THE WENGER CULT

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Ted B

Post by Ted B »

cant be agged to start another thread but would like to state that it's not as simple as a major clearout + new signings = instant succes.

realistic view?

silvestre out
denilson out

vidic like centre half in
vieira like defensive mid in

& maybe add a first choice GK or CF while we're at it.

also, Ade is lazy & greedy, but there are a lack of options if he is sold. not many players could bag 30odd in the worlds best league, in their mid 20s, like he did last season. if he learned the offside rule and worked his guts off a bit, not to mention steering clear of injuries, then i see no reason why he can't repeat last seasons form.

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

Percy Dalton wrote:
Every other Arsenal manager who has brought us success has been sacked after their standards declined (apart from those that died or took brown envelopes). Why should it be different for Wenger?

Really?

As far as I'm aware managers who we have sacked (who didn't take brown paper envelopes) include:

Bruce Rioch - never brought us any success

Terry Neil - won 1 FA Cup in 7 years. Bit different from winning 2 doubles, 3 titles and 4 FA Cups.

Billy Wright - never brought us success

So you've just told us that Wenger has exceptional treatment, with absolutely nothing to back it up.

REB

Post by REB »

bertie mee was sacked a couple of seasons after the double and uefa cup success.

we got lucky as a football club with wenger but time stands still for no man and maybe it is time for wenger to evaluate his own standings as our manager

Gunnersaurus

Re: THE WENGER CULT

Post by Gunnersaurus »

goonersid wrote:I have come to the conclusion that those on here who still support Wenger have been recruited into some kind of "wenger cult".
All the signs are there, blindly following their divine leader, blissfully unaware of his ineptittude, his lies and deceit, basically taking the piss out of the lot of em. Hypnotising them with his sophisticated french accent, casing them to bow before his feet at the uttering of certain key words "belief" "potential" etc you know the crap I'm talking about.
Yes they have all been brainwashed and are willing to follow their almighty leader over the cliff which wenger is steering us all towards.
Wake up for fuck sake and smell the fucking coffee! Before it's too late.
Oh look, another anti Wenger thread by Sid.

wlchuccc

Post by wlchuccc »

If we beat ManU in the league game later this month, AW will say we beat the Champion twice. We were not that bad. We show a good spirit/good character/all bullshit! I believe we can win a trophy next season with the same squad, WTF :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

REBEL GOONER wrote:bertie mee was sacked a couple of seasons after the double and uefa cup success.

we got lucky as a football club with wenger but time stands still for no man and maybe it is time for wenger to evaluate his own standings as our manager
No we didn't rebel, he retired.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertie_Mee

REB

Post by REB »

if i remember rightly reading in his book he was kinda told to retire or else, the club wanted someone younger and bertie mee had enough of been told what to do and who to buy by the board, ie alan ball

Exiled-Gooner

Post by Exiled-Gooner »

Wenger reminds me of those film trailers you get at the cinema where it promises action,storylines and great ending BUT when you go and see it it's pants!!!.
To be honest fellows gooner's and goonesses we just not good enough to challenge the top 3 or for a major trophy! and on the basis of this season we are being caught up especially i feel by everton and Wenger has to take most of the blame.Admittedly he has brought this great club of ours great success in the league and F.A cup and on 1 occasion a C/L final but since the invincible season he has not really built on that squad,he has changed his transfer policy from buying experience to youngsters?he has kept a rigid policy on age and wages for which i feel has been detrimental sometimes to the club while others club's have either kept faith or gambled with i;e giggs,friedel etc (but not all) and have succeed.
Now are we to think,as Arsenal put out,that Wenger has control of the playing side and transfer's or is it more to the truth that due to building the grove the board have put a restraint on the money for transfers?and are worried there might have to dip in there pockets for cash or lose money.This doesn't shift the blame as it's wenger who choose's the player's and organises the team and tactic's.We lost 3 player's from last season's squad when having been 7 points ahead and then bottle it and finish 3rd and he hasn't really replaced them and the main position that we all crying for him to fill is the DM which flamini so greatly done last season,instead he put in at best squad players who ONLY would not have got a sniff in our teams of the past and he has lumbered with a striker who clearly has no right to wear the colours of THE ARSENAL!!!
So wenger you have a choice either get some backbone and start clearing out the shit and recruit experience GOOD players who are willing to play for THE ARSENAL and so blend with the youth or to be honest fuck off and destroy someone else!!!!!Next year will be my 40th year of following this great club and i have seen us when we have been really shit and got the end of there career players for 1 last pay day and recent wenger's successful time which,like the rest of us ,has brought me great joy!!but i don't want to see us go back down the road of being a club of could of or nearly of's when the chance for wenger to put it right is chucked away because of his ego!!!It's no good him telling us these kids will win something it's how long are we to wait??it's been clear this season that, to be truthful, there not up to the task,simple as that,we can beat teams lower than us that's expected but when we come up against the top 3 or in the latter stages of the C/L we can't step up to the plate, this is where it matters most and has shown our lack of squad quality and exposed our deficiencies which wenger keeps on covering up.Buying Arshavin has proved a point,he has transformed the team but if wenger continue's with this policy of youth etc etc then i expect the same as this season again and again and again.WHICH IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!
FOREVER ARSENAL!!!!!!! :twisted:
Last edited by Exiled-Gooner on Wed May 06, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corkbarry

Post by corkbarry »

I copied and pasted from a local paper :oops:

ARSENE WENGER once revealed how life in Japan, his home for a year while in charge of Grampus Eight, had changed him.

"I come from a Latin culture and it’s instant overreaction most of the time," he reflected. "You can kill someone in a second by overreacting. I learned a lot about control in Japan."

If so, Wenger clearly has work to do, for when the TV cameras zoomed in for an unforgiving close-up early on in last night’s hopelessly one-sided semi-final, the Arsenal manager looked as if he had just been given the kind of news usually only delivered in a doctor’s waiting room.

Ashen-faced, drawn and dead-eyed, Wenger drew his hands over his head and pulled it towards his knees and held it there, the very epitome of abject suffering. All that was missing was a Munch-esque scream.

This, ultimately, was a defeat which did more than simply snuff out Arsenal’s dream of a first ever Champions League: instead, it represented the ultimate rebuke to Wenger’s philosophy, encapsulated in that early moment when Kieran Gibbs’ slip on the skiddy turf allowed Ji-Sung Park plunder an early goal.

Anyone can lose their footing, of course, and Gibbs would not have been playing had Gael Clichy not suffered his untimely back injury. But the symbolism of an Arsenal greenhorn, promoted to the first team before his time, rubber-stamping United’s passage to Rome could not have been lost on Wenger.

The Frenchman’s faith in his Arsenal project borders on the evangelical but, for all his promises that a golden sun will finally emerge in north London and leave the rest of the footballing world in shadow, he has neglected to notice the storm clouds gathering over his own shoulder.

The tempest is now upon him. Last night’s crushing defeat not only brought Arsenal’s season to a shuddering halt but could also spell the end for this team, who have found the glittering legacy of the 2004 Invincibles a burden, not a blessing.

Some will not be missed. Emmanuel Adebayor, whose self-interested pursuit of a move to Milan last summer was highlighted by Wenger as a major factor in Arsenal’s leaden-footed start to the season, will surely get his way before the new campaign dawns.

The Togolese has cut a largely disinterested figure this term and on the occasions his team needed him most – the two legs against United and the FA Cup semi-final with Chelsea – he duly disappeared.

Few will mourn his passing. There will be other Adebayors but even keen-eyed talent-spotters such as Wenger will struggle to unearth another Cesc Fabregas. The Spaniard protested his loyalty to Wenger’s cause passionately in the build-up to last night’s tie but, to his native press at least, his feelings have been couched in less definitive terms. Certainly, there is no reason for Barcelona or Real Madrid to be discouraged as the seek to prise him away this summer.

William Gallas’ influence was missed last night and could yet vanish on a permanent basis as he seeks one more splash of silver before retirement, while Theo Walcott and Robin van Persie, yet to agree terms on new contracts, could be made offers they cannot refuse.

As he wakes this morning, even Wenger – a man so in love with his job that he makes sure anniversary dinners with his wife do not coincide with a televised match that demands his attention – might struggle to muster the motivation to once again climb into the preacher’s pulpit.

But it is now he needs his powers of persuasion more than ever. Fail to convince his most treasured tyros that the sun will eventually shine on north London, and Wenger’s grand gospel will turn to dust.