh are die hard towards their Country.

topcat

Post by topcat »

Rosie_titters wrote:bit like you, but i moved to mid wales 10 years ago, spent most of my life living in Surrey before that.

I work with:

5 Man U
5 Liverpool
3 Tottenham
2 Leeds
1 Chelsea
1 Nottingham Forest

find it bit odd, there is no loyalty towards Welsh clubs from Welsh people, I had 5 Welsh Liverpool fans gloating because they whack Cardiff 6-3, when it comes to the Rugby, the Welsh are die hard towards their Country.
Oh yeah forgot about Leeds.

But yeah totally agree, welsh rugby fans p1ss me off so much! Exactly the same here like you said.

k1tsun3

Post by k1tsun3 »

I live and work in SE London and it's a pretty even toss up between Arsenal and Chelsea, depending on where you're at. Then I would say Manure and L'pool. I was working near Woolwich Arsenal, so in that area, seems the Arsenal support is still very strong.

When I lived in Dublin, L'pool was defo the top with Manure coming in close second. I never actually met an Arsenal supporter or Chelsea supporter in the 3 years I lived there, but I have met several since on forums and at pubs before matches.

One question I have is how to Fulham find people to fill their seats during matches. No disrespect meant by that, but I've just never met a Fulham supporter in London. I went to uni with 1 in the states, but he only started following them because of Dempsey.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Back in Cardiff and the South-East Wales Valleys United are the most 'supported' team, also loads of Liverpool 'fans'. I genuinely know relatively few proper Cardiff fans, but plenty who claim to support Cardiff when they're doing well but the rest of the time it's United or Liverpool. Also Arsenal fans dotted round and the Jacks start appearing the further west you head, with everything west of Port Talbot being Swansea rather than Cardiff. Think it's the same story there with the old "I support Swansea and.....".

I remember going to Ninian Park the year after Cardiff got promoted to the Championship and they were doing okay - about mid-table halfway through the season. They didn't get 10,000 at any of the games I went to which given it was their highest position in years and the huge geographical pull Cardiff have says everything you need to know about the fans. No problem selling out for trips to Wembley though where it's all "CCFC til I die" etc.

Have 'studied' and worked up in Nottingham for 4 and a half years, from the locals I've worked with there have actually been a lot of (clueless) Arsenal fans as well as a fair amount of Forest fans and a few Derby supporters (only about 15 miles away so a lot of people commute from that way). But as with a lot of city centres the most replica shirts on display are United and it was an utter mong-fest when I watched United v Newcastle in Walkabout full of plastic wankers. When van Judas scored that offside equaliser it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. As I said seems to be a fair amount of Forest fans about but haven't met that many County supporters.

Daycat

Post by Daycat »

From Swansea id say its
1) Swansea
2) Man Utd
3) Liverpool
4) Arsenal

Have some Chelsea. Leeds fans etc
A lot of people though have only started supporting Swansea since they came up to the premier league

Ryanswannell

Post by Ryanswannell »

I come from a town in the East Midlands about 60 miles away from London, but there are a lot of Arsenal fans here, but we are still outnumbered by Man Utd. fans. A few Chelsea shirts seem to have sprung up over recent seasons as well, I wonder why :rubchin: ?

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

A poll done a few years ago reported that 40% of people 'support' Madrid. If not Madrid then Barca, but with probably only a quarter of the support that Madrid get. I'm glad that locals, and especially the young are getting into our local team, Granada, but they're still pretty scarce comparatively.

adacuerz

Post by adacuerz »

I moved to Doncaster 10 years ago and round these parts it's

1. Man Utd
2. Leeds
3. Sheffield Wed
4. Liverpool
5. Man city

UlsterGooner

Post by UlsterGooner »

Utd Liverpool and Leeds would be the most supported teams in Northern Ireland

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

colchester & ipswich shirts seen quite a bit being in north essex but plenty of Arsenal, sp*rs united, chelsea and liverpool shirts seen too. It does make me laugh when i see some people in city shirt :lol: where were they 5 or 10 years ago? When you didnt see a city shirt outside of manchester?

augie

Post by augie »

Around here it always seemed that manure were the ones who had the biggest support but with the victims going well this season I am not as sure as I was. I am absolutely stunned that on my son's under 13 team, over half of them support the victims :shock: :shock:

I suppose the order is something like this -

1. manure
2. victims
3. our scummy neighbours
4. us
5. leeds

A chav supporting c*nt moved over here from London a few years ago but we don't talk cos he knows I would cut his fcuking throat :evil: :evil: :evil:

REB

Post by REB »

in limerick arsenal have quiet a good support and the local supporters club had over 120 members
but its

man u
Liverpool
arsenal
celtic
and that's about it really, a few Chelsea,spu&s and man city shirts but not many