[POLL] Who should be back-up to Coquelin?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Who should be main back-up to Coquelin?

Arteta
12%
Flamini
6%
Ramsey
No votes
Chambers
18%
Gibbs
12%
Debuchy
No votes
O'Connor
18%
Bielik
29%
Kamara
6%

Total votes: 17

QuartzGooner

[POLL] Who should be back-up to Coquelin?

Post by QuartzGooner »

When Coquelin is out, we struggle.

I also struggle.
To understand how we did not buy another defensive midfielder this summer?

Unlikely that Coquelin can hold it together on his own for 50+ games this season, no one player can do that in that position.
Booking are too frequent, injuries too likely.

So who should be our main back-up option, to partner Cazorla when Coquelin is out?

I contend that Flamini has lost a lot of form since he re-joined.

Arteta was never really a defensive midfielder, he is more of a continuity midfielder, but since coming back from his injury has lost form.

I like Ramsey more than most on the Forum but I see him as a box-to-box player, rather than a defensive midfielder.

Chambers has the raw material, but is sorely lacking experience and confidence.

O'Connor, Bielik and Kamara have all trained with the first team squad, but all are young and lack experience.

I would actually try Gibbs there...he played there earlier in his career, can tackle, has plenty of first team experience and has a bit of pace.

Theoperator

Re: Who should be back-up to Coquelin?

Post by Theoperator »

The list sums it up Quartz- right riches of talent there :oops: :oops: . Really wouldnt trust Gibbs there, hasnt he been played there a few times coming on as sub though seem to think he did in the Charity shield and honestly we just clung on from the moment he was on the pitch :oops: . The main issue is his terrible injury record of course.

Even when not actually injured Gibbs not too often drops onto the floor looking like hes injured. :oops:

northbank123

Re: [POLL] Who should be back-up to Coquelin?

Post by northbank123 »

I swear you've made some of those names up :lol:

Arteta over Flamini. Purely because I like Arteta and think that Flamini is a prick. They're both equally incapable.

Fuck it why not play Chambers there. He apparently used to be a DM until he was advised at Southampton that RB would offer more first team opportunities. He's certainly damaged goods in defence right now (kid not ready to step straight into CL defence - shocker).

Coquelin has earned the right to fight for a place but it should be along an established DM which would foster healthy competition, tactical versatility and injury cover.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Arteta over Captain Stupid Flamoney every day because Arteta has a brain and makes less stupid mistakes. Unfortunately Arteta's legs have gone and he simply cannot keep up with the pace anymore. Captain Stupid offers nothing except arm waving, vigorous clapping and lots of yelling. So really, neither.

TBH Coq has done well but he should be back up to a better top class DM. :|

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I've gone with Arteta purely because the others have too little experience and even though his legs have gone he's really all we've got

If i had a second choice i'd give Chambers a chance just to see if he could hack it, especially in games where he could play alongside Coq to get a bit of experience and would be less exposed, whether we'd ever be set up that way is a different argument.

donaldo71

Post by donaldo71 »

To those suggesting Chambers have you seen him play?Disaster at RB disaster at CB lets see if he can be a disaster at DM as well.You know what i dont give a f*ck who is back up just like the manager doesnt give a f*ck

markyp

Post by markyp »

the answer is Jack but hes a perma crock :shock:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Tom O'Connor for me........ Scouse *word censored*

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Who should be back up to the man who should be back up?

Who watches the watchmen?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:Arteta over Captain Stupid Flamoney every day because Arteta has a brain and makes less stupid mistakes. Unfortunately Arteta's legs have gone and he simply cannot keep up with the pace anymore. Captain Stupid offers nothing except arm waving, vigorous clapping and lots of yelling. So really, neither.

Aaaaah yes, but no one and I mean NO One can point and shout like captain stoopido. :wink:

Go on pull my finger.....................................................................................................PARP!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Journo; "Arsene why did you re-sign Flamini ??"

AW: "Because ee can doo zees...."

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:Who should be back up to the man who should be back up?

And who watches the watcher of the watcher of the watcher of the watchman?

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

:roll:
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Arteta over Captain Stupid Flamoney every day because Arteta has a brain and makes less stupid mistakes. Unfortunately Arteta's legs have gone and he simply cannot keep up with the pace anymore. Captain Stupid offers nothing except arm waving, vigorous clapping and lots of yelling. So really, neither.

Aaaaah yes, but no one and I mean NO One can point and shout like captain stoopido. :wink:

Go on pull my finger.....................................................................................................PARP!

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

Went with Bielik. We paid decent money for him if I recall correctly. Arteta is too slow and is a passenger. Flamini is slow and a red card waiting to happen.

May as well give a young guy the chance.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

SteveO 35 wrote:Who should be back up to the man who should be back up?

:lol: :lol: